• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Shooter42

Shooter42

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:COYOTE HUNTING AND WHATEVER ELS NEEDS KILLIN' LOL...

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

I mostly use hand calls but am looking into going at least part digital foxpro seems to be highly praised but also highly priced is it really worth it or is there a better bang for my buck?

#2 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

Of all the E callers Foxpro is by far the best.. Matter of fact the Fury the latest little model just got voted 2009 Editors Choice by Outdoor Magazine.. I have the FX3 and just love it... As for the price.. Yes it s worth it. Its hardy, handles rain, snow, r the heat just fine, good range, excellent sound...

#3 Shooter42

Shooter42

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:COYOTE HUNTING AND WHATEVER ELS NEEDS KILLIN' LOL...

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:39 AM

Thanks 'CoyoteHuntress' that's exactly what I wanted to hear I have been twisting my own arm on this for a while and thought it was way to expensive but now I'm just gonna suck it up and pay it out plus it might just make my hunts that much more successful and not as much of a lung work-out

#4 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:28 AM

A lot of guys also like Minaska callers. Foxpro has good products but sometimes the company seems to concentrate more on business politics and legalities rather than just concentrating on customer service and better products. Just my $.02.

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

I have a Minaska and I really like it. The volume and sound quality (personal opinion) is far better than my friend's Foxpro. Battery life is better too. Just my opinion. When things are voted "best" often there are politics involved. Compare the units side-by-side and then make your own decision based on performance.

#6 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

I have a Minaska and I really like it. The volume and sound quality (personal opinion) is far better than my friend's Foxpro. Battery life is better too. Just my opinion. When things are voted "best" often there are politics involved. Compare the units side-by-side and then make your own decision based on performance.

The Deset dog has the ring of iron in his voice. I used Minaska Bandit callers for a few years, and they are indeed a good caller. The sound quality improved when they went to the "Big country" model with the ten watt TOA built in. The Minaska and Foxpro callers were pretty much equal in quality until the Foxpro Fury was recently introduced. The Fury uses all new frequency technology, and a remote control that reaches out to a much longer line of sight range. This new remote control remains reliable when the caller is hidden behind trees and brush also. I use the "horn" speaker on my Fury, and the sounds are very loud and clear. I also have a Foxpro scorpion, and an FX5. They are both good units also.

#7 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

I have the Miniska my buddy has the Scorpion they both work great.

#8 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Shooter I've got an fx-3 three and have no complaints, I think BgBamBoo has an OCC(open country caller) by foxpro and I haven't PM'd about it yet but it looks pretty cool. The FX-3 does eat up some batteries.Call me and you can check it out if you like :crazy:

#9 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:08 AM

I have a Foxpro FX5 but knowing what I now know I think I'd get the Minaska over the Foxpro.

#10 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

I mostly use hand calls but am looking into going at least part digital foxpro seems to be highly praised but also highly priced is it really worth it or is there a better bang for my buck?

Any of the e-callers will work. Foxpro, Minaska, JS, WT...they all call in critters, although some cost substantially more than others. The main thing to look for is remote operation, get the sound away from you, it's by far the biggest advantage when using an e-caller.

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

Well said, I agree. I've heard the same sounds played on comparable models between FoxPro and Minaska and know which one I like better. I also love the battery in my Minaska.

#12 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

I also love the battery in my Minaska.

You're in love with a battery?

#13 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

:signs121fj:

#14 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:10 PM

well I guess it takes all kinds :signs121fj:

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

well I guess it takes all kinds :signs121fj:

Apparently, LOL. Yes, I set myself up for that one. I have learned over the years his sense of humor is pretty different than mine and doesn't mean anything by it.But to explain on my comment about the battery, when I go hunting I often make a weekend of it. I've owned three different FoxPro models over the years and they all used thr AA batteries. On a full weekend of hunting I have replaced the batteries any where from 2 to 4 times depending on the temperature outside. Some times those darn batteries would die on a stand. With the gel cell battery in the Minaska I have hunted all weekend on a fresh charge. And with a little cheap power inverter in my truck I can charge the caller up when I am getting some sleep.

#16 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:46 PM

I have learned over the years his sense of humor is pretty different than mine and doesn't mean anything by it.

:signs121fj: 10-4 Heath.

#17 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:25 PM

I get pretty charged up over them!!

