• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:26 PM

Tried out the JSB Jumbo Exact Heavy pellets this weekend. The first group was off the paper as the Sumatra was sighted in for the Eun Jin 28 gr domes. To get on the paper without changing the scopes setting, I adjusted the aiming point. There were some fliers that I suspect may have been caused by some of the pellets not having enough lube. The lube I used was spray furniture wax.Posted ImageIt would seem that squirrels would be in serious trouble when i use these pellets with the Sumatra. :signs1242cn:

#2 SOcal

SOcal

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

Nice groups, those Sumatra's are beasts!!! I'll try and get some 25 and 50 yard groups up from my .25 cal Theoben Rapid.

#3 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

Here are some groups from various PCP's that I hunt with. With the right pellet, these guns are all amazingly accurate and deadly. I've lost track of the thousands of vermin and small game I've taken with them.RWS Rapier .22. 18 grain JSB at 25 yards and in the head head at 50 yards. Five shot groups.Posted ImageAA 410ERBSL .22. 18 grain JSB at 30 yards and in the head at 50 yards. Five shot groups.Posted ImageFX 2000 .22. 16 grain JSB at 50 yards. First shot at 9 o'clock in the head. Made scope adjustment and fired 7 more. Posted ImageFX 2000 .22. 21 grain Beeman Kodiak at 100 yards. Red dot is 1 inch. Group measured 1.250 inch.Posted ImageMac1 Discovery .22. 16 grain JSB at 30 yards. Five shot group.Posted ImageMac1 Discovery .22. 16 grain JSB at 30 yards. Five shot group.Posted ImageMac1 Discovery .177 10.6 grain Beeman Ram Jet at 25 yards and 40 yards. Five shot groups.Posted Image

#4 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

Nice groupings Cliff. I'm particularly impressed with the 100yd group done with the FX2000. There are alot of powder burners that can't do that at that range.

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

Thanks, it helps to have good equipment. These things are just too much fun.

#6 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

Thanks, Cliff. You're absolutely right that it helps to have good equipment. I'm hoping to get some groups posted across the spectrum of air guns that our people use for hunting and pest control. I have had a problem sorting out the claims of the manufacturers. They publish velocities obtained with ultra light pellets that really don't apply to open field hunting and seldom do you see any representative groups that have been shot with the various rifles. Lack of good data from independent sources makes it difficult for people to determine what they're going to get for their money when they buy. I'm hoping that we can get groups from a wide spectrum of air guns to help people spend their money wisely. :D Or at least have an idea what they're going to get for their money.

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:35 AM

I hear you about the Manufacturers info. You really have to take most of it with a serious grain of salt. I'm starting work on a personal blog. It will have hunting stories, pictures, and videos, but I will also be shooting all of my guns over my chronograph with a lot of different pellets and posting the real world accuracy and velocity results on my blog. Velocity is important to a point, but I will always choose accuracy over velocity.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

Accuracy is always first in my book. If you can't hit what or where you want the velocity doesn't matter.

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:31 PM

Ditto the concerns about accuracy.

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

Speaking of shooting groups....normally when I take my 850 CO2 out hunting,I'll shoot some test shots at my side yard range (at 20 yards) before leaving to hunt because it is "temperature" sensitive"...or so they say...so here are some groups at two different ambient temps on different days....same rifle,pellet and bench rest....3/4" circles...Posted ImageNow...my interpretation is, sweat got in my eyes on the 72 F day....LOL...

#11 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

Nice groups guys....U da man VarmintAir! Your 100 yard groups are impressive beyond word :signs1111cr: I agree with John....accuracy is key above everything else. I have been trying to determine which pellet fires best in my Beeman RX2 and the preliminary results are in. I have to back off to 50-60 yards tomorrow as sometimes things take a turn one way or another. This beer cap was shot at 25 yards yesterday with .20 caliber JSB exacts(10 shots). My gun likes them good enough for sure, but by a tad prefers the extra heavy Kodiaks and the best shooters so far are the Beeman FTS's. Some of my plinking targets are pine cones from the tops of trees in my yard. I have to say that the JSB's hit them with extreme prejudice...rattles the entire branch. Posted Image

#12 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

I can not wait until I am good enough to shoot those kind of groups. My gun and I really like the Centerpoint scope i just put on and shot yesterday before I got run off the range by a dust storm. Windy again today.

