#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

Went to my friends horse ranch this morning...it was heavy overcast,but no rain or wind..ground squirrels were out all over the place...got six of them in four hours....had to keep shooing one horse out of the way to get a shot ( last pic)....the squirrels on the boulder were at 60 yards... got the one on the right...nailed another squirrel right outside his burrow at 35 yards....Also tried out the Stoney Point Bi-Pod today...it is very handy and shifting rifle right/left not a problem...works better than my sniper sticks...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

Sounds like a good day. I got to spend a couple hours just before dark chasing pidgeons around a dairy with my R9 .20. Got 5 and saw one squirrel but couldn't get close enough. That's beatifull country where you were.Thanks for the pics.

#3 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

looks like you did some fine shooting today.also that's a good looking bay in the last picture to.

#4 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:08 AM

Nice pic's and thats a good looking gun surprized it gets them out to 60 yrd's easily good shooting.

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:52 AM

Nice shooting, Crazyhorse, especially at 60 yards. That's a long shot. What pellets were you using? RA

#6 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

This 850 .177 was tuned by a friend in Texas for me...before the tune,max range on squirrels was about 35 yards....the tune bumped power from factory 760 fps to 810 fps....he installed heavier trigger spring,ported both the gun valve and paint ball tank adapter plus polished trigger parts,etc...60 yards is now my max for squirrels with this rifle...and even then I only take the shot if squirrel presents a broadside view and wind is calm..most of the time i'm getting them around 35-45 yards...I'm using JSB 8.4 gr domes...I have some JSB 10.2 gr,but have not tried them yet...Interesting is these CO2 guns are somewhat "temperature" sensitive...but been using mine from 55 f to 95 f with no issues...it was shooting 810 fps in 72 f on my chrony...so think it will shoot in the 830's or higher in 85-90 f...got to test it when we get get in 90's again...(temp was 62 F yesterday on this hunt)...The barrels on these 850's are very good quality...and solid steel/rifled....very accurate...My friend in Texas is developing an improved 850 HPA version...not sure if I'll go that route but his tests has it shooting these numbers: 950fps in (.177 cal) 7.9gr and 850fps in (.22 cal) 14.3gr He is trying to get the .22 HPA version up into the 900's...and preliminary tests are up there...

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:33 AM

Oh boy. Let the 2009 squirrel games begin. From now until the end of May has got to be the best time of the year if you like to hunt California Ground Squirrels. The hills are greening up. The squirrel, "come on I wanna' love ya" games are coming into full swing, and it's just a great time to be out of doors with your favorite airgun putting the sneak on the seriously distracted furballs. It's almost unfair. :good: Great shooting and what a fun way to spend a day. B)

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:43 PM

With the rain we got so far,and some more on the way tomorrow,not to mention FEB/March(our most rainfall,typically),hopefully this year will be better for all small game...Quail, Rabbits,Ground Squirrels,etc...our local wildfires have had a big impact not to mention the 9 year drought so far....So tune yer air rifles up,eat lots of carrots to sharpen up your eyesight,because 2009 should be a good year....lol..

#9 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

Rich,Nice shot with the 850. I bailed on my plans to try one more bunny hunt tomorrow before season closed. To wiped out from work. I guess I will have to live vicariously through you until I can get out again. :good: Mc

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

The 850 is awesome for a CO2 gun...MC, go for some Jack's...open all year...although tough hunting......!!!My issue now is what air rifle to take...the 850....Disco...or Beeman R9...so I've decided if it is squirrels,the 850....if cottontails...the Beeman R9.(So it will sit till next July)...and for anything else that"walks,crawls,or runs".....the Disco .22....LOL....Stay tuned in...

#11 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

Crazyhorse, My ProSport and R7 both love JSB Exact 8.4 gr. But my R9 Goldfinger .177 shoots FTS 8.9 gr and also JSB Heavy 10.2 gr better than the JSB Exacts. I'm really liking the JSB Heavies in particular through the R9. My R9 chrons JSB Heavies at 753 fps muzzle velocity, so they have lots of punch. Haven't done much long range shooting with them yet, though. But I hear they're very accurate. RA

#12 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:13 AM

Have not used my R9 .22 DG much lately...but longest shot was on a cottontail at 45 yards......only have shot a couple squirrels with it around 25 yards....I'm going to take it out later this week on squirrels and see what I can do....it is very accurate but the scope is not a mil dot,so I'll have to do some fudging with holdover beyond 45 yards...I've only used JSB Express Jumbo's and RWS Superdomes thru it...last time on chrony think the RWS Domes had tighter groups and FPS was around 720....not conclusive and need to put more trigger time on this rifle...It has been a "stepchild" to the 850 & Disco...LOL...

