#1 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Airguns, Inventing and Fishing

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

I bought this Dueling Gun at Quartzite last weekend. It looks to like a backup in a case of 4 dueling pistols. 2 usually larger. Also, could it be a pocket gun used 200 years ago. I have seen others that look similar but not with the screw on barrels. Also, it seems like the older models are brass. Is that true? I really liked it so bought. He asked $600 but I couldn't even though I thought it was a deal. Told him I could only give $400 and started to walk saying thanks. He says oh oh right. I haven't many sells today! so I walked off with it and now having a hell of a time figuring out the year and if it was a single gun sold or part of a set. Any help would be appreciated.BoneAttached File  1.jpg   13.78KB   13 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   18.1KB   14 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   11.48KB   14 downloads
If you kill it eat it!

#2 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:22 PM

Here's a link to some proof marks, including one British mark that is similar to that on your gun.ProofmarksGood luck. If you send your pictures and copies of any other documents to the NRA, their pool of experts may be able to help you. Did that once with an old gun I bought and got interesting info back.<EDIT>Here is a link to a similar pistol, made in London and described as a traveling pistol.Traveling Pistol

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#3 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

I checked out the proofs and one does look close but slightly different. I only have one letter and the swords seem to be slanting a bit different. I notice on the barrel there is a single line on one side and looks to be an L on the frame side. Looks like it was to match to know that the barrel was all the way sealed. I measured the inside and it measures .422/423 is size. What cal would that be? Or is it intended to be a shot gun? I can see there isn't obstuction in the barrel and looks like a step in the vary back. The barrel is tight and not sure how I should try to remove or if I should. Don't want to break anything. The action all works and feels very nice as well. Thanks much for your information I really appreciate your time.Terry
If you kill it eat it!

#4 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:34 PM

I GOT IT... I GOT IT...!!!!!it's really old.............:yahoo: :653:

#5 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:19 PM

I guess it's a 40 cal and the wad and ball it's just the right size. Then I don't know dog poop about Black Powder. I had a 50 cal once but never measured the bore. Anyway, it's driving me crazy because I can't find it. I figure it's worth more if I can't find it so please someone ID it for me so I can sleep. :yahoo:
If you kill it eat it!

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:43 PM

Give it to me that way you can get some sleep. Cool looking weapon. good luck finding info on it keep us posted.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#7 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:57 AM

Hey Bone, very nice looking pistols you got. :signs121fj: Keep us informed when you find out more about them.
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#8 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:26 AM

Try this listing at Dixie: Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

#9 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

I got this information yesterday about the gun from a good source.

Thank you for your inquiry to the National Firearms Museum . Your pistol is a late example of a British screw barrel flintlock as Twigg and Bass came together as partners in 1800.Prior to that, Twigg operated a very successful arms business from 1774 to 1800.This pistol can be dated in the approximate 1800 to 1815 period. The proofmarks indicate the piece was proved at Birmingham , a common thing as the Birmingham house charged less than the London one. The London marking was the more “posh” one that mattered to buyers. Please note that NRA and museum policy prohibit staff from providing any valuation services. Sincerely, National Firearms Museum

I have been trying to get the barrel off without taking pliers to it. It looks like it will if I can find something to grab it with without scaring it. From looking around the price I paid was a fair price and it looks like it could be worth more because it is in better shape then most I've been looking at. I'd say the gun is worth about $600 maybe a bit less of more. I don't plan on selling it as I think they are cool to look at! Kind of neat holding history in your hands. The gun is 200 years old and still looks like it could fire just fine. I read something interesting on these as well. I found a page that shows the FPS and PFE or these guns. If you used a ball with cotton patch and fired it would throw a .11 grain bullet around 290 fps and that if you swedged it into place by screwing the barrel in place it would go around 400 fps. That's the reason for the barrel coming off as well as cleaning ease. At least that's what I think! LOLThanks again!Terry
If you kill it eat it!

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

Because it's a brass barrel I'd be careful that you don't deform it trying to remove it. Scratching it is one thing but if you put enough pressure on it might bend or collapse.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#11 indyjrt

indyjrt

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

When is the next Antiques Roadshow coming near you? :signlol2iu:

#12 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

I hear ya on the barrel coming off. I'm more worried that the threads will strip and marking it badly. There was a grip of sort that these gun owners used. I read about one somewhere recently. Should of taken better notes. I may be able to find one of those or make one like it if I find out how or what they where shaped like. I notice mine has a taper making the problem even worse. The matting piece should fit the same taper.The antique show. One of my favorites. Never seen a weapon on there though.
If you kill it eat it!

#13 Moonclip

Moonclip

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:09 PM

There is a black powder forum and a firearms research forum at thehighroad.org that might be of help. The gun could also possibly be appraised by an auction house but I'm not sure what they would charge for that. IIRC Butterfields is in Hollywood on Sunset.

#14 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:40 PM

I have been trying to get the barrel off without taking pliers to it. It looks like it will if I can find something to grab it with without scaring it.

try one of these Posted Image
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

I've got those same strap wrenches. Great for bathroom and sink faucets. You don't scratch them up.

Time waits for no one--

#16 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the info Moonclip I just joined their forum and put in the blackpowder section. Sagedog, where do you get those straps?
If you kill it eat it!

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

Any decent hardware story should have the strap wrenches. I got mine at Ace Hardware.

Time waits for no one--

#18 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

Harbor Freight! :roflmao3[1]:
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

#19 Bone