#1 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:22 AM

When tumbling cases we get media in the primer pocket holes. I seat the primer then tumble the cases. I havn't yet shined a flash light in the case to see if the hole is still clogged up.I wonder if it makes any difference? Figure the primer blows it into the hot exspanding gas and in reduced to sender.What say ye all ? :angry:

#2 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:03 AM

You have to pick up each individual brass to seat the primer either way. Hold the primer seating tool in one hand and grasp a bent paper clip in those fingers. Pick up a piece of brass with your free hand and use the bent paper clip to poke out the media before you place the brass onto the shellholder for seating the primer. Works for me.

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

Hold the brass up to a light and you can look through the flash hole to see if it is obstructed.

#4 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:59 AM

ditto

#5 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:08 PM

Men I know that, I just think seating the primer first then tumbling works for me.Wanted to find out what others do.If the media does get into the Flash hole I wonder if it really matters?Were dealing with extreme pressure and instant heat. Any how I've been rained out, so I'm trying to roll some bullets and watch TV at same time.This rain sucks.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:24 PM

This rain sucks.

Clear skies down here! No squirrels, though.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:22 PM

Not a good idea because most tumbling medias have a polishing compound of some kind in them. That material can damage or kill the primer causing it to malfunction or just not work. Also any fine polishing power that get into the primer is blown into the barrel where your next bullet uses it to lap your barrel. Not something I'd want to do. :(

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:08 PM

Well that is interesting I use Lymans "Corn Cob Green" its advertized as "Leaving no abrasive residue" A corn cob is basicly wood that would burn up plus only one of the Cob Kernels could fit into the flash hole. But yes your post certianly has merit....... What kind of press do you use John? Multi stage or single?I've had my press(RCBS Junior) since highschool (31 years) I think its time I bought a Rock chucker or something.

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:39 PM

Well that is interesting I use Lymans "Corn Cob Green" its advertized as "Leaving no abrasive residue" A corn cob is basicly wood that would burn up plus only one of the Cob Kernels could fit into the flash hole.

Having poured some corn cob out of a case that showed a spike in pressure compared to the others in that batch, I think it's best to continue with my method of making double sure that there is no media left in those cases. A little abrasive might damage your barrel. A little media left in the case might damage your face. That corn cob doesn't burn when it is in the case it just becomes very hard and black. :( A17Shooter

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:55 AM

What kind of press do you use John? Multi stage or single?I've had my press(RCBS Junior) since highschool (31 years) I think its time I bought a Rock chucker or something.

I have four RCBS Rock Chucker and two Dillon presses for my rifle and pistol reloading. It's hard to beat the Rock Chucker for general reloading. I'm still using the one I purchased from the RCBS factory in 1968. :)

Time waits for no one--

#11 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:30 PM

Whoa!!!! Sounds like you have a real munitions factory.I load cause I half to. Its tedious work that really pays off in the end.

#12 bwana

bwana

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:I like to hunt, shoot, reload, backpack, ski, and just about anything else you can do in the mountains. I also like sailing and other ocean sports.

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:15 PM

I've had my press(RCBS Junior) since highschool (31 years) I think its time I bought a Rock chucker or something.

Cheers for the RCBS Junior! That's what I use. I "inheirited" it from my buddy's dad when he passed away. It was probably 10+ years old when I got it and I've had it 17 years or so. I keep telling myself that I need to get a new/better press, but it keeps turning out loads that group small so I haven't gotten around to it yet.Cheers,Scott
Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and doesn't die. . .

#13 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:25 AM

That's what I say ,But sizeing case's some times is a work out. I bet its much easier with a bigger press.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:15 AM

That's what I say ,But sizeing case's some times is a work out. I bet its much easier with a bigger press.

A new press would probably help as would getting some Imperial Sizing Wax too. :huh:

Time waits for no one--

#15 bwana

bwana

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:I like to hunt, shoot, reload, backpack, ski, and just about anything else you can do in the mountains. I also like sailing and other ocean sports.

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:57 AM

A bigger press probably would make things a little easier, but I've been managing to size my bigger cases like my 7mm and my .30-06 without too much trouble. I use Imperial Sizing Wax and that helps out a lot too. I don't load hundreds of rounds for those calibers though, usually just 20 or so of each load that I use for the current hunting season.
Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and doesn't die. . .

