#1 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

Just curious who else out there is going to bowhunt turkey's. I'll be giving it a shot this year, using a Muzzy MX-3 w/ a Grasshopper to stop pass-through's.

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

Nice! Good luck! I'm shotgunning again this year, but my two hunting pals will be bowhunting.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#3 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

I'll be doing both...after frustration kicks in I will turn to the scatter gun...nothing fancy with my bow PSE and broadheads
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#4 WALNUTFARMER

WALNUTFARMER

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

Im going to give it a try this year. I will be shooting the hundred grain guillotines.

#5 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

I've been thinking about trying the bow this year. I am trying to decide if I want a blind, no blind, or just a portable screen to set up behind.

#6 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

I am going to use my ground blind. You need something to conceal yourself when you draw. There are some decent ones available that aren't very expensive plus they aren't very heavy.

#7 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

Yeah, I know I need to stay concealed, but I am looking to cut down on weight when I am moving around. I have hunted out of ground blinds before and I really like the double bull blinds, but not the price they want for them. That is why I was thinking of using one of those portable blind screens and sst it up in cover that would help to keep me concealed and they are fairly light weight to carry around. I will probably go with a blind since it is a proven method, but I am not sure which one as of yet.

#8 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

Check out this thread. It's got pics of my blind that my wife picked up for me off of Sportsmans Guide. undefined

#9 SCTrojanHunter

SCTrojanHunter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Archery, guns, boating and just about anything else that involves the outdoors.<br /><br />FIGHT ON TROJANS!!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

Go Bow!! I have Turkeys in my wife's garden everyday. Bought her a pellet pistol to scare them away. They move about 10ft and then start eating again. I think I'm just going to take my Mathews to one of them. I don't think the neighbors will mind if I cull the flock.
FIGHT ON TROJANS!!!

#10 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

You can use a 22 cal pellet gun also.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

Actually it's .20cal or bigger so if you have a 5mm airgun you're good to go.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

:signs1180lq:

Attached Files

#13 winxp_man

winxp_man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

My two buddies will try bow I'm only doing shotgun this year. Hope it turns out good the last time I went was two springs ago in the forest hill area.Regards Aron.
Shoot to Kill not to wound !

#14 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

Ok...here's one for you that will really frustrate anyone. I am getting anxious for Spring Turkey hunting - well, this weekend I was invited over to my friend's house for dinner and toss a few back. If any of you know the San Jose area, then you'll know where this location is - and, I don't mind telling you because you can't hunt there! LOL...back to the story..so me and my buddy drive out on Quimby Road all the way to where it intersects Mt Hamilton Road. As we're coming down the backside Quimby to Mt Hamilton Road I look over to my right, and what I thought was an old ranch house and stables I see all these birds...they are just dotting the ground so many of them that I'm think "sheesh, someone must be raising birds"...well, as we stop at the T intersection (just like the woman's voice on my navigation system says) I noticed these are Turkeys and not just a small flock, but literally must have been 50-75 wild turkeys all together in this field...near the barn, near the old ranch house, literally everywhere! It was what my buddy told me ('cause I was drooling looking at all the hens, jakes and Toms) - it was hunter's wet dream!...BUT they are all within the Grant Ranch State/County Park!!! - Now I know why there were so many!...not only that but the entire hillside as we were going along Mt Hamilton Road was torn up --hog action everywhere! Birds & Hogs, Oh my! I was like a little kid going "look, over there"..."now, over there!", "look down there", "look up there"...My buddy (who doesn't hunt) was laughing his butt off!!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#15 BowhunterGonzo

BowhunterGonzo

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Hunting is all new to me but it has over come fishing. with my bow i can do it all. but now that i got my air rifle, that i will only use for birds, (my arrows ruined to much meat.) i can now embark on a new found interest. HUNTING and the outdoors. besides that i just play videos games and hang out with friends. Spend time at the local watering holes.

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

OMG! I Can't Wait. i went out for hog today but the weather was way to Harsh. it started off as rain then turned to snow on us so no pigs to be found. however we did find some huge turkeys. i kept asking if they're legal! well now i have my turkey spots and even found a roosting tree. thats all we saw today was a ton of turkey and a mind blowing amount of deer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users