#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

Sorry guys...no pics..broke my Canon SD 400 today...but.....nailed 7 squiirels this afternoon at one of the horse ranches...got 5 at 30 yards...2 others at 55 yards..and I noticed that these were young squirrels...small and dumb...not like any squirrels I have been hunting...so it was like shooting ducks in a pond...The owner just could not believe the 55 yard shots...he came home and watched me drill those squirrels...I showed him the rifle and particularly the mil dot scope...tomorrow,I'm going to let him shoot it...we may have another airgunner soon...!!!

#2 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

Nice, sounds like you had a great day. What's going on with the cameras anyway? My small Olympus digital, that I carry in my pocket, just went belly up too. :blink:

#3 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

Rich, we're going to have to change membership name from Crazyhorse to Psycho Squirrel Killer, you're having too much fun. :blink: Great that you're turning you buddy on to airguns.

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

Nice, sounds like you had a great day. What's going on with the cameras anyway? My small Olympus digital, that I carry in my pocket, just went belly up too. :signs1180lq:

I think when I put it in my pants pocket,the lens tried to open...(I may have hit the on button)...anyway,the lens won't open all the way,and the shutter won't work...so I'll be lugging around my Nikon D100 in my day pack now...but I'll miss the video feature of the Canon SD400.

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Rich, we're going to have to change membership name from Crazyhorse to Psycho Squirrel Killer, you're having too much fun. :signs1180lq: Great that you're turning you buddy on to airguns.

He just could not over the accuracy and knock down power and the range....I'm going to loan him one of my rifles tomorrow so he can do some shooting...Phycho Squirrel Killer...made possible by an 8 shot repeater....LOL....

#6 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

I think when I put it in my pants pocket,the lens tried to open...(I may have hit the on button)...anyway,the lens won't open all the way,and the shutter won't work...so I'll be lugging around my Nikon D100 in my day pack now...but I'll miss the video feature of the Canon SD400.

I've accidentally dropped my Canon SD500 twice now onto a hard surface from chest high and each time it jacked up the camera. You wouldn't know it from looking at it as each time there was only the tiniest scratch. Each time the lens and shutter wouldn't open completely and it kept showing a dead battery on the screen. The first time I shipped it back to Canon and they fixed it for about $120.00.

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

Took my Nikon D100 today...a bit bulky but pics are pics....If you look close,you can see a squirrel on top of the rock (right side)...but I have to wait for them to get on the ground in front before taking a shot...diatance lasered is 56 yards...Posted ImageThis guy was out at about 38 yards...only issue was he was laying flat on the rock...so I waited,and finally he raised up and I shot hitting him in the shoulder...he let out a squeal which I rarely hear...anyway,found him laying behind the rock....Posted ImageAnother from 40 yards...Posted ImageBTW: Tried some RWS Super Hollow points on squirrels today...they are ok out to 25 yards or so...but...out at 50 yards,they veer to the right...at first I thought maybe I jerked the trigger...but tried a couple more shots and each one went right...so loaded some JSB Domes without changing anything,and I was right back on my POA...I'm thinking that with a right hand twist barrel,out beyond 30 yards,these Hollow Points are unstable....

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

I've accidentally dropped my Canon SD500 twice now onto a hard surface from chest high and each time it jacked up the camera. You wouldn't know it from looking at it as each time there was only the tiniest scratch. Each time the lens and shutter wouldn't open completely and it kept showing a dead battery on the screen. The first time I shipped it back to Canon and they fixed it for about $120.00.

I bought a Canon Power Shot A1000 IS today..bit of an upgrade from my Canon SD400 I broke...and half the cost...4X zoom vice 3X...10.0 mega pixels vice 5.0..Optical Image stabilizer...whatever that is...First pic..This wabbit ran in front of a shot I took on a squirrel....oops...Posted Image

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

I missed this post first time around sorry to hear about your camera. I've damaged a couple myself. One I was just snapping a picture of my buddies 30+ pound lake trout when the fish went wild and slapped my camera out of my hands and out of the boat. :smiley-funny-post-sign: That's a great hunting spot you have there Rich. It looks like you have a consistent supply of critters for targets. Or should I say it's a TARGET RICH ENVIRONMENT.Speaking of broken cameras:I have an older Nikon F5 film camera that got broken when to stay out of some bad weather I was standing under the lift gate of my old Expedition. Anyway I had a 600mmf4 on it and I set around to get some addition film. Well a gust of wind came out of no where and slammed the door down on the camera knocking the camera and tripod to the ground on its back with the full weight of the 600mm driving into the camera body. It was to say the least totaled. I got a new camera but used the old one to play the BEST joke ever on a news photographer friend of mine. We often joked between ourselves while waiting at different news events. Sometimes not making our news subject very happy with us. I had been carrying the broken body around in my vest just waiting for an opportunity to play this joke. I asked a newspaper buddy if I could see one of his F5's for a second to show him a trick I had learned. He handed it to me and I careful turned removing his lens and grabbing my broken camera at the same time. Then I turned back just in time to drop my broken camera body from chest high to the cement. When it hit the ground you should seen the look on my friends face. You would have thought I killed his best friend. Before he could grab the camera I made sure to quickly make a lunge for it accidentally kicking it several feet away into a concrete curb. I thought he was going to cry he had such a sorrowful look on his face. I told him, "Man I'm really sorry about your camera I hope it was insured?" He quickly picked up the camera and looked at the irreparable damage to the camera body. He just kept turning it and muttering to himself. Then I couldn't help but laugh as I pulled his camera out of my vest pocket and carefully handed it to him. It had to be one of the very best jokes I've played on someone. I thought he was going to hit me but he really laughed about it after the fact and couldn't wait to pull the same joke on another of his friends.

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:08 AM

I had a little Lowepro case for it,but got lazy and started putting it in my pants pocket...big mistake...I've had bad luck with digitals...first one was lost...broke second one...we'll see how long this one lasts...LOL...I occasionally lug around a Mamiya RB67..once stopped for some pics, and left my expensive Gossen Luna-Pro F light meter on the hood...drove off and later realized I left it...drove back and a car had hit it...but not real bad...put it back together with rubber bands..lol...sent it off for repairs,and they replaced it for free...really lucked out on that one..Both ranches are good for squirrels,cottontails..but can't take the cottontails now....one is loaded with crows...and I have a story there in another post...plus video..Going out for Jacks today on some BLM land with another CPC member this morning...

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

We'll be waiting to hear how you guys do. I still have a Gossen Luna Pro I've owned since my photojournalism class days. Great light meter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users