25 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:28 PM

I just got off the phone with Tim at Mac1. I ordered one of the new Marauders in .22. If it shoots at all like my Discoveries do, the ground squirrels and prairie dogs are going to hate this thing. :blink: :o At this point it sounds like May/June delivery. B)

#2 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:35 PM

Congrats, on .... on the probability of getting a new airgun with a Tim Tune. :blink:

#3 evileyes

evileyes

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

Nice. I think that will be my next buy. What are they running, like $500-$550?

#4 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

Congrats, on .... on the probability of getting a new airgun with a Tim Tune. :blink:

I thought I should go ahead and get on the list since I didn't do that when the Discos were announced and it took me a couple months to finally get one in .177 and another 6 weeks to get one in .22. I hope to have it in time to use in the prairie dog towns in July. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

Nice. I think that will be my next buy. What are they running, like $500-$550?

I didn't ask, but It will probably be in the $500 or a bit less range. I think retail has been announced as being $499.

#6 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:13 PM

StraightShooters expect delivery in June...might be a photo finish Cliff...their price without tune is $499.00...

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

StraightShooters expect delivery in June...might be a photo finish Cliff...their price without tune is $499.00...

Yeah, June/July would be fine. The prairie dogs are going strong on into September. It's worth it to me to pay him a bit more just to have him look the gun over, probably put in a few better quality "O" rings, and especially, cut a true and proper crown on the barrel. The other value that he adds, that is very important to me is, he supports what he sells. If you should have a problem, Tim takes care of it in his shop. No shipping the gun back to Crosman.After about a month, my .22 Disco would intermittently dump all of the air from the air cylinder when you opened the bleed valve after filling the gun. I talked to Tim and he said the check valve was sticking open, and to get it back to him ASAP. He turned the gun around the same day he received it. Now that's customer service.From what I gather, the trigger design is going to be a step up from the Disco trigger. Which by the way, I have no complaints with, but then I've never been much of a trigger snob anyway. Give me something in the neighborhood of four pounds or less and I'll make it work. That probably comes from all of the years of shooting Garands, Springfields, and Government model .45s. None of which had 8 ounce triggers.

#8 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:33 PM

I'm going to have to wait a bit on getting a Maruader from Tim as I'm presently stockpiling funds to get a .22cal RX-2 from him later this month. Attached File  brx2.jpg   43.91KB   23 downloadsMaybe when my tax refund comes .....errrr .....I mean my IOU, I can get in line to get a .22cal Tim Tuned Maruader.Attached File  BenjaminMarauder.jpg   15.85KB   17 downloads

#9 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

The gasram guns are nice. I had a Theoben Crusader in .20 cal. that was very nice. I let it go when I had the chance to buy my RWS Rapier. RX-2's are nice rifles. :blink:

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:21 PM

Yeah, June/July would be fine. The prairie dogs are going strong on into September. It's worth it to me to pay him a bit more just to have him look the gun over, probably put in a few better quality "O" rings, and especially, cut a true and proper crown on the barrel. The other value that he adds, that is very important to me is, he supports what he sells. If you should have a problem, Tim takes care of it in his shop. No shipping the gun back to Crosman.After about a month, my .22 Disco would intermittently dump all of the air from the air cylinder when you opened the bleed valve after filling the gun. I talked to Tim and he said the check valve was sticking open, and to get it back to him ASAP. He turned the gun around the same day he received it. Now that's customer service.From what I gather, the trigger design is going to be a step up from the Disco trigger. Which by the way, I have no complaints with, but then I've never been much of a trigger snob anyway. Give me something in the neighborhood of four pounds or less and I'll make it work. That probably comes from all of the years of shooting Garands, Springfields, and Government model .45s. None of which had 8 ounce triggers.

I've been very happy with the tuned Disco .22 I bought from TIM...it has operated flawlessly for months...and I have not touched the adjuster....best buy i have made next to my Umarex 850 .177...deadly combo between those two rifles...!!!

#11 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

Cliff,A couple of questions for you since you have been at this longer than I. 1. Do you have a favorite caliber for airgun hunting, and if you don't, do you favor certain calibers for certian ranges?2. Do you have a favorite springer/gas ram air rifle for hunting, or do you favor a certain springer/gas ram based on caliber, range, quarry? I'm looking forward to your input,Mc

#12 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

In the PCP world I really like .22 caliber guns. They carry energy down range really well and punch a nice sized hole in the quarry when they get there. I have a .177 cal Discovery, and a .20 cal Logun MK II PCP in .20 cal. They're both okay, but if I could only have one PCP it would be a .22 putting out 28/32 footpounds at the muzzle. Primarily because I do a lot of shooting at the longer ranges (60 to 100 yards) and the .22 just works better at those ranges for me. YMMV. :signs1180lq: My favorite springer is a Beeman R9 in .20 cal. followed closely by the Beeman HW 97 also in .20 cal. Those are both medium power guns putting out 12/13 fpe at the muzzle. For me they are 60/65 yard guns. They will take squirrels and small game at distances farther than that, but that's the range I'm generally comfortable with my ability to put a pellet where I want it. Beyond 60/65 yards, in my book, is PCP country. Again YMMV.I primarily hunt ground squirrels, tree squirrels, prairie dogs, cottontails, and occasionally jackrabbits. Jackrabbits I always hunt with one of my PCP's. The others I will use springers or PCP's. If I'm hunting ground squirrels, and I know I'll be in an area where most of the shooting is going to be from 50 to 75 yards, I'll hunt with a PCP. These guns and calibers have worked very well for me for many years, but that doesn't mean it's the only way to go. They have proven very effective over the years and I tend to stay with what works well for me in the field.Hope this helps.

