12 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

I am currently shooting Black Hills 50gr. V-max's out of my Model 10. I nailed some distance jacks this weekend and I decided that all these things are (aside from being very accurate) are explosive. Major asada upon exit.Does anyone have any fur friendly bullet recommendations?
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#2 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

Well the varmint grenades were supposed to fill that order...unfortunately, in a .223 I don't think you can get the velocity to make them explode inside the animal prior to exiting. You might want to try this for fur friendly shooting....hehehe

Attached Files

Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:47 PM

Fur friendly for what animal?

#4 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

I don't mind blowing jacks up, but taking a bobcat for example...I'd probably not shoot one with this load honestly, I'd like to at least keep the pelt from an animal that nice. The only bobcat I've gotten was with a shotgun, so no pelt damage.
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

A jackrabbit is much smaller than a mature bobcat. That V-max will perform exceptionally well with little to no pelt damage if you stay off the shoulder or other major bones. All of these animals were shot with 40 grain V-max from a 223. Other than the fox that was hit low there wasn't a single exit wound.Posted ImageHalf of the animals in this picture were shot the 40 V-Max out of a 223 and 22-250. The others were shot with 35 grain Berger HP's. Same thing, when the shooter placed the bullet correctly there was no exit wound.Posted Image

#6 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:16 PM

Well there you go. Proof is in the pictures. I've ONLY shot jacks with this gun and load. This weekend I gut shot one as he was running and the other was a 140 yard/paces shot to the front of the chest, both splayed the animals wide open. So I guess your photos give me hope that I don't have to change my accurate load.Were those all from your Texas hunts, Heath? The jealousy is pouring right now!!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#7 Oleboy

Oleboy

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

Try the Varmint Gernades it does more internal damage.

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

Try the Varmint Gernades it does more internal damage.

Based on what? No way does the VG come close to what the V-Max will do.

#9 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

I shoot 50grn V-Max out of my .223 for coyotes. Generally no exit wound, unless you hit them is such a location that it doesn't matter, where any bullet would tear the fur up. I do not keep pelts unless it is a really nice one and I just give them to a local who sells them. I use the V max because I like the accuracy and they always do a fine job killing. But I'd use them even if I was keeping pelts. Coyotes are much larger than any jackrabbit, even a small bobcat has enough body mass I'd think it wouldn't be an issue. Shoot a big fat rockchuck with one, the little chucks explode. Big fat ones often won't, they have enough mass to keep the bullet from penetrating all the way. That is what they are designed to do.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#10 Oleboy

Oleboy

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

Based on what? No way does the VG come close to what the V-Max will do.

Ok I read the post Fur Friendly.And if you want a bullet that will not do much dammage to pelts then try the Varmint Gernade.Now try the Varmint Gernade on Wabbits or Squirrels and I promise it will blow them up. But bigger animals Yotes or cats it does internal.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,318 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

I beg to differ on the results of the Barnes Varmint Grenades. I had so of the very first 36gr bullets and they weren't nearly as destructive on squirrels and the penetrated animals that the v-max would not. Now maybe they will be making some changes in them if they can but from what I've read around the web they're still passing through animals.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 Oleboy

Oleboy

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

I shot 5 dogs 2 sundays ago no exit 22-250. Shot Squirrels saturday & sunday @ Tejon and I will post pic of what it did to those.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,318 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

See I shoot mostly .223's anymore so I'm not pushing them as hard or fast as your .22-250. Speed kills!

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users