6 replies to this topic

#1 Hutch

Hutch

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

Hey guys/gals, my, niece got a new 10/22 for christmas, and wants to mount a scope on it. It came with a base that kinda looks like a picatinny rail. Can she use any brand rings? Looks like weaver style might work, she asked our local gun shop,but she told me that they weren't very helpfull ( probably because she's young and a girl ). Anyways, what would you people suggest? This is used as a plinking rifle.Thanks in advance

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

It takes a smaller base than the standard Weaver rings. The rings are made for the 22.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:36 PM

The older rifles came with a standard 3/8" dovetail that takes 3/8" rimfire rings. For the last couple of years Ruger has been using the Weaver/Piccatinny style bases, with a slot from side to side. If hers is "new" rifle(not new to her) then it should take any of the Weaver style rings.

#4 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:01 AM

If she has the OLDER type base, you can an upgraded Weaver version from Power Custom http://www.powercust...parts_10-22.htmBefore Ruger saw the light, these are the bases we used. The old style ones are junk.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#5 Hutch

Hutch

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

Thanks gents, this is basically what I thought, however always better to check with the pros. I'll take the my niece and the base to the shop with me so we can set her up.Hutch

#6 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

hey hutch if they are just tip offs , I might have a set she can have . I will check for them . they might be missing a screw ???? Andy

#7 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

I have 3 10-22s one with a 6x20 that is heavily modified and 2 with truglo red dots on them. the red dots are alot more fun and are only 50 or 60 bucks including the mounts. My kids will take the red dots over the scope 10 times out of 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users