74 replies to this topic

#1 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:07 PM

Hey guys I would like to get some opinions about a small game cal. Wich would prefer 17hmr or 22 mag for sqirrels rabbits or cans?I have an AR,22-250 and some 10-22's but would like to get a rimfire fore longer distance shots :roflmao3[1]: Ron

#2 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

Will you be shooting in the Condor zone ever? If so, 22mag is the ONLY current rimfire with non-lead ammo available. There is talk about .17hmr coming out in non-lead, but it hasn't happened yet.As for the comparison between the two, with the 22mag, it's gonna have more punch if you decide to shoot larger varmints. The 22mag is also better in the wind. The 17hmr on the other hand will reach out farther/flatter with less punch but more of an explosive effect.If I was deciding between the two, it would come down to one question:Am I EVER gonna want to shoot it at critters in the Condor zone?If the answer is yes, go with the 22mag, no go with the 17hmr.Either way, I HIGHLY recommend the Savage with Heavy barrel and Accutrigger. (I just picked up my 22mag last night).
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#3 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

I HIGHLY recommend the Savage with Heavy barrel and Accutrigger.

I have one of these in 17hmr and I am very happy with it. It is very accurate out to 100 yards. After that, the bullet drops fast. The wind is also a major factor when shooting the 17hmr. My Savage is one of my rifles that I will keep forever.

#4 CCMIND

CCMIND

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:53 PM

I have had rifles in both calibers and have been very happy with both. My .22 mag is a Ruger M77 and the 17hmr I had was a Remington 597. I shot mostly squirrels with both rifles with very good results. If your shots are going to be out to 150 yards you might want to go with the 17. I didn't notice a huge difference between the two in the wind. Both of them don't like much wind. The .22 mag has a little more energy for say a coon, fox or bobcat. Ammo price is a consideration also. Maxi Mag hp's do the best in my rifle and around 8 to 9 bucks a box and the 597 liked the Hornady 20 gr ballistic tip. I found them locally for $10/box. not much difference really. That 17 is a kick to shoot though. Normally you can see your shot hit in the scope.Good luck,Jason

#5 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

Pppsssssssssssssttt You can buy both :) Why limit yourself to just ONE :signs1180lq:
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#6 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:55 PM

That's the kind of thinking I like. :signs1180lq:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:40 PM

Pppsssssssssssssttt You can buy both :signs165xk: Why limit yourself to just ONE :hellohello9il:

Ding Ding, we have a winner!!

#8 ECVMatt

ECVMatt

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

I am with the buy both crowd. I have two Rugers, one in .22M and the other is a .17. I kind of use them differently. I have not had good luck with the .17 and large critters like raccoons and possums. I shoot these a lot in TX. So I use the .22M on them. When I am shooting smaller things like turtles, squirrels, snakes and such I go to the .17. It is super accurate and hammers the smaller type things. If I had to only pick one it would be the .22M. It is a bit more versatile.I like the Rugers and Marlins.I have had bad luck with the Savage, it would not extract rounds. I eventually got it fixed, but I was miffed it came broke from the factory.Matt
Credo Quia Absurdum!ECV 395

#9 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

Will you be shooting in the Condor zone ever? If so, 22mag is the ONLY current rimfire with non-lead ammo available. There is talk about .17hmr coming out in non-lead, but it hasn't happened yet.As for the comparison between the two, with the 22mag, it's gonna have more punch if you decide to shoot larger varmints. The 22mag is also better in the wind. The 17hmr on the other hand will reach out farther/flatter with less punch but more of an explosive effect.If I was deciding between the two, it would come down to one question:Am I EVER gonna want to shoot it at critters in the Condor zone?If the answer is yes, go with the 22mag, no go with the 17hmr.Either way, I HIGHLY recommend the Savage with Heavy barrel and Accutrigger. (I just picked up my 22mag last night).

You are correct on everything except wind deflection, the Hmr is better than the 22 mag.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#10 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

Couldn't be happier with a .17 HMR. It is a more accurate round than the .22 mag IMO. A .22 mag could in theory have more knockdown power, but you shouldn't be trying to kill anything so large with a .22 that a .17 wouldn't handle it anyway. And for that sized varmints being able to hit them is the most important.I have a CZ 453 with the single set trigger. Best thing on this place to shoot squirrels with. That gun continues to impress me with it's accuracy, esp now that I bedded it and changed scopes again. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a nice rifle that can hit anything inside 100-150 yds.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#11 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

You are correct on everything except wind deflection, the Hmr is better than the 22 mag.