#13 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

Rich and RA, My train of thought on hunting with my air rifles is along the lines of how far can I take out any samll game with that particular gun. I fell comfortable taking game with my .22 disco out to 70 yards. I haven't shot with it any further than 50 yards at the range but I did take a bunny with it that I lazered at 65 yards and using a little Kuntucky windage. I would have to say that I am good to go with my .22cal Prosport and my .25cal Eliminator out to 50 yards and can get most any small game with either of those guns to that range. I understand alot of people like the Beeman R9 for hunting but I'm surprised that I don't hear more people talk about hunting with their AA TX200 or Prosports. My Prosport is an awesome hunter. It is ridiculously accurate. I am still yet to find a pellet that it dosen't group well with. The other advantage it has is that the barrel shroud makes it very quiet. Great for follow up shots or to take out that second critter that is a little to curious about what just happened to his buddy. If I had to say one negative about the Prosport is that I'm still trying to figure out some sort of sling system for it. It is a bit of a piece to lug around. I pretty much have settled on .22cal as my favorite overall hunting caliber for small game. More pellet selection, availablity, and I like the knock down effect it has compared to a .177cal. I like .25 cal for it's hitting power but there are so few guns available that can shoot it with a resonable velocity and keep the pellet trajectory from looking like an 80 yard football pass. Presently here is my list of air rifles and what I figure to be their max effective hunting range..25cal Theoben Eliminator = 50+yards.22cal Air Arms Prosport = 50+yards.22cal Walther Falcon Hunter = 25 yards.22cal Gamo 1250 converted and tuned Rich in Mich= 45+ yards (It might do better. I haven't had a chance to play with this one much yet).22cal Crosman Quest 800 = 30 yards.22cal Beeman SS1000H = 35 yards.22cal Benjamin Discovery Mac 1 tuned = 70 yards.177cal Gamo 1250 = 45 yards.177cal Gamo Whisper = 30 yardsI am toying with the idea of sending my .177 cal Gamo 1250 to Rich in Mich and have him convert it to .20 cal and do a tune on it. I'm also toying with the idea of getting the Air Venturi Gas springs for my Whisper and Falcon Hunter. Anyways now that Bunny season is closed I will have to take out my aggressions on Crows and ground squirrels until the Spring Turkey season opens.

#14 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

MC...I suggest you look at the "Buddy" sling on Pyramid Air's site..basically a shotgun sling and wooks great on a break barrel...another choice is Straight Shooters..they have a nice leather sling that works same way...Linky: Scroll down to slings...http://www.straights...otingitems.htmlOn my 850,I'm using the Buddy Sling ($12 bucks) because I did not want to drill holes...and it works with the bulk PB tank......but I carry the 850 muzzle down..so I just reversed the sling...Posted ImagePosted ImageSame deal on my Disco...this is a Crow sling...(Shotgun Sling)..only deal on this sling is the butt end is mickey mouse...not like others...I had to tie wrap the extra strap material at butt end....(squirrel is taking a nap)Posted Image

#15 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:10 PM

MackeralBoy, Nice collection of air rifles. I like .177 because of the higher speeds and flatter trajectory, although I respect what a .22 can do. Here are my thoughts about hunting with my ProSport. My ProSport .177 is a very accurate hunter. I've taken doves and cottontails with it out to 55 yards. The dove was taken at 53 yards with a tripod stand while sitting in a folding camp chair. The cottontail was taken offhand shooting off my knee. Both were with JSB Exact 8.4 gr. And I'm decent with it offhand out to about 35 yards with small prey. My PS is zeroed at 10 yards and it returns to zero again at around 50 yards. So it's nice out to that range. Beyond that, I can hit can-sized targets pretty well out to 65 yards but the fpe's are starting to drop and I wouldn't want to risk wounding but not killing animals out beyond 50. So I tend to keep it to 55 yards or less. But here's why I like hunting with my R9 Goldfinger .177 better, even though it lacks the refinement and fit and finish of the ProSport.You hit on the main issue: weight. My ProSport weighs about 11 lbs. scoped and is just too heavy to lug around for hours out in the field, even with a sling IMO. The R9 is about 2 lbs. lighter. Less weight means less fatigue so I'm accurate over a longer period of time. And the R9 still has plenty of heft for good balance and accuracy. Another issue is that, while I started out airgun hunting using a tripod rest and a folding chair or stool, I presently enjoy much more walking around the fields in search of game and shooting offhand, usually standing or dropping to one knee. I'm not very good at offhand shooting and it's challenging to try to improve my skills. Realistically, I'm accurate to about 35 yards shooting offhand standing, although I've nailed birds at longer distances. The R9 is just easier for me to use in this manner than the ProSport. And my R9 chrons JSB Heavy 10.2 gr at 753 fps muzzle velocity, which makes it similar in power to the .20 Beeman FTS 11 gr. (My R7 is a dream to shoot on these walk-about offhand hunts but it's a bit underpowered. Although the R7 with a JSB Predator at 25 yards delivers a really solid hit on an English sparrow, and it loves JSB Exact 8.4 gr.) Also, since the R9 is a break barrel, it's much easier to preload with a pellet (without cocking) than my ProSport. And, once I spot my quarry, I can load, cock and shoulder the R9 without taking my eyes off the target, even if I haven't preloaded a pellet. I'm not as good at quickly loading a pellet in the ProSport without looking away from the target. That said, I'm probably just in R9 mode at the moment and will no doubt return to hunting with my ProSport in due course. But for now, I sort of view my ProSport as my longer range stationary sniping rifle, using a tripod rest and a chair. Cheers,RAP.S. One thing I noticed about the R9 is that my front stock screws loosen up pretty quickly and I have to snug them down after every hunt. I need to use some blue Loctite on them. The ProSport screws don't loosen as frequently but you do have to check them because mine loosened eventually.

