#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

We have had record temps past few days....89 F yesterday...so went out today even though Santa Ana winds were gusting 15-35 mph....I knew getting in position for a head wind or down wind shot might be difficult...anyway...spotted this squirrel from 80 yards out...took me 30 minutes to get into a position closer and avoid a cross wind...for one hour,I played hide & seek with this squirrel...finally,he made the mistake of climbing up on a tree fall...I got him from 56 yards into a head wind...shoulder shot...Disco .22...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

Nice work Rich. It's always more rewarding when you have to put the stalk on them. If it was easy it wouldn't be fun. Oh well, it wouldn't be as fun. :crazy:

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

Nice shooting and stocking. :crazy:

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:59 PM

When stalking these ground squirrels,I've learned to move only when they go out of sight....then get in range and wait...can't imagine what it would be like hunting tree squirrels...we don't have any in my area...these ground squirrels can spot you from 100 yards...so it is slow going in our terrain......

#5 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

Good shooting Rich,It never ceases to amaze me just how sharp eyed those little buggers are. I bought a light weight leafy mesh camo suit at Bass Pro last year and have used it both for my Turkey hunt and for the ground squirrels and it seems to work pretty good. I've found with the ground squirrels, there is just no way to get around being seen while moving, but once I've picked my spot and set down I just look like a bush to them.

#6 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:30 AM

Good stalk putting in the time makes it that much sweeter . I have good hunts when i sit and wait on one spot they cross through some open trees where i have shots from 30 to 50 yrds clear from an old hollow tree .But nothing beats a spot and stalk good staying with it that long it payed off

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:10 AM

Good shooting Rich,It never ceases to amaze me just how sharp eyed those little buggers are. I bought a light weight leafy mesh camo suit at Bass Pro last year and have used it both for my Turkey hunt and for the ground squirrels and it seems to work pretty good. I've found with the ground squirrels, there is just no way to get around being seen while moving, but once I've picked my spot and set down I just look like a bush to them.

I use Natural Gear Camo.(SC11)..plus a leafy full mesh face mask.(Cabelas)...works much better than my old woodland camo but think using the face mask has improved things much better...but still have to keep movements very slight/slow...I now go out early as they seem to come out after sun hits their rock burrows...I really need a sun shade for my scope...have not found one for my 4x16x40AO mil dot CenterPoint yet...shooting towards late morning sun is a real pain in the kazoo...LOL...http://www.naturalge...Section=Science

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:32 AM

Good stalk putting in the time makes it that much sweeter . I have good hunts when i sit and wait on one spot they cross through some open trees where i have shots from 30 to 50 yrds clear from an old hollow tree .But nothing beats a spot and stalk good staying with it that long it payed off

Where I hunt the squirrels are in rock out croppings way out in the open...I have had to walk/stalk 300 yards using trees/shadows for cover to get set up....but it makes for a fun morning when I get one....

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

Crazyhorse,Congrats on making the stalk work. That was a nice shot with the Disco. Good pics.By the way, what sling is that??

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

It is a "Claw" shotgun sling..sticks to your shoulder with no slipping...great as I scan with my binocs alot....I favor those as I can use it on all my rifles especially the Beeman break barrel...I don't want to mess with swivals and such...very handy carry sling...Cabelas has them..got mine at Turners..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users