#18 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:45 AM

I've hunted behind the FX3 and then the FX5 upgrade and the Minaska (Tawnoper's). Both the Foxpro and Minaska call in animals and work fine. I like my Foxrpo remote and Ed likes his. They both get the sound away from the caller, which is what you are looking for in an e-caller.I will say this, I have heard both units and I believe the sound quality and the clarity and loudness of the speaker are better in the Minaska. The same sounds played on both units sound better and louder in the Minaska. Not bagging on Foxpro, heck I own one. It's just what I've noticed.Foxpro Fury: If you are thinking of purchasing this unit, I'd wait until they iron all the bugs out of it first. The remote looks likes something they'd use to land the space shuttle and apparently there are customers that are having issues with remote response and reciever distance from the caller. Again, just what I've read on other forums.To be honest, you don't need all the bells and whistles on an e-caller. Just remote features and a handful of sounds. I have over 100 on my FX5 and only use six of them.I use all sorts of handcalls (Haydel, Dan Thompson, Braz, Lohman's, RR) and they all sound FANTASTIC...in the truck, when I'm practicing. LOL

#19 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

I ordered a Fury from Foxpro on 1/7/09 and their confirmation e-mail stated that the unit would be shipped 2-3 days. Then I started reading about the delivery delays others were experiencing, mostly on other boards. All Predators has around 300 units delivered or spoken for, but I ordered one from them also to hedge my bet. I left a phone message and got a return call from Foxpro today. They did not BS me and said that it would four weeks minimum before they would ship my unit because of their commitment to their wholesale customers, e.g. Cabela's, All Predators, etc., all of whom will sell many more units to the end users than Foxpro. All Predators has a waiting list but will move you up on the list as others cancel orders, don't pay, etc. Jones at All Predators told me, and Foxpro confirmed, that they ran out of the silk screened face plates for the remotes and are waiting for their order to be filled and claimed no problems with the Fury other than the face plates. There is also some rumbling on other boards about unreliable communications between the remote and the Fury, but nothing I would consider conclusive at this point.If and when I receive and field test the Fury I will probably sell me FX5 for $350. In the meantime I ordered an external speaker and one of April's (Yoters Den) tote bags in desert camo that holds the Fury, external speaker and remote. Sure hope I have something to put in the tote bag soon. I upgraded my FX3 to an FX5 and am very happy with both. I also have a Minaska Mini-Bandit which is a good backup, but not nearly as user friendly but was a good deal at their close out price of $350. It does sound good and is a nice size.BTW, I noticed that Tim Lewis (Sore Loser) is no longer mentioning Foxpro in his tag line???Woo

#20 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

I would not doubt at all that the Minaska is a better sounding & quaility unit than the Foxpro. I only say that from the experince I have with my own Foxpro. Some of the sounds really were not as good as they should be & only until I replaced (some) of them with someone elses sounds did it work a LOT better and finally became happy with it. I've said this before but will say it again... I was also not happy with the service I received with Foxpro when I sent mine in for sound replacements... TWICE! I know I could have called Mike Dillon... but WHY should I have to do that to get good service in the first place?Anyway, I do like my Foxpro and would most likely buy another, but not without taking a good look at Minaska first. My 2 centsFrank

#21 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

I picked up a Fx3 in early december for $250 in the Cabela's bargin cave, I have yet to use it i nthe field as I have always used hand calls and decoys in conjunction. I am excited to see how it plays in my fur taking this year. I would definately get another is this one fails me.Bryan

If you haven't used it yet then how can you say you would definitely get another??

#22 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:23 AM

Minaskas range and response time on the remote is exellant. It will go thru about anything. I honestly think that that big paddel remote on the fury is going to cost you more coyotes than give you the edge. The glare off the t.v screen should bust you every time.. all you need is on and off. Too many gadgets to look at. thats the beauty of mouth calls. when your out of air ,your looking for coyotes instead of having your eyeballs buried down at the palm of your hand looking at all these features at your fingers that you dont need meanwhile the coyote came in and out of your vision..

#23 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

My hunting buddy's friend (don't know the guy) got fed up with the response time on his FX5 that he shot the Fox Pro unit. I just sat there and laughed! My buddy said to him "What the hell did you do that for? Aren't those things like $500?" The guy was so mad at himself I'm sure but he just picked up the pieces and we went to another area. Lucky for them I only use hand calls. Told my buddy that I don't want his friend coming on another hunt unless he's going to give me $500 (although, I shoot back)! :roflmao3[1]:

#24 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:02 AM

I have only tested it in my backyard, and called in the neighbors dog from down the road

:signlol2iu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users