10 replies to this topic

#1 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

YAY!! just made the 2 hour drive up to Mac1 to pick up my Disco and fancy blue scuba tank fill adapter! After the 4 hour round trip I immediately mounted my Bushnell Legend on a set of high profile centerpoint rings. So now I'm wondering at what distance should I sight this in to take best advantage of the mildot's for hunting? Took a practice shot in the backyard - it sounded like a paslode framing nailer - not super loud, but loud enough to get the neighbors attention if I kept shooting! The maximum yardage I have here at home is my 20 yard archery range, but i think I'll have to take a drive to sight the Disco in...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#2 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

I have a MAC 1 Discovery .22 cal, plus a Umarex 850 and a Beeman R9 DG .22...I sighted in all three at 20 yards...this gives you an effective kill zone (hunting) of your 20 yard zero to 48 yards (Disco) without a Mil Dot holdover...if you plan to hunt and shoot say at 60 yards,then you should sight in at 30-35 yards...but that is not necessary...because with the Disco, a 20 yard sight in will give you a holdover of 1.5 mil dots at 60 yards....so there is no advantage of sighting in beyond 20 yards unless the game you hunt will require most shots beyond 60 yards...once you look at trajectory calcs for the power of your rifle and BC (Ballistic Coefficient) of your pellets,you will see exactly what I mean...so I try to sight-in for the flattest trajectory given the ranges/power/pellet I'm shooting...and in my case it is the JSB 14.3 gr pellet...Hope this helps...also,use your average chrony results from the first 10 shot string for these calc's...in my case,it is 905 FPS....Here are two Calculators I use...just scroll down to "Demo 9" and click on it to open program....note it asks you for your "sight-in" range....it will give you holdover/under depending on your inputs....and results in Mil Dots...the second gives you OPBZ and PBR...(Explanation in link). In both,the correct BC of your pellet is important.http://www.arld1.com/http://www.airgunexp...alc_opbz-si.cfm?

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:22 PM

Wow, I had no idea the Disco shot that flat! I've been shooting archery too long... MAC1 doesn't carry JSB's - so I picked up a tin of Kodiaks for the time being, which seem to average 21 grains on my grain scale...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

Pyramid Air just got in their JSB's I bought I think 10 sleeves of different weights and they shipped them last week finally. I've been waiting on their shipment for a couple of months now.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

Wow, I had no idea the Disco shot that flat! I've been shooting archery too long... MAC1 doesn't carry JSB's - so I picked up a tin of Kodiaks for the time being, which seem to average 21 grains on my grain scale...

Tinker around with the calculators...try different zero ranges and pellet weights....what I did was use JSB 14.3 gr as my base sight in..you can also get good results with RWS Superdomes....then field test calculated results to compare....only thing to watch is wind...that can slew results...so zero your rifle in calm,no wind conditions....if you need to find a spot to zero for longer than 20 yards...you can go out to the free ranges in Jacumba....it is called Carrizo Range...BLM land east of Jacumba,Ca...Good luck,& good shooting....

#6 SOcal

SOcal

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:52 PM

I sight all my rifles in at 25 yards and regularly get kills out at 75 to 85 yards with my .25 cal. There is a great program called Charigun that is available to give you very accurate depiction of what your pellet is going to do down range. Here is the sight http://chairgun.com/ Like Crazy horse said, make sure you have near perfect conditions and a good bench rest or sand bags. As far as pellet selection goes, I would stay with the 14.3 gr JSB's or the Beeman FTS pellets. Kodiaks might be a little on the heavy side for the Disco. The JSB's will give you a nice flat trajectory out to 65 yards or so and they have by far been the most accurate pellet I have ever shot.Just my 2 cents.

#7 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

I'm going to order up some JSB's from AOA. Real bummer is that I pass Jacumba every day now on my way to a job in Mexicali (for the next 3 weeks). Since I have to cross over into Mexico everyday, taking the air rifle along with me is out! Just today I wished I had it as I drove through the fields west of Calexico. Saw a few pheasant flush across the road today also...

#8 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

Pyramid Air just got in their JSB's I bought I think 10 sleeves of different weights and they shipped them last week finally. I've been waiting on their shipment for a couple of months now.

I just called...they are not expecting the .20 cal until the end of January...and she was not too optimistic about even then :roflmao3[1]:

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

I wonder if they got some and have already promised those. They called me and emailed me seeing if I still wanted my order because the had lots to fill.

Time waits for no one--

#10 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

I don't know Shooter...did you get any .20's in your order? By the sound of her voice, they just didn't get any and are not really expecting any for a while. I called AOA right afterwords and they told me that JSB has not been making the 20's for some reason or another....and they are not expecting to see any for another 2 months.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

No I didn't order any .20's. All of my stuff was .22's but I did get it earlier than was told originally. They said it wouldn't be in until the 26th of January and I got it the end of last week. Not a lot sooner but when you've waited for a couple months it seemed faster. I know JSB has a new production facility and is retooling which is why we're having these delays. It like the old days trying to find Sheridan 5MM pellets all over again. But back then it was just the one pointed barrel pellet and when i got them I was thrilled.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users