#16 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

Rich, Thanks for the info. I just ordered a couple from Straitshooters. :smiley_kewlpics: Be careful with your pet squirrel there, he might get a sunburn if he sleeps out in the sun like that to long. :cheers:

#17 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

RAVery good point on the Prosports weight. I could see where a few extra pounds could make a difference if you were humping around the hills all day. I haven't had to many problems yet with the pellet feed but that could be because of the way I have my scope mounted (out of the way). I too perfer to spot and stalk with my airguns. I just fashioned a gun rest that screws onto the end of an adjustable walking stick I have. I will have to take some pics and post them. I did some preliminary shooting in the back yard with it, and it seems to add a fair amount of stability. I noticed Rich is using one of those tall collapsable bipods for some of his longer shots. Anyways I think we got sidetracked from the original topic. :smiley_kewlpics: Mc

#18 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:31 AM

I have tried a few "steady" rests...sniper sticks,camera tripods,walking stick,etc...recenty just bought a Stoney Point bipod from Cabelas..(See pic first post).Cliff (Varmitair) highly recomended those...I use the camera tripod if I know I'll be sitting/shooting...like for turkeys....the walking stick is for heavy brush chasing Jacks for quick shots(kneeling) ...the clamp on rest is adjustable(height) and Harbor Freight has them (Lil Sure Shot)...I've used the sniper sticks alot...but now think the Stoney Point will be my go to rig over those as it is adjustable for sitting,kneeling and standing...and...you can pan rifle up down/side to side..that is a great feauture..Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:41 AM

That's helpful, CH. I haven't experimented with bipods yet, just tripods and monopods. I found the monopod gave me too much side to side wiggle while standing. I think a bipod might be a good way to go, particularly when sitting. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the pics of your slings. A few days ago, I bought a shotgun sling from Cabelas that I can use with my R9 without drilling any holes in the stock for swivels. It's still on the big brown truck and I'm looking forward to trying it out. MB, looking forward to seeing pics of your monopod rifle rest rig. Cheers,RA

#20 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:44 AM

:smiley_kewlpics:

#21 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

OK, so here is my shooting stick set up. The basic pole part is a collapsable Leki walking stick that has a screw off top and threads for attaching a camera. You can get them at any of the sporting good stores like REI, Sports Chalet, etc. The gun rest part is a "Little Sure Shot" clamp on shooting rest that I picked up at Harbor Tool and Freight. What I did was take off the clamp part of the gun rest and melt a nut into the bottom of it that fit the threads on the walking stick. I then applied some JB weld to the nut for good measure. Once the rest is screwed on it's a pretty solid set up. I like it better than just clamping the Little Sure Shot rest onto a stick. When it was clamped onto the stick, it seemed off center and that it wanted to make the stick turn around. By having it inline with the stick I don't have that problem. The only time it seems unstable is if you get the base of the stick leaning off to the stide. Being adjustable I can use it sitting down or standing up. I also like the fact that I am only lugging around one piece of gear that I can use as a Hiking stick, Camera mount, Binocular mount, and Shooting rest. In a pinch I guess I could also use it as a tent pole. Attached File  hunting_stick_044__2_.jpg   20.31KB   30 downloadsAttached File  hunting_stick_045__2_.jpg   14.34KB   29 downloadsAttached File  hunting_stick_046__2_.jpg   22.57KB   29 downloadsAttached File  hunting_stick_047__2_.jpg   20.79KB   27 downloadsAttached File  hunting_stick_048__2_.jpg   13.41KB   31 downloads

#22 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:43 AM

Pretty slick setup, MB. I like how you melted the nut into the rest. JB Weld was a good idea, too. I'm thinking about a Stoney Point bipod ...RA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users