• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

Some time back Shoot-it contacted me about making him a call from a steer horn he had. He really wanted me to try and make it into a double reed call if I could. It was a fresh horn, and I told him I didn't deal with fresh horns, as I didn't want to do the boiling and cleaning necessary to get to a horn that I could work with. Well, he boiled it out and cleaned it up and sent it to me. At the time he also sent a full size horn (which is now a howler and will go up for sale in a day or so) and some Apple wood. You have already seen the call I made for him from the Apple wood. Well, I finished up the Little Blaster Double Reed today and sent him a picture. He asked me to share the call with all of you. It has an Ebony mouth piece, held in by a tenon and epoxy. The horn and wood were sanded together so they look like one. It is a really pretty little horn call, and man, is it loud. If you have heard the Double Reed calls that I make, you know they are loud. Well, this one is a lot louder. The sound just echos out of the bell of this horn. It is really going to be a nice addition to his lanyard. I have to add a lanyard to it yet. There is no lanyard grove, as the horn is too thin to allow the making of a grove. I asked, and he told me to go ahead, and so tomorrow I'll drill a small hole on one side and tie a lanyard into the bell end. It's going to be great.Here are some pictures of the Little Blaster Double Reed.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Lonehowl

Lonehowl

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:36 PM

Braz, thats cool. Great looking horn project.Mark

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

That looks very nice! I won one of your calls at the contest that ECVMatt held and it sounds great I can only imagine this one. I haven't taken anything with it yet but hope to change that soon. :smiley_kewlpics:

#4 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:38 PM

Great looking call cain't wait tell I sneek it from him :smiley_kewlpics:

#5 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

Very nice looking call as always :smiley_kewlpics:

#6 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:29 AM

Great call Braz.!!! I bet that sounds great with a double reed. Very nice braz.!!!

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:21 AM

Now shoot-it has a call to get his cows to come home. :roflmao3[1]: Sorry John I couldn't help it since you live on a dairy. :signs653wf:

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:45 PM

no It will work good to get them running opps one fell down broke it's leg oh well Iam low on hamburger LOL J/kI am going to do some calling Sunday and test them out .the double reed is very loud my wife yelled at me for blowing it in the garage :signs1242cn:

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

:good: Low on hamburger. ;) I hope you have good luck with it.

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

Just remember, rabbiddog and Red Dog called in a lion when using a double reed as did I, so keep an eye on your backside. :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users