#16 goguns

goguns

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:49 AM

When tumbling cases we get media in the primer pocket holes. I seat the primer then tumble the cases. I havn't yet shined a flash light in the case to see if the hole is still clogged up.I wonder if it makes any difference? Figure the primer blows it into the hot exspanding gas and in reduced to sender.What say ye all ? :rolleyes:

Iron Worker,I was doing a bunch of experimenting with all different types of media, you can buy very small corn mediasize 20/40 that will help eliminate clogged primer pockets,NEVERTHELESS-THE BEST WAY TO GET THAT DARN MEDIA OUT OF THE PRIMER POCKET IS-After you tumble your brass with whatever size media you useSeparate the brass from the mediaAnd put the brass back in the tumbler, (without the media)put the cover on,put your ear plugs in your earsand turn on the tumbler for 5 minutesIt is the easiest way to get any and all (at least 99.99% of the media out of the primer pocketAnd you do this primer pocket cleaning with your empty tumbler after you seat the primersyou will be surprised how much media comes out of those cases by using an empty tumblerif the noise is too much to do it in your shop - put the tumbler in your mother-in-law's room and close the door

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:33 AM

if the noise is too much to do it in your shop - put the tumbler in your mother-in-law's room and close the door

Gil, That's the best tip I've heard in a long time! :huh: :rolleyes: :huh: The putting the cases back in the tumbler without the media is a good one too. ;)The real reason he knows this stuff so well is because he sells tumbling media and supplies. Checkout his website at: http://www.championsbrand.comHe's a good guy too! :D

Time waits for no one--

#18 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:24 AM

What a great idea! This is why I love this forum, the ability to go back and read old posts and again learn something.

#19 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:11 PM

De Ja Vu, again. :(

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#20 LuckyShot

LuckyShot

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

I was getting media in the primer pockets so I to tried tumbling afer I primed them. What I found was about the same amount of cases had media stuck in the pockets. So I started tumbling them before I decapped them rather than after. Not the way to get the cleanest case in town but no problems.
Northern California shooter

#21 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:26 PM

I have a customer that shoots a gataling gun and a big 50 he uses a cement mixer as his brass polisher :roflmao3[1]:

#22 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

I do my major tumbling on used brass with Lyman treated walnut media. Then after sizing/decapping I tumble just a few minutes more with Lyman corn media to remove the lube. Try Lyman media, it's just the right size and doesn't get stuck in the primer pockets. I'm not sure it's a good idea to tumble with new primers, you may not want to expose the primers to the media and dust. ???

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:27 AM

you may not want to expose the primers to the media and dust. ???

You don't want to tumble with primers in ever.I tried using my cement mixer for tumbling some old really tarnished .223 brass that had set in a some buckets that filled with rain water. I used a few bags of fish tank gravel for tumbling media and it did a remarkable job at cleaning the tarnish off. I then ran them through a regular tumbler with corn cob and polishing media to shine up their very dull finish. But I wouldn't leave the mixer running unattended or you may not have any brass left. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#24 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

Cement mixer and aquarium gravel!!!! I bet that made a pretty sound! I use an old Rock Tumbler and walnut shell media. Works pretty good but you have to shake it out really good. I got a piece stuck in my remington 17 brass and busted my decapping pin. Arghhhh!Jason

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

Cement mixer and aquarium gravel!!!! I bet that made a pretty sound!

I just put it next to the neighbors house and it drowned out his sons radio so it wasn't too bad. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#26 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:27 AM

tumbling cases with primers in them would make me a nervous wreck, LOL. I tumble before I deprime. Then I size and deprime, then I tumble again, then I put them face down in the loading blocks and use a paperclip to knock out any with media in the flash hole. It's an extra step, but it gives me piece of mind....
Jeph S"Team .223/6x47"

#27 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:30 PM

After tumbling, I use an air compressor and nozzle and blow each case out.

#28 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

That's a pretty good idea!Jason

#29 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:11 AM

You don't want to tumble with primers in ever.

Unless it's loaded ammo. There's nothing wrong with tumbling loaded ammo a little to clean it up. The factories do it. Do it at your own risk of course. I've never heard of anybody having an issue.

#30 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:10 AM

I was speaking of tumbling with primers in but not loaded. ;) Though as you say do that at your own risk. Since I tumble my brass in plain corn bob again after the sizing process to remove any lube, I don't have the need to tumble any loaded rounds.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users