#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

Got a call from friend who asked if i could take out some squirrels...he heard about the job I did at another horse ranch...This was tricky,as there was a rock out cropping where most of the squirrels were...I had to shoot from under a pepper tree,thru his horse corral and wait for the squirrels to get on the ground off top of rocks so as not to hit his neighbors cars....I got three squirrels off the rocks...and another two on a dirt bank...Posted ImagePosted ImageThis is from my shooting position under the pepper tree...56 yards to base of rocks....it took 3 hours to get three squirrels there...each time I shot one,the others bolted back into their burros...but one by one they came back out and soon as they got on the ground,I'd let the pellet fly...I used both my 850 .177 and the Disco .22...Posted Image

#2 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

Boy, if there was ever a situation that called for the use of a nice accurate airgun, that was it. Nice shooting, and thanks for the pictures.

#3 SOcal

SOcal

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

Very nice shoting, are those trajectory tables tabed on the side?

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

Yes. First I used some online calculators based on pellet/power of the rifle...then I went out and field tested the results at various ranges on paper targets...once satisfied, I then applied that data hunting,hence the dope I tape to the rifles...Right now,I only record ranges out to 70 yards......the thing I must work on now is wind....and this takes some time...

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:44 PM

Boy, if there was ever a situation that called for the use of a nice accurate airgun, that was it. Nice shooting, and thanks for the pictures.

Hi Cliff...the main thing was patience....waiting for the squirrels to get in a position safe to shoot.....but you are right...accuracy is the main component rather than power.....the rifles I used today shoot 810 and 905 FPS...but are very accurate and consistant..

#6 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

Nice shooting Rich. From your pic's it look like you pretty much had to thread the needle to get some of those shots. :signs1180lq:

#7 Wingman115

Wingman115

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking,Backpacking,Air Gun Shooting,Woodworking<br />

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:24 PM

Rich you scored big time today! Nice shooting did you use the tree to brace the shot or the shooting sticks?

#8 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:04 AM

Real nice work that is some tight shooting. laying prone under the trailer is about my speed

#9 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

Rich you scored big time today! Nice shooting did you use the tree to brace the shot or the shooting sticks?

Yep...neat set up...just rested the rifle on a thick limb....made shots easy....

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

Nice shooting Rich. From your pic's it look like you pretty much had to thread the needle to get some of those shots. :smiley_kewlpics:

I just had to trim some very small runners from the tree to give myself a clean shot...then keep one eye on the horse in the corral...

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

Went back this morning....can't shoot cottontails anymore...out of season now...but squeezed this one in....plus got this squirrel at 38 yards and another at 60 yards..Posted ImagePosted ImageI'm working two horse ranches now...about 3 miles apart...do one in the morning...and the other in the afternoon...had to order more pellets today...switching to AA's as JSB's on backorder till Feb 5th...Just a comment about my Leapers 6x32 AO Mil Dot Bug Buster Scope on my 850....it is great out to 45 yards...but some shots I made recently out around 60 yards were difficult to hit where I wanted on the squirrels...thinking of getting another CenterPoint 4x16x40AO Mil Dot (like on my Disco)as I need more power for bigger image..I may try my CP 3x9x32 Mil Dot off my rimfire first...that may work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users