Really? I thought with the lightweight of the .17hmr, wind would play a bigger role. I stand corrected. :)I found a really interesting article over at Jesse's about comparing the two.http://www.jesseshunting.com/articles/guns/category16/92.html
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

If you're only going to be shooting squirrels get a .17hmr, only because they are useually a bit more accurate. If you are going after anything larger get the .22wmr. I have shot a "few" :signs165xk: feral cats out at the ranch with my .17hmr and often a big tom cat will require one or more follow up shots. My .22 mag puts them down alot quicker. I wouldn't hesitate to use a .22 mag as a bobcat/fox/coyote calling rifle, but even though I know it can be done I wouldn't want to try it with my .17hmr.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#13 ECVMatt

ECVMatt

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:59 PM

I am with Clampdaddy, .22m rules the cats. .256 Winchester is even better. I have had problems with the .17 vs. the porch pussies.Good advice to heed. Matt
Credo Quia Absurdum!ECV 395

#14 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

My wife's shot and killed 6 yotes with her Savage .17HMR. Only thing I told her is to make sure the yotes are inside of 100yds and don't aim for any heavy boned areas. So far she's shot them in the chests and one in the neck.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#15 beerbaitnammo

beerbaitnammo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

I had a .17hmr and it was great when it came to turning ground squirrels inside out. Like others have said, 100yds is about max before wind and bullet drop starts to affect it. Whatever you do...Dont buy the Excel models. Mine blew up on me. I would like to buy another .17hmr just not right now. Have another baby coming so i have to wait for Santa again.

#16 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

both guns are great.if tree hugger ammo is what your looking for all you have todo is order it.ole boy out doors is the place. justin ordered some lead free 17hmr, 22lr and 22 hornet.ammo should be here in a week or so. granted it's new on the market but hey i'll give it a try.so please don't let the tree hugger ammo affect your choice about the 17hmr.

#17 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

Who is making lead-free 17 HMR ammo?

#18 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

not sure who is producing it, but it's ordered from just at ole boy outdoors.

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,290 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

I haven't heard of anyone making non lead .17HMR ammo. I just did a search and can't find any. Plus since I run http://17hmr.net a site about the .17HMR somebody would tell me.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#20 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:37 AM

I got a lever-action 22 mag . Lots of hogs fell to that rifle until they outlawed it for hog hunting..

#21 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

to my understanding justin works with alot of ammo manufactors, and has the inside track on whats come'n out befor the masses.i've been doin alot of business over at his store lately and he's not done me wrong yet.i will post about the ammo when i get it.

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,290 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

There might be something announced after the SHOT Show. We'll see.

Time waits for no one--

#23 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:48 AM

Sure would be nice to have some of the "Green" for our .17HMR's.
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#24 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

I've not heard even a hint about lead-free 17 HMR's. Has anyone?

#25 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I'm going to buy a 17 hmr (first), I have an AR and a 22-250 for the bigger stuff so the 22 mag will have to wait for a while.

#26 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

I have both cals., and my Ruger 22 mag. hasen't been to the field since I got my CZ 17HMR, it's more accurate and shoots alot flatter,I haven't had any problems with kill power ,I usually shoot jacks and ground rats in my almond orchard. love it, go 17HMR , my :signgreatreport3kg: ,,300wsm

#27 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

I have both cals., and my Ruger 22 mag. hasen't been to the field since I got my CZ 17HMR, it's more accurate and shoots alot flatter,I haven't had any problems with kill power ,I usually shoot jacks and ground rats in my almond orchard. love it, go 17HMR , my :signgreatreport3kg: ,,300wsm

Another CZ fan... once you go Czech you never go back... local joke here. Nearest town is all Czechs. Or used to be for the earlier settlers. I am real happy with my CZ 453 in .17 hmr. That think is unreal for killing ground squirrels.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#28 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

UPDATE!!!!! talked to justin at ole boys today and " guess what my LEAD FREE 17hmr ammo should be in around the middle of next mounth.so now you all know 17hmr lead free is on it's way. i cann't wait to get some blood on the barrel.

#29 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

Who makes it? What weight is the bullet?

#30 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,290 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

Yea more info needed about the manufacturer would be nice.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users