8 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

The things you don't learn by reading the "Game Regulations" cover to cover. I dropped by the Arizona Game and Fish Offices here in town today to buy a new hunting license and while there I picked up a copy of the 2009 "Hunting Regs". While reading through them tonite, I found out that cottontail rabbit hunting is open YEAR ROUND in most of Arizona. There is a very generous limit also. Ten a day with twenty in possession. Actually, a couple three will be plenty for me.Who knew? I'm used to about a six/seven month or so season in California. Airguns and cottontail rabbits are made for each other. I'm going to head out and do a bit of scouting tomorrow. There's an area about 35 miles south, and 4000 feet lower in elevation than where we are, that looks like it might be good rabbit country. It's kind of high desert type terrain, and It's supposed to be in the low 70's there tomorrow. Sounds like it could be a good time to do a little bunny sniping. Or at least check the area for sign. The .22 cal. Discovery is going to get a good walk around tomorrow. It's the perfect light hunter for humping over hill and dale. It shoots 5 of the the 16 grain JSB's into about three tenths of an inch at 30 yards in good conditions. It should be good on cottontails out to 60+ yards. If anyone is looking for me tomorrow, I'll be in the field. LOL.Here's a typical five shot thirty yard group in good conditions. This little rifle never ceases to amaze me.Posted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

Year round, ten a day, and 20 in possession! :signlol2iu: Cliff I'm curious what is the going rate for an out of stater like myself to get an Arizona hunting license?Mc

#3 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

Year round, ten a day, and 20 in possession! :signlol2iu: Cliff I'm curious what is the going rate for an out of stater like myself to get an Arizona hunting license?Mc

Well, according to my brand new book of regs, a non-resident general hunting license is $151.25. A three day non-resident license is $61.25. These are good for small game and varmint hunting. Not good for big game. Also, the yearly license here is good for the calendar year, Jan. thru Dec. California was always July thru June.This is really cool. Tree squirrel season ended in December and Prairie dog season doesn't start until July, jackrabbits are varmints and open all year, and now, knowing that cottontails are also huntable year round, I'm thinking that a few combo rabbit hunts are in order. Even though technically, jackrabbits are hares and not rabbits, my airguns don't know the difference, nor do they care. :signlol2iu:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

Might have to get hold of Braz for a road trip in the future. Of course we'd be needin a guide an all. Cliff. :signlol2iu:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

Might have to get hold of Braz for a road trip in the future. Of course we'd be needin a guide an all. Cliff. :signlol2iu:

Give me some time to learn the lay of the land, so it's not a wasted trip, and that could really be a lot of fun. Arizona has the "blacktail jackrabbits", but we also have what are called the "antelope jackrabbits". These suckers are HUGE. They reside in the southern part of the state near the Tucson area. One of my road trips this year is to scout some areas down there to airgun hunt those beauties. I'm liking this state more and more all the time. :)Look at the size of this guy. http://wc.pima.edu/~...s/mamm_anja.htm

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

You're a lucky dog that made the right move. Can't wait to see what you find.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

Cliff thanks for the info. Year round bunny busting is right up my alley. I think my Disco and I might have to make a few trips to the other side of the river this year.

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

These Jacks are from the El Centro area...friend and I walked 6 miles and bagged two...seen another I swear you could have put a saddle on...lol....these jacks are tough to get...Posted ImagePosted ImageGood hunting Cliff...

#9 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

Rich, Good shooting on the Jacks. Which of your guns were you using?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users