17 replies to this topic

#1 moua1983

moua1983

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

hi does anyone own the new ruger super single six 22lr or the 17hmr? if you have can you tell me if its accurate? would you perfer that over the semi-autos? thinking about getting one for hunting squirrels and rabbits? thanks for the info!!!

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

I have an older Single-Six in 22mag. No complaints about accuracy. I've heard good things about the newer models.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:13 AM

I have a real old Single-Six with .22LR and .22Mag cylinders too. Never had a problem with it and it's as accurate as the person holding it is. The only pistol I have in .17HMR is a Contender. Single shot but very accurate. If I was getting a new one I'd get the Single-six with both the 22LR and .22mag all over again. The .17HMR isn't very meat friendly and we're still waiting to see what non lead ammo will come out for it. They already have non lead in both the .22 magnum and long rifle.

#4 moua1983

moua1983

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:09 PM

thanks for the reply back guys!! Should i get the new ruger single six or the mark 3? i'll pretty much use it for plinking and hunting when i go deer hunting. shoot small game like rabbits and tree squirrels. which one would you get? this will be my last .22 pistol so i want one that i'll won't regret it later! help me out. thanks

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

First off, they are not that expensive, so you should ultimately have one of each. And to say one over the other is super hard. Both are great and each has it's own good poiints.

#6 ab diver

ab diver

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

I have a single six i bought the day after reagan got shot and it's a great gun

#7 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:49 AM

I've got a really old one that my dad gave me, I've only shot it once or twice, but he used to hunt grays in the trees with it when he was a kid, so I guess it's accurate enough for that.

#8 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:55 AM

My brother has a single six. He has had it for about 15 years. Deadly accurrate. I've seen him shoot ground squirrels on the run. Has both the 22LR and the 22 Mag cylinders but he hardly ever uses the mag. I think the single six is one of the best 22 revolvers on the market.

#9 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

well my single six is even older can't shoot the mags but have killed many Jacks and cotton tails with it like said above it as good as the shooter

#10 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

I have my Grandfather's single six .22LR and .22WMR. Both extremely accurate and perfect for small game and target shooting. Love those guns!Darren

#11 NVScouter

NVScouter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

My single Six has taken lots of game and plenty of ground squirrels when I'm bored of the rifles.If you seriously want to hunt with a 22LR I'd say go semi auto like the MKI-MKIII heavy barrel, Buckmark, etc. The fast follow up shots are great on running bunnies!

#12 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:31 PM

I have a stainless convertible SS, and love it. I read the Semis are more accurate. Maybe someday...

#13 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:27 PM

My single Six has taken lots of game and plenty of ground squirrels when I'm bored of the rifles.If you seriously want to hunt with a 22LR I'd say go semi auto like the MKI-MKIII heavy barrel, Buckmark, etc. The fast follow up shots are great on running bunnies!

Dead on! I've owned both the Single Six and the MKIII 22/45 (gave away the Single Six to my best friend and hunting partner for graduating law school and passing the BAR on the 1st try) and as much as I love sixguns, unless you intend to use 22 mags a lot, get the MKIII. A bull barreled MKIII will usually shoots circles around a Single Six and they are about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

.....If you seriously want to hunt with a 22LR I'd say go semi auto like the MKI-MKIII heavy barrel, Buckmark, etc. The fast follow up shots are great on running bunnies!

+2. I love my Buckmark for rabbit hunting. It's really accurate and the quick followup shots do come in handy once in a while, especially when the first shot doesn't do the job and you have to deal with a runner.

#15 Hipshot Percussion

Hipshot Percussion

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Bird Hunting- pheasant, Quail
    Bird dog training (two Brittany's)

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:52 PM

Had a single six since Nixon was President and love it. Have never even up-graded it just carry 5 and leave the empty chamber for my safety. Killed more stuff with it than any gun I own it's accurate and fun to shoot.

#16 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Trucks,Firearms,Computers,Doberman Pinchers

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

I've had the Single Six since 74. Love it.Wish I had bought two.

#17 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

Are the MKs really more accurate?

#18 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:54 AM

Depends on the shooter !

0 user(s) are reading this topic