• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

Can anyone recall about a month ago, when the subject came up about RCBS balance scales, and getting them reworked and recalibrated? There was a member from Bako that does it and he left a posting with his address, etc., but I can't find it now.Anyone have that info?Thanks,Ed :roflmao3[1]:

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

I do not recall that post. Ohaus manufactured scales for RCBS. I would suggest RCBS or Ohaus for service work.Ohaus Products - Balances and Scales for Precise Weighing

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Ed,From my experience as a former calibration technician, I'll say that there isn't much to go wrong with balance beam scales. It's accuracy and weighing capabilities are determined by the physical characteristics of the component parts. If it hasn't been abused, it should work. To be sure you could buy a set of Check Weights from MidWayUSA and test the scale with them occasionally. If it hasn't been bent, filed, sawn, hammered, kicked or otherwise physically damaged, it's probably OK. Keep it clean and check the level before using and weigh the check weights occasionally and it will continue to function for a century or two. My Ohaus 1010 is 1/3 of the way through it's first century and I just weighed a 250 gr check weight, it weighed 250 grs.Of course if you are concerned and want to be sure, call Ohaus and/or RCBS and ask what they think. Cause you never know whether you're getting the straight skinny on the Internet. :signbs1zn: Link to MidWay Scale Parts :signbs1zn:

#4 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:55 PM

I don't remember that thread. I too have a RCBS 505 scale. What is yours doing that it needs calibrating?

#5 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:03 AM

OOOOOPS!!!I found the post and it was on another site.What I have is a Ohaus 10-10 that has components missing, and the long scale on the balance beam is messed up. Also, have an Ohaus 10-05 that needs parts.Both of these scales have been really beat up. But I just can't stand the idea of tossing them. If I can get them up to new accuracy, someone is going to get some use out of them.Also, have an Ohaus 10-10 I got off E-bay I use that is just great and use it to verify my Chargemaster.Anyway, I've had nothing but good responses from some who had him work on their scales.His name is Scott Parker, lives in Bako. He has posted his address, so if anyone wants it, they can go to:http://www.websiteto...les calibrationCan't cost me anything to inquire.Appreciate all the responses and info.A17shooter, I have the Lyman weight checks and yeah they're great for checking either balance beam or digital. Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users