#13 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:28 PM

Cliff,As always thanks for sharing your opinion and knowledge. Mc

#14 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:54 AM

You are welcome. By the way, the opinion part is worth exactly what you paid for it. :signs1180lq: :signs1242cn:

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:12 AM

And here I thought we were getting a special deal. :signs1242cn: :signs1180lq:

#16 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:18 AM

YMMV??

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:36 AM

YMMV = "Your Mileage May Vary"

#18 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

Thanks. Not into this text message stuff.

#19 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:28 AM

And here I thought we were getting a special deal. ;) :signs1242cn:

You did. I shut-up after only five minutes. :signs1180lq:

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

Ha Ha. :signs1180lq:

#21 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

You guys are killing me!!I take a short break to work on my dog, dig my house out of the snow, and research and buy a new zero turn mower...and you two start talking about a new Benjamin air rifle. I showed my wife the stock photo and of course she said "didn't you just buy one of those?"Anyway...now i'll have to come and read everyday to see the latest news about it.If the un modded price is $499.00...........any idea what Tim's price will be and will it operate at 2000 psi or does it have to run at 3000?Now I'll be up half the night reading and scheming a way to buy one!BTW...hope everyone has been doing good.Ron

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

Hi Ron, I wondered what happened to you. I'm pretty sure the Marauder runs on 2000 psi air. It's shrouded to so it should be pretty quiet. Playing in the snow huh? :signs1180lq:

#23 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

Hi Ron, I wondered what happened to you. I'm pretty sure the Marauder runs on 2000 psi air. It's shrouded to so it should be pretty quiet. Playing in the snow huh? :014:

Hi John,I have been pretty busy.. my mountain cur pup has been giving me fits. None of the training that worked so well with my Shepherd was working at all. He is a little knucklehead!! I finally sent him off to school and got him back this week..and is a much better behaved dog. Snow did get pretty deep around here a couple weeks ago. I did dig out enough and have been shooting again some. Some friends have gotten the bug and are having weekly shoots on Tuesdays. (they all either works nights or do the long weekend shifts...I haven't got to play yet. I'm hoping to get out there and try to take some of their money. I guess they are shooting at a one inch dot at 30 yds and closest to center wins...sounds like fun.I am however getting spring fever bad...and I have to find a new air source now that the scuba shop moved about an hour south of me.I guess I'll wait to read Cliff's review before I put my kidney on Craigslist to buy another gun. :signs1180lq:

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

Ron, it sounds like you have your hands full with the pup and work. That target shoot seems like easy money. I'd be all over that, but let them win once in awhile. You have to sandbag them for awhile before cleaning them out. :doh[1]: My air is still very cheap and only a couple of miles away plus they fill to 4500 psi. But I'm in the market for a compressor as I go through the air pretty quick punching holes in paper, while I'm stuck here at home nursing a bad leg. I think I'll wait and let Cliff handle the new airgun review of the Marauder. But if it turns out to be half the gun I think it is I'll get one too. I mean they are just too much fun.

#25 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

You guys are killing me!!I take a short break to work on my dog, dig my house out of the snow, and research and buy a new zero turn mower...and you two start talking about a new Benjamin air rifle. I showed my wife the stock photo and of course she said "didn't you just buy one of those?"Anyway...now i'll have to come and read everyday to see the latest news about it.If the un modded price is $499.00...........any idea what Tim's price will be and will it operate at 2000 psi or does it have to run at 3000?Now I'll be up half the night reading and scheming a way to buy one!BTW...hope everyone has been doing good.Ron

Here's what I'm hearing so far.Upgraded choked barrelFully shroudedFully adjustable trigger group10 round magazineCan be run on a 2000 or 3000 psi fill (don't know any details about how this works)Full size hardwood stock with butt pad.No open sightsWeight about 7 to 7.5 poundsSounds like the makings of another fun PCP from Crosman.

#26 carspidey

carspidey

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:just got interested in air rifle shooting (rifles were always an interest to me though)...

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

check this website to learn more about the marauder...http://www.marauderairrifle.com/The founder of the website put it together as a repository for information on this rifle only...He did the same for the discovery...Hello SS, hope you remember me... I am the one with the questions on the Gamo Big Cat...After a lot of reading I decided to buy a powder burner (very intersting stuff) but the cost of using the rifle (bullets) kinda told me that for now airguns will be best...Specially now that the marauder is coming out...So, we'll see...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users