24 replies to this topic

#1 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

okay i was tring to double check what someone told me and i cant find it. he said and he is a avid bow hunter. something to the fact that archery season for deer is from august to december?? and that if u have a archery tag it can be used for either sex and any zone. is this true and if so, where is it because i cant find it and im now confused lol thx
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

Definately not true. Check the big game regulations. Seasons are clearly spelled out.

#3 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

so archery tags are zone specific too. like rifles
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#4 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

i wonder why he said that. yikes

#5 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

A31 tag is good for LA county more or less from September to December if I remember correctly.

#6 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:03 PM

it looks like a lot of either sex tags. i thought we were only able to get 2 tags max. i need to call fish and game, if i can only get two tags. what is the advantage of bow hunting then

#7 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:26 AM

What I found when I started flinging arrows was that there were a lot less hunters in a given area, deer weren't spooked yet, you had an extended hunting season and idiots needed to get within about 70 yards are so to shoot at you by accident.
Watching the government rape the 4th to pillage the 2nd.

#8 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

what is the advantage of bow hunting then

You get to go out and have first pick at deer before rifle hunters and all the idiots that shoot at anything that moves.

#9 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

If you get a A01 Tag or A02 tag you can hunt in many different zone (check DFG web). But the all have to be antlered deer.. I could only wish we could shoot Does, we would all be eatting deer..

#10 bretmoua

bretmoua

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

From what I know, archery hunting is from the beginning of A zone to the end of D Zone. Well, it's D for me because I'm not willing to travel too far LOL. Last year, I started archery hunting in mid July, if I'm correct. Different zones have different archery season. A zone started early and D zone started in mid August. This is coming from memory so a little info may be off a little. With the archery tag, you can basically hunt in any zone except for X zones. At least, that's what I was told from the lady who sold me the tag at the fish and game office.

#11 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

What I found when I started flinging arrows was that there were a lot less hunters in a given area, deer weren't spooked yet, you had an extended hunting season and idiots needed to get within about 70 yards are so to shoot at you by accident.

+2

#12 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

I could only wish we could shoot Does, we would all be eatting deer..

I took one of each this year G-10.

#13 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

Always have this book marked http://www.dfg.ca.go...ng/hunting.htmlThere are archery only hunts usually 4 weeks before a general deer season opens (using the example of D3-5)...again, depending on the zone you plan to hunt just check the regs...
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#14 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:33 PM

i spoke to him more on it today and im still a bit confused lol. it has something to do with a zone. and for either sex which is what i want. i dont care about antlers but meat mainly. he did say it doesnt go to d14 which sucks. ???????????????????? can i use bow during rifle season. i was telling him about an area that was heavy with deer and he knew it already but didnt know about the deer. and we scouted it last year to find out i cant shoot rifle there lol

#15 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

Rude robert, an AO(archery only tag)can be used during any regular deer season exept the draw zones and I think the A zone, if I remember correctly(it's clearly stated in the regs). A-22 and A-31 are archery specific hunts and are either sex tags,check the regs for the areas these cover and the definition of either sex, because I can't remember if you can shoot a spike with an either sex tag. I researched this 6 years ago so I don't remember all of the info and some might have changed. I only get an A-22 tag now and only know about that info for sure. Thanks,hope it helps. Ron

#16 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

im getting a lot of info from this thx robert. im in san bernardino area so im tring to find out everything i can. thx

#17 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

okay what is the differance between anterless and either sex?? i have in the pass looked into this but i dont understand if the a certain zone offers either sex and another anterless why the differance. if i shoot a doe in anterless zone will i get fined?? how do i get like g13 tag, and when do i apply?? for one, why doesnt the anterless zones just can either sex. i feel jail time comming lol

#18 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:55 PM

You'll have to double check but I think either sex is any legal buck(forky or better),or any doe. Antlerless you could take any buck. Please check this with the regs because I'm stating this from memory Thanks, Ron

#19 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

so under anterless can u take a doe. my thing is meat, and at the first chance i get so, i dont care if its a buck or doe. i rather have doe, though this is what is the most confusing for me.

#20 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

Here is the definition of anterless deer:351. Forked-Horn Buck, Antlerless and Either-Sex Deer Defined.(a) Forked-Horn Buck Defined. For the purpose of these regulations a forked-horn buck is defined as a male deer having a branched antler on either side with the branch in the upper two-thirds of the antler. Eyeguards or other bony projections on the lower one-third of the antler shall not be considered as points or branches.(:roflmao3[1]: Antlerless Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, antlerless deer are defined as female deer, fawns of either sex other than spotted fawns, and male deer with an unbranched antler on one or both sides which is not more than three inches in length. Either-Sex Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, either-sex deer are defined as antlerless deer as described in Section 351 (:signs1242cn:, or legal bucks that have two or more points in the upper two-thirds of either antler. Spike bucks may not be taken. Here is the info on archery-only tags: Archery Hunting with Archery Only Tags. Deer may be taken only with archery equipment specified in Section 354, during the archery seasons and general seasons as follows: (1) Number of Archery Only Tags Permitted. A person may obtain an archery only tag using a one-deer tag application and a second archery only tag using a second deer tag application. (2) Zones in Which Archery Only Tags are Valid. An archery only tag is valid for hunt G-10, and during the archery season and general season in all zones except C-1 through C-4 and X-1 through X-12. (3) Areas: As described in subsections 360(a) and . (4) Seasons: The archery season and general seasons are provided in subsection 361(a) above and in subsections 360(a) and . (5) Bag and Possession Limit: All bag and possession limits per zone are the same as those described in subsections 360(a) and .(d) Hunting Area Limitations. Archers not in possession of an archery only tag may hunt only in the zone, zones, or areas for which they have a general tag or an area-specific archery tag. (Refer to subsection 361(2) for zones in which archery only tags are valid).(e) Crossbow Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection 354(j), crossbows may not be used during any archery season or during the general season when using an archery only tag.If you can get an antlerless or either sex tag and want meat you will be better off. Does typicaly eat better than bucks do; I think it has something to do with the hormones.

#21 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

Why is it putting a smiley in place of the letter b in my post?

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

It does that because it interprets the B ) to be :signs1242cn:.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#23 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:56 PM

thxs when i applied for my tags last year, i didnt see an option for either sex or anterless. i though in california it was buck only. which i thought sucked lol. then someone told me about g13, but was a draw or something. which i still not sure how to or where to get draw ticket. but anyways i wonder how hard it is to get the either sex tag or anterless?? because that is what id prefer. in idaho u can get either one where ive been hunting. but this year i probably will not afford the plastic to line my cardboard box ill probably be living in, much less to afford to go to idaho lol

#24 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:34 AM

Only certain areas are either sex and most of them are on a draw basis. I believe, but I am not certain, that there are a couple of either sex hunts around L.A. that you can buy over the counter; something like A22. In CA, counties determine whether or not there is an either sex hunt based on findings of the DFG and then from a public meeting. As far as I know DFG doesn't put out many either sex hunt requests since they usually die at the public meeting stage anyway. There was a bill introduced that put the decision back into the hands of the DFG, but our wonderful gov. vetoed it. Anyone that hunts regularly for deer in CA will tell you that we are way out of ratio for bucks to does. The DFG even admits that we are out of ratio, but until we can get the law repealed we are stuck with ever declining deer hunting in this state. Here is a link to a question asked of DFG about this issue: DFG Q&A

#25 neocone

neocone

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

Going for archery this year at least to catch the A opener... and yes it is because I will get first pick and without idiots shooting at me from long range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users