#1 deadyotegoodcoat

deadyotegoodcoat

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:coyotes

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

ok i have posted somethin similiar to this before but now i have narrowed it down to 2 scopes i just need you guys to vote which one. its goin on a howa .22-250 please let me kno what u think1. http://www.opticspla...es-714164i.html2. http://www.opticspla...bnr-716185.html
I might carry a .223 everyday but if i could id carry my .22-250

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:37 PM

If it were me, I would not get the 6-18. That is just much on the lower end for decent field of view.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

I put a nikon 2.5 x10 monarch on my 22-250 and it is an awsome scope. It is a bit more cash than the banner but you usually get what you pay for and you wont miss the extra money in 2 months. :signs1180lq:

#4 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:55 AM

Not to add more thought, but I have several banners and just in the last month bought 2 Mueller scopes. I will not buy another banner. The muellers are not recommended for magnum rifle. Check out this site.http://www.mizzoumul...s.com/id12.html Lots of great reviews and write up over on Rimfirecentral on these scopes Dennis who runs it is great. Good Luck Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#5 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:14 PM

Save your money for a better scope! It's better to put an expensive scope on a cheap rifle than put a cheap scope on a expensive rifle! Save up for an upper end Bushnell (6500 Elite comes to mind), Nikon, Leopold, Nightforce or Pentax. With optics, you get what you pay for. Purchase a scope with the power that suits your area of hunting, meaning don't buy a scope with a power of 6-20 if you are hunting in areas you will seldom get a 150yd shot. Go with something along the lines of 3-9 or 3.5-12. I've seen guys try to hunt with a fixed power of 20 in the desert. Then they wonder why they can't see where the coyote moved to when it moved out of their field of view (F.O.V.). The more power, the less field of view at a certain distance. Good Luck with the scope purchase!!!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#6 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:11 PM

The Nikon Buckmasters are great for the money, if you shop around you can get them for a good price too. Also, listen to what fawakee says, hes got a great point. I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 and rarely ever find myself in 14x, I prolly could have gone with the 3-9x and been fine.And, BTW, if your going to get a scope with magnification over 12 you prolly want something that has a parallax adjustment.

#7 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

Not to add more thought, but I have several banners and just in the last month bought 2 Mueller scopes. I will not buy another banner. The muellers are not recommended for magnum rifle. Check out this site.http://www.mizzoumul...s.com/id12.html Lots of great reviews and write up over on Rimfirecentral on these scopes Dennis who runs it is great. Good Luck Robert

I haven't owned any Banners, what glass would you say the Mueller's compare to? I have a couple Bushnell 3200's and they are really nice.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#8 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

Chris, isn't the Bushnell 3200 the same as the B&L 3000 Elite? Seems like Bushnell bought them out, but, not sure. Had a B&L 3-9X40 on a mod 70 '06. Nice scope. Ed

#9 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

Save your money for a better scope! It's better to put an expensive scope on a cheap rifle than put a cheap scope on a expensive rifle! Save up for an upper end Bushnell (6500 Elite comes to mind), Nikon, Leopold, Nightforce or Pentax. With optics, you get what you pay for. Purchase a scope with the power that suits your area of hunting, meaning don't buy a scope with a power of 6-20 if you are hunting in areas you will seldom get a 150yd shot. Go with something along the lines of 3-9 or 3.5-12. I've seen guys try to hunt with a fixed power of 20 in the desert. Then they wonder why they can't see where the coyote moved to when it moved out of their field of view (F.O.V.). The more power, the less field of view at a certain distance. Good Luck with the scope purchase!!!

Exactly!!. the weak link on a hunting rifle is the scope. If you get a leupold ,nikon etc.. you never need to worry about it getting off. those cheap scopes will change just transporting in a p.u.. If your hunting coyotes 10 power is plenty. @ 300 yards they look as big as a house. and dam hard to hit with all the variables at that distance. 3x 9 x 40 is real good..JMHO

#10 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

+1 Good advice.

#11 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, I don't mean to continue raining on your parade, however...Putting a cheap scope on a good rifle is only down grading / cheapening the entire rig. And is what you're trying to do... unless that is all your budget allows of course. However? It is better to have a higher cost scope on a cheaper rifle than visa versa.Nikon & Leupold are two popular/good ones. Another is the Zeiss Conquest, Zeplex. A 3x9 or there abouts is almost perfect for predator hunting, for the reasons already stated above. Field of view & eye relief are excellent, better than most other various magnifications. Good Luck in your decisionFrank

#12 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

I haven't owned any Banners, what glass would you say the Mueller's compare to? I have a couple Bushnell 3200's and they are really nice.

Sorry I missed this I am not sure. But I know they are way clearer than the Banner Dusk to Dawn. Go over to Rimfire Central a lot of people have great things to say about them. If you ever get up to Sacramento area you are welcome to join me at the range to take a peek through them Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#13 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

I've got a bunch of scopes and one of the most impressive that I have seen for the money is the Burris Fullfield II with the varminter reticle. I put a 4x12 on one of my ARs and it impressed the dog poop out of me. Optically as good as my Leupies and dead reliable adjustments.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#14 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Chris, isn't the Bushnell 3200 the same as the B&L 3000 Elite? Seems like Bushnell bought them out, but, not sure. Had a B&L 3-9X40 on a mod 70 '06. Nice scope. Ed

I don't know. :)I do know that Bushnell made some special edition Browning scopes to the same specs as the Elite 3200's. For some reason they didn't catch on (the name??) so they liquidated them. I bought one for my AR AND LOVED IT!! So much so, I bought another one and it sits on my Tikka .243.I wish I would have bought like 3-4 more. :)Fishwrestler, I ended up picking up a slightly used Mueller APV, it should be here in a couple days. It will go on my Savage 22mag, so I think it will be fine. I think it will suit the 22mag much more than the Simmons WTC18 I was goin to put on it.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users