#1 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

I have a quick question about anti-bark collars. I know there are basically two kinds. Shock and the citronella spray ones. Which one is more effective on average. Another point is the humaneness of shock collars. Any info would be appreciated.

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

I use one on one of my labs. The electronic kind. When I put it on him, he doesn't bark, so I know it works. It only takes a few barks for them to figure it out, so I'd say that's humane, unless you have a stubborn/stupid dog.The one thing that sucks is that with two dogs, sometimes my other one will bark for a good reason and if he's too close to my other dog that's wearing the collar, he'll get shocked and not understand why. It doesn't happen often (and is actually somewhat comical), but that is drawback if you have multiple dogs.I've got a friend who uses one on a beagle. She barks right through the thing. So, I think it depends on the dog, and the quality of the electronic bark limiter.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

You don't put this on the dog but I got one to try for my neighbors two labs. They will not shut up when they are gone. Rather than shoot the dogs (which has crossed my mind) I decided to try this route.https://www.debnroo...._P970.html?r=gpI've called the county and the neighbors just don't give a rats ass. In fact the real problem is the dogs are just something they got and don't really care for. They feed them and that's about it. I think they're afraid of him. But this little ultrasonic thing really works. When I first got it they ran over to bark at me and got a couple out before you could see it working. Once in a while they'll start to put out a bark and it turns right into a very low ruff. Best product I've ever bought. :signlol2iu: Now if I could just get one that worked on the neighbor!

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

My neighbors dogs need one of those cool little bird houses!

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

It really does work. I'm so pleased with it! :signlol2iu:

#6 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

SJ I'm going to buy a couple. I've got dogs barking on three sides. My dogs never barked until I moved here. Now they bark too. I got them both e-collars. It stops my dogs but not the neighbors. I wish they made one that you could point at a house and every time your neighbors dog barked the dog and the neighbors get zapped together.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:10 PM

Well, I'm very pleased with mine and they are weather proof too. They say 50 foot range but it seems to work farther. I love the look on the dogs faces when they want to bark. Or one does and the other looks at him like shut up stupid! :stupid: There are dogs that are deaf and I was afraid the neighbors were because they barked so much. But they weren't. The 9volt batteries last a few months and you'll know when they go dead. :signlol2iu:

#8 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

My sister uses the shock kind for when they bark and those things are a lifesaver. We watched her dogs for a couple months and without it I would have shot both of them.

#9 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

Thanks SJ we were looking for some thing like that. got a traing coller but when it gets wet it shorts out poor dog don't know whats happening

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:42 PM

You don't put this on the dog but I got one to try for my neighbors two labs. They will not shut up when they are gone. Rather than shoot the dogs (which has crossed my mind) I decided to try this route.https://www.debnroo...._P970.html?r=gp

I had my fill of my neighbors dog today. I was mowing the yard up against the fence separating our yards and they kept barking and jumping up at the fence. I just ordered one of these and will try to remember to post a picture once it is here and up. Thanks, John!

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

Mine is still working great. The neighbor was gone most of this weekend and normally his dogs would have barked the entire time. But they've just made a couple of barks and then shut up so I know it's working. Now I can look at them over the fence and they don't dare bark at me. I've even stood next to the unit and clapped my hands to make it go off just to show them I'm the boss now. :good: :good:

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

Yep,I have the same problem as you Heath. Got 4 dogs living next door. They bark all the time. Just ordered one myself.

#13 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:10 AM

I've even stood next to the unit and clapped my hands to make it go off just to show them I'm the boss now.

:good: Makes me almost wish I had a neighbor with barking dogs :good:

#14 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

You don't put this on the dog but I got one to try for my neighbors two labs. They will not shut up when they are gone. Rather than shoot the dogs (which has crossed my mind) I decided to try this route.https://www.debnroo...._P970.html?r=gpI've called the county and the neighbors just don't give a rats ass. In fact the real problem is the dogs are just something they got and don't really care for. They feed them and that's about it. I think they're afraid of him. But this little ultrasonic thing really works. When I first got it they ran over to bark at me and got a couple out before you could see it working. Once in a while they'll start to put out a bark and it turns right into a very low ruff. Best product I've ever bought. :censored[1]: Now if I could just get one that worked on the neighbor!

I know it's an old thread but hope it's worth bringing back up for somebody. I ordered a debnroo because of our 3 little yappers. Doorbell goes off the dogs go off, car drives by the dogs go off, helicopter or airplane goes over the dogs go off, neighbors dogs go off our dogs really go off...you get the idea.Put a battery in, turned it on and knocked on the wall. Two of the three dogs let out ONE bark and that was it. They ran underneath the corner table and looked around like omg what was that, not good not good.Thank you John. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

#15 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:28 PM

Now that is novel. Great idea. My new little puppy isn't barking yet, but I have the feeling she will. I'll have to use it to stop her if she does.

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,668 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

microtus, I'm glad it worked for you too. Since I've been cleaning out and working on my parents home I've noticed a neighbor that keeps a Chiwawa in a pen outside. The dog barks at everything like you mentioned. I took a new Outdoor Ultrasonic Bark Controller over and hung it in a tree facing the dogs pen. He barked once and then a couple of attempts and he has been like a church mouse since. They really work as long as you check the batteries.

#17 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:51 PM

Do they work on WIFES :rolleyes: :lol:

#18 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

I suppose you could try one of these in a pinch...http://www.defensede...n-portable.html

#19 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:42 PM

Only if they look like this:

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users