#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

Last May,when I bought my first air rifle,most on various forums said the head shot was best....so in the begining,I shot squirrels in the head.....mostly at 20-30 yards at the time...then,I began taking squirrels at longer ranges when I got my Disco and had a tune done on my 850 CO2 .177 magnum...One day I lasered a squirrel at 42 yards,but he was feeding low to the ground with his head down...so only choice was a shoulder shot...he dropped like a rock....no wiggling,squirming etc...since then,I have been taking squirrels with a shoulder shot and they all have dropped dead with no bleeding,wiggling,etc....I read about squirrels anatomy and realized that I have been hitting them in their heart & lungs with the shoulder shots which explains (to me at least) why they don't bleed so much or wiggle around....Here are a few recent ones that were all shoulder shots...all from 40-70 yardsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageNow this is one I took in the head with my Beeman R9 .22 at about 25 yards...big difference as he fell and wiggled around and bled alot before dying...think because his heart kept pumpimg...Posted ImageTo me the shoulder shot is best for two reasons: One is,you have more of a target to work with...and second,it is obvious when you hit them in the heart lung area,they die almost instantly...

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

I would agree with you that a chest shot seems to take the wind out of their sails so to speak. I think it's more of a body mass shock to their system. But using a heavy pellet I've knocked them senseless as my PCP guns just blow threw the skulls. But it is a smaller target and there lies some of the problem you spoke of.

#3 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:26 AM

I find that as long as i keep it in range with my .177 cal no further than 33 yards with the RWS misterkugeln 8.2 grain it will take them down with both head and vitals shots here is a clean shoulder kill from 30 yards It wasn't instant took about a full minute to drop so range dose facter inPosted ImageWith my.22 cal disco and AA 410 from 50 to 70 yards i realized it's dead many times i hear the pellet twack solid and they would run puzzling ,then john informed me that the cphp's where hard and blasting right through them so head shots only any range with the PCP's and jsb's for now have been working well .Took a tree rat at 67 yards and the 18.1 grain went clean through his head and he folded AA is a very smooth gun with this pellet

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:23 AM

I have not tried the 18.1 gr pellet yet...been using 14.3/15.8 JSB's mostly in the Disco...and JSB 8.4 in the 850 .177..

#5 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

They are amazing pellets had the pleasure of taking a starling today from 47 yards 50 ft up a tree with no wind and no hold over the 18 grain went right through his chest and he tumbled down the branches . I also got a good 55 yard shot at a squiriell heard the twack and he fell right back in his hole in the tree both of these shots where taken with my AA 410 . I haven't been shooting the disco due to the report and scaring game it's by far my fav but just to loud .I have thousands of pellets in both cals right now but when i reorder i will try some domed in .177 and see if i can streach it out to 40 yards with the varmint hunter

#6 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:14 PM

You have the power in the Gamo Varmit....I would try either JSB 8.4 or 10.2 gr....I got a squirrel at 70 yards with my 850 CO2 .177 using 8.4 gr...perfect conditions..no wind,etc...this is a very accurate rifle..it shoots 810 FPS in 70 F + weather....I'd suggest to keep your FPS below 1000 FPS for the longer shots beyond 40 yards...so depends on weight of pellet...and domes definately are more accurate at those ranges..I'm now limiting my 850 to 60 yards...I was really pushing the envelope taking that squirrel at 70 yards...so now use the Disco .22 beyond 60 yards on squirrels....http://www.californi...showtopic=11189

#7 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

Rich your observations make sense. Having worked as a Paramedic for a number of years I have seen patients up and moving around with significant head injuries. I can't say the same for those with traumatic injuries to the heart. The only other area that would drop them like a rock would be a full disconnect of the spinal cord at the base of the skull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users