8 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

Well i have a flat top 16 inch with flash suppressor AR TLC 1x9 twist.I bought it because I was crazy about the pistol grip military look + its a 223 and i wanted too use it as a varmint gun too at least 100 yards.Then later i was planning on a 20 inch varmint upper.The problem is I cant sight the dam thing in I am using winchester 45 gr 3600 fps. I thought i had it on at 50 yards but today around 5:00 I shot at a jack rabbit 5 times I kept missing some rounds went over him and too the right.The whole time that dumb rabbit didn't move.I think he was about 70 yards out so i got my 22lr started shooting i could see the bullets impacting around him dog poop .I was ready too throw both guns in the trash. I don't know what too do with the AR not so impressed with it right now.I wounder if its because i have too open it too load and that is causing a problem. this what the gun looks like Posted Image

#2 Hylander

Hylander

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sports

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:00 PM

I was ready too throw both guns in the trash

I have plenty of room in my trash can :huh: Are to trying to sight the thing in while shooting at the Rabbit, or sighting it in at the range on bags.Sight it at 100yds, not 50yds.If you sight in at 50 it will be high at 100yd., so it sounds like the thing was shooting like it should.

I wounder if its because i have too open it too load and that is causing a problem

No it is not. That will have no affect on Accuracy or POI
Failure is not an OptionLincoln,Ca.

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

Is your scope getting jarred around while riding on your red toy? Maybe it WAS sighted in...

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:38 AM

What scope are you using? Maybe it's got a problem not you. :huh:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:17 PM

thanks for the response Its a cheap scope Tasco 3x9 its new.I am going too sight it in some more Saturday and see what happens........ :rolleyes:

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

Hey, my folks have a 4 wheeler just like that. I've used it many a time to cart out my deer with!Posted Image

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:40 PM

ShooterJohn beat me to it.... I will wager a really L A R G E cookie that it's the scope, and not the rifle or the ammo... The old saying that we should buy within our budgets while at the same time buying the best we can afford is very true. HOWEVER, I honestly believe that m a n y sportsman toss that out and splurg on the rifle and then try to offset costs by buying a cheap scope. This happens a LOT and is a BIG mistake. Heck, I lost count how many times I've done it. LOL One would be much better off to spend LESS on the rifle (say a cheap Savage/ LOL) and MORE on a QUALITY scope. MUCH better off and a whole lot less $$$ in the long run!Take another scope along just in case. Perhaps you could borrow another scope if you do not have one? Anyway, good luck...Frank p.s. Nice buck Heath

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:21 AM

HAY Smallblock is that really your deer or are you pulling my leg.Thats sure a nice buck I never came close to anything that big.I think the problem with my shooting is mostly me.I never cleaned it after breaking it in..........Yah i know what a bonehead.... Last night i ran a brush some hopps copper solvent and like 30 patches too get that barrel clean what a chore every time i ran a patch threw it came out with something on it............ B) Yes I do agree I shouldn't have used a 25 dollar scope on a 900 dollar rifle..........LMHO prime ex sample on what not too do...He he and i made me a gun sled too home built it works for now. Thanks for the help guys I do appreciate it.John.

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

That's my buck. Of course he didn't come from CA ... I got him in the Show Me State in 2003.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users