#13 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

MD did that Centerpoint scope solve your accuracy problems?

#14 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

....Yes MD...I'm anxious to hear about your new scope too!

#15 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:39 AM

This is a quickie group I shot off my steady stix (the only one I shot at 50 yards that day) with my modded SamYang 909 .456 caliber. I think it was about .9 c-to-c at 50 yards. It was the only 50 yard group I shot that day. Also 35 yard group (only other group I shot that day). The best 3 shot group to date off my stix at 50 yards that I actually measured was .45 inch center to center at 50 yards. Haven't taken a picture of it though. I'll post some more in a couple of days, as I am going out shooting/hunting with a friend and his son tomorrow to help get them hooked on airguns. Hoping to do better.Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 foghawk

foghawk

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

Here are some groups of my FX Airguns Cutlas (Superswift) Cal. .22 34 ft/lbs.I live in the mountains were there is always little wind.The "blue eye" is half inch.April 9: 22 meters / 24.175 yards - 8 shots group JSB Exact Jumbo 5.52 16gr Attached File  DSCN0891.jpg   104.8KB   24 downloads52 meters / 57.14 yards - 5 shots group JSB 5.52 16grAttached File  DSCN0893.jpg   90.72KB   22 downloads70 meters / 77 yards - 8 shots group JSB 5.52 16gr (this day I had a 7 group shot at 50 meters / 55 yards in 1.5 cm)Attached File  DSCN0892.jpg   118.33KB   23 downloads91 meters / 100 yards - 8 shots group JSB 5.52 16gr with little windAttached File  DSCN0894.jpg   91.94KB   19 downloads

#17 foghawk

foghawk

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:59 PM

These are tests of end February 2009, when I asked Cliff how would the PCP2 work in my Cutlas. It was cold (~3C).Dynamic PCP2 5.54 14.5 gr 5 shots group at 50 meters / 55 yardsAttached File  DSCN0895.jpg   110.29KB   21 downloadsDinamic TM2 .22 17gr 5 shots group at 50 meters / 55 yards Attached File  DSCN0897.jpg   99.15KB   24 downloadsDefiant FAC FT 5.52 18 gr 5 shots group at 50 meters / 55 yards Attached File  DSCN0896.jpg   101.02KB   20 downloadsPredator Premium Hunting pellets .22 16gr 5 shots group at 50 meters / 55 yards Attached File  DSCN0883.jpg   93.38KB   25 downloadsI also tested the Gamo TS-18 18.21gr with an "amazing" 5 shots group in more than 10 inches at 50 meters :)

#18 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

Sorry it took me so long to reply. It has been more than a little windy on this side of the valley as you all know. I had to wait several days to get out and shoot. Yes, the Centerpoint 3x9x40 scope solved all my problems. I am going to order two more of this type scopes. Leapers makes the same scope at $20 dollars less per scope. $54 Vs $75. One for my Gamo Whisper and one for my new Marauder. I expect it will be delayed maybe several months. They are going to release 100 in May, then check for Quality Control on those guns, and then go balls out( full speed) untill all orders are filled.

#19 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

MD,Glad to hear that the Centerpoint scope solved the problem and you are back on the paper if not in the 10 ring. Mc

#20 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

Just got back from a six day squirrel hunt in California. I used the .22 Discovery with the new James Linthicum stock on it exclusively. What a great little rifle. This is the first time I have hunted this gun when shooting the DYNAMIC PCP-2 tin pellets.I thoroughly cleaned the bore, from having shot lead pellets in the gun this past tree squirrel season here in Arizona. I then shot a dozen tin pellets to condition the barrel to the new metal.Here is my sight-in group at 55 yards. Five shots measure .689 of an inch ctc at the widest point. The four rounds in the ragged hole, measured .590 ctc. My aim point was the number ten in the ten ring. I made a small scope adjustment and went hunting. Story in separate thread.Posted Image

#21 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

:lol: :lol: U'da Man VAir....Gonna go check out your story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users