8 replies to this topic

#1 xjchad

xjchad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

Hey guys,I'm new here, but love this site already.I have a gamo hunter 440 that i got a couple years ago but haven't got to shoot much until now.I grew up shooting my dad's crossman pump bb/pellet rifle, and was pretty good with that, but the gamo has been giving me problems. I know part of it is just that i need to shoot it more, but i've read on here that spingers shoot a little different than others. Could you guys elaborate on that a little for me? Just looking for some tips to help me shoot it better. Also, it came with a scope, but i've always used open sights. Any tips on getting the scope dialed in?Thanks in advance!Chad

#2 carspidey

carspidey

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:just got interested in air rifle shooting (rifles were always an interest to me though)...

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

Hello, and welcome to the forum!!!You found the right place to ask for help... I too have a Gamo and here i found a lot of help on learning how to shoot it properly (i am not good yet, but still practicing)...Right now I am at work... at lunch break I'll see if I can find some of the posts and links that were given to me as help...For now, just try to read about the artillery hold, which is very important with springers...About dialing the scope... go to youtube and search "how to sight an air rifle scope"... later i'll get you more help...

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:35 AM

First of all welcome to the forum. :hellohello9il: Springers have a reverse recoil. It's from the spring moving forward upon firing. They are also quiet prone to being hold sensitive. That means you need to hold the rifle the same way each time to get consistent results. They also don't like to be held too tightly, more of a looser grip. Especially the front hand just cradle the fore end of the stock don't clamp onto it. You will find they are also particular about what pellet they like to shoot too. They need to be broken in also. The best thing to do is get at least 200 pellets through the gun before attempting anything accuracy wise. I would really like to see 500 pellets but the 200 will loosen things up a bit and clear any excess lube from the air cylinder. What do you want to do with the gun? Shoot paper or hunt small animals? That helps to pick out a type of pellet to use though most prefer a domed pellet as the best all around choice. As for the scope I'd use it and after you get some pellets through it and get use to holding the gun you can start adjusting the scope. Again what you shoot will depend somewhat on what yardage you sight it in at.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 xjchad

xjchad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

Wow, great!Thanks for the advise!As for what i want to do with it, I really want to do both. Targets, cans, etc. but also small game. I'm gonnna make one of your silent pellet traps so i can start getting pellets though it.Thanks again guys!

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

If you have anymore questions as you shoot the gun feel free to ask. I think we have enough people that can easily answer your questions. But getting familiar with the gun is the first step.

Time waits for no one--

#6 xjchad

xjchad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

Thanks guys!I was able to get some more pellets through it this weekend.Not sighting it in yet, but definitely getting the feel for it, and learning the artilery holdTHanks for all the advice!

#7 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

I would sight it in at 20 yards it should hold while you break it in and then go from there by making small adjustments as you go will help get a feel for the way to shoot it . . I found that using a good quality pellet is key with gamo's RWS and JSB's are real solid for all types of shooting . after about 1500 misterkuglnd's i'am shooting JSB predators and all it took to zero it was 2 clicks to the left at 25 yrd's such flawless ammo worth the extra money JMO i love my gamo even though others think there dog poop mine's tuned and very reliable enjoy it The knot

#8 solocam3

solocam3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Bow and Rifle, Varminting,Sailing, Fishing, Boating, Quading, Recycling, Composting, Camping, Family stuff.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

I would sight it in at 20 yards it should hold while you break it in and then go from there by making small adjustments as you go will help get a feel for the way to shoot it . . I found that using a good quality pellet is key with gamo's RWS and JSB's are real solid for all types of shooting . after about 1500 misterkuglnd's i'am shooting JSB predators and all it took to zero it was 2 clicks to the left at 25 yrd's such flawless ammo worth the extra money JMO i love my gamo even though others think there dog poop mine's tuned and very reliable enjoy it The knot

Hi guys. I thought that I would just continue with this thread as I am a newbie to the Air gun scene. (What does PCP stand for?) I just phone ordered from D & L Airguns out of Langley, B.C. a Benjamin & Sheridan (Now owned by Crossman, I think) Super Streak .177. I phoned it in on Wed Afternoon and had it in my hot little hands on Friday Morning by Courier. I have done a fair bit of reasearch on the web and read a lot of reviews (all the way from "dont buy this dog poop" to "after its broken in I expect my 5 shot groups to tighten up from 0.25 inches) so what do you believe. So far in appearance I am amazed. It looks scarier than my Weatherby Vanguard in .223 cal. I know you cant judge a book by its cover. Even the scope impresses the hell out of me. It is a centre Point 4 X 16 X 40 with illiminated reticles and you can switch from red to green (Get the heck out!!!) I have only shot it three times as of yet, have not tried to sight it in even but am sure looking forward to it. It is a good solid feeling rifle weighing in at about 8 and 1/2 pounds. Looking forward to breaking her in (They said around 200 rounds) Does anyone have any hints or opinions on this Air Rifle? Thanks

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,384 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

PCP stands for Pre- Charged Pneumatic. I have an over 40 year old Sheridan Silver Streak that I still shoot. They are a fine airgun that you can pump to operate which make it very handy. PCP's need either a hand pump, Scuba tank, high pressure tank of high pressure pump to fill. PCP like you gun have no recoil so they are easy to shoot and very accurate. The higher priced PCP's have shrouded barrels making them very quiet to shoot something my old Sheridan never was. My old silver streak still gives out that loud BLAAAAAP when fired. But they are a very effective air rifle.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users