11 replies to this topic

#1 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:13 PM

I located some 39g. Blitzking bullets. Sierra Sports in Modesto, small but had what I was looking for. After further reading (as noted in Ruger hunting.com) and others quotes, I thought I would try them. I know there I go thinking again. Since I have H322 I will start with 23.2g. and work up loads to 224.2. If I get desirable results with groups I'll try other powders....back to benchmark or John have you or anyone used RE-10x? Ill keep you posted.Steve

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

and work up loads to 224.2.

Typo ?

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:35 PM

Since I have H322 I will start with 23.2g. and work up loads to 224.2.

B A N G ! ! !

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:05 PM

Steve,I don't think you have to worry about groups. If you can stuff that powder in the case one shot is all you can expect. :(

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

Well, being interested in the 204 Ruger myself, I purchased Todd Kindlers reloading manual & in it he touts the RL10X powder with both the 32 & 40gr Vmax bullets, running at 4198 & 3953 fps respectively. These were the highest velocities produced by any of the powders he tested. RL10X also gives the highest velocity (& best accuracy) in my 223. So it would definitely be the very first powder I try if I end up with a 204. All The BestFrankForgot... Todd listed 27.5 grs as max for the 32 gr bullet & 26.7 as max for the 40gr bullet. Of course your rifle may vary & should also start lower than that, perhaps 2 or 3 grs or so lower?!

#6 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:29 PM

Damned fingers :( never do what I want the to do. That was either a typo or I'm creating the new San Joaquin .204 based on the 50 cal casing :( John, what kind of velocity should I expect?????? :( Can you say fragmented bullet. You guys don't miss anything. :P I did load 10 of each 23.2, 23.7 and 24.2g. H322. Now for a window of fair weather tomorrow. I'll see how they group. I did weigh bullets. This was a first for me. (don't go there) All weighed between 39.0 and 39.2g. How does this muasure up? No pun intendad.I won't be changing the scope setting. I still have 500 rounds 0f 32g. v-max to shoot. Look out squirrels. :P

#7 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for the info Frank. Does it list pressures?Steve

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

Steve, I just scanned the article and did not see any pressures listed... Please keep us posted on your load developments...Frank

#9 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:34 PM

just got a new 204 Remington and have been working up loads .I have tried a bunch of powders H4198,N140,varget,RE10x and the powder that works best for me is 27.7grs. of H4198 with a 39 gr. Sierra Blitzking using W.W. cases and BR4 primer . Consistent 6's and under to .432" every gun likes something different but Sierra & H4198 are now my go to load,and I will now start to move the bullet toward the lands to see if I can tighten up the groups . Will have to wait as The home in cali, is sold and were packing for a move to Idaho.Watch out rock Chucks i'm a commin! :(

#10 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

Thanks for the info John. I saw the IMR4198. 27.7g. Of IMR4198 is a HOT load. Do you have any pressure signs?Steve

#11 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:12 PM

Hog those 39 gr blitz kings realy hurt the varmints . using 26.8 h335 , it what I had and it works 3700 + ft/s ? no cronie. you got the last of those 39rs there was lots more before I got there :( been thinking of h 4198 . need more info please.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#12 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the info John. I saw the IMR4198. 27.7g. Of IMR4198 is a HOT load. Do you have any pressure signs?Steve

Hi Steve,Sorry to get back to you so late but we are finally in our new home in Idaho.It's still a mess got the guns in the gun safe but the reloading bench will have to be built and put together in the near future. To answer your question of pressure the answer is yes,primer is flattening out defiantly would not drop any more powder in the load,and stay with the BR4 primer as they are thicker and can handle some extra pressure,at least thats the story in my Remington VS SF II :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users