74 replies to this topic

#31 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

at this point i will say go talk to justin (aka oleboy) he has all the poop. that way i don't screw something up.but really what does it matter, it's green ammo, lead free, tree hugger friendly.....................

#32 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Not everyone is near Bakersfield.

#33 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

ok what does that have todo with anything?justin (oleboy) is a member here on the site.can you not send him a PM to ask a question?buy the way he does ship also if your interested.

#34 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,319 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

I think you may have misunderstood and maybe it's some ammo for .17 Rem. Because I've searched the web and all of the ammo manufactures though CCI loads the majority of .17HMR for CCI, Federal Cartridge, Hornady, and Remington brands. Other ammunition is available from Winchester, PMC and Sellier & Bellot There just isn't any mention of non lead ammo for it. So don't get your hopes up yet people. Believe me if there was any news of a new .17 HMR non lead out it would be somewhere on the web.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#35 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

Not everyone is near Bakersfield.

He ships all over the country.
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#36 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,319 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:46 PM

Yea but you have to have the ammo to ship it and I don't believe there is such a thing.

Time waits for no one--

#37 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

Not to mention that if I can get it locally I don't have to pay shipping. I agree with John, we should have seen SOMETHING if they were coming out with lead free ammo for the 17 HMR.

#38 Oleboy

Oleboy

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

All I can say right now is that its still in R&D and they are working hard to get it here ASAP. Ever seen non lead 204 loaded before Ole Boy Outdoors had it?Or the 223 50GR Varmint Gernade loaded for the AR? Look i'm not here to mislead anyone thats not our style we are here to get you guys what you need We have been the biggest voice for all the hunters that have to shoot non lead. So just know that we are not BSing anyone.Thank you Justin Karr

#39 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

All I can say right now is that its still in R&D and they are working hard to get it here ASAP. Ever seen non lead 204 loaded before Ole Boy Outdoors had it?

Nope, but I bought a couple of boxes of COR-BON .204 26gr Varmint Grenades rated at 3,950 fps from you about a month ago at a reasonable price. The bullet weight is about the same as the heaviest .17 Rem bullet you will find and a lot of coyotes have been killed with those according to Coyote Gods.Woo

#40 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

Well someone will have to eat their words and it won't be me for simply stating that they ship all over the country.

I am pretty sure you misunderstood his comment. He's not saying they don't ship. He is suggesting there isn't yet such a thing as lead free 17 HMR ammo.

#41 Oleboy

Oleboy

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

Nope, but I bought a couple of boxes of COR-BON .204 26gr Varmint Grenades rated at 3,950 fps from you about a month ago at a reasonable price. The bullet weight is about the same as the heaviest .17 Rem bullet you will find and a lot of coyotes have been killed with those according to Coyote Gods.Woo

I agree Woo. I want to thank you for coming in the store I was just stating that we had the 204 when no one had it they did not even have a sku# for it we made up the part# when we order it. Any way my post was just stating that we are not here to BS anyone.Thank you Justin Karr

#42 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

so lets get to the point here....so john, farmer do you think that i would come on this site and start a bunch ofB.S. over some made up ammo? if you do then there is n o reason for me to come back.i thought i was doing the shooting community a favor by passing along some info i found out.but if anytime someone comes on and mite have some info that you two self appointed ammo godsdon't know about yet i must be making the whole thing up.well if that's how i'm going to be treated then delete my info from the system please.

#43 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

gimp, take a chill pill. We just want more details and you weren't providing any.

#44 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

I am pretty sure you misunderstood his comment. He's not saying they don't ship. He is suggesting there isn't yet such a thing as lead free 17 HMR ammo.

I understand perfectly what both of you said and neither of you believe there is such and animal as a .17 HMR factory round available, or will be in the near future, and you both may be right. I'm not validating anything other that the fact the they ship all over the country and that they have a very good selection of non-lead and that you don't have to live in Bakersfield to take advantage of what they have to offer. Let's move on and see what shakes out before someone gets whizzed off for no good reason other than ego.

#45 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

you know i understand that... why is it that there can be something out there that is not on the weband because you cann't find it i must be wrong....i admitted i didn't have all the details about the ammo, told you where to get itand still because you cann't find it it must not be.

#46 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,319 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

You seem to be the one pushing this Steve. I hope they do come up with a .17HMR non lead round so a large number of people that own those guns don't lose the use of them. I don't care if it's Barnes, Winchester or whoever makes it. As for knowing a fair amount about the .17HMR I run http://17hmr.net/. So any ammunition that comes out would be great news. All I said was that to this date I do not and have not heard of any manufacturer that has a .17hmr non lead bullet in the works. So lets wait and see. Take a BIG chill pill! :rolleyes:dirtgimp, either put up or shut up. Obviously you aren't listening to what I'm saying and you can't prove otherwise. :signlol2iu:

Time waits for no one--

#47 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

Gimp, the web is the most cost effective advertising method out there. If there is a new product out there by any big company you're going to find it on the web. They post it on their website and then websites and even blogs like http://www.thefirearmblog.com compete to be the "first" to get the news out and on the net. Google "shot show 2009" and you will find more websites than you can count reporting on new and improved products from the Shot show.Woo, I am in agreement with John. I'd love for there to be lead free 17 HMR ammo available. I also don't doubt that folks have stuff in R&D right now. But I won't count my 17 HMR bullets until the lead free hits the market.

#48 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:40 PM

john it's your site what do you want me to prove?i have answered everyones questions as best i can if i could not answer the question i told them where to get the rite info because i admitted i did not knowall the details. and i was still told i did not know what i was talking about.so now please tell me what you want to know now and i will do my best to get all the info i can.

#49 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,319 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

dirtgimp you just tell us to talk to oleboy. While I could do that he won't have anymore info than I already have about the ammo. So lets just leave it at that. You are pushing his store as far as I can see.

Time waits for no one--

#50 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

i'm not pushing any store.i told you to talk to justin because he is the one with the infoabout the ammo.who's making it what grn and so on.i didn't want to screw up the info.

#51 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:48 AM

. . .As for knowing a fair amount about the .17HMR I run http://17hmr.net/. So any ammunition that comes out would be great news. All I said was that to this date I do not and have not heard of any manufacturer that has a .17hmr non lead bullet in the works. So lets wait and see. Take a BIG chill pill! :signs121fj:

I'm familiar with http://17hmr.net/ as I am a member. I also have two .17hmr rifles that are basically useless here in the condor zone. They may still be nearly useless if the non-lead stuff (if and when) weighs only 8-10gr which is why lighter weight copper presents an engineering challenge to the designers. Tungsten alloy may be a different ballgame, but more expensive.SteveH

#52 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,319 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:03 AM

Exactly Steve that's the problem with non lead it's mostly lighter and to make it weigh more the bullets need to be longer which brings on other problems like seating depths and rifle twist rates to stabilize them. That's the difficulty of non lead especially in such small calibers.

Time waits for no one--

#53 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:22 AM

I saw Winchesters 22LR on the approved California list. I haven't actually SEEN any in-person yet though. They are listed as TIN. I can't imagine Tin being effective at killing much of anything.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#54 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,319 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

Here is what Winchester is saying about their rimfire non lead. Notice the .22 LR won't be available until sometime around March 2009.

LEAD-FREE BULLETS ENTER WINCHESTER .22 RIMFIRE LINE IN 2009 As a result of increasing customer demand for lead-free products across the United States, Winchester® Ammunition will offer three lightning-fast, lead-free rimfire bullets, chambered for both .22 Win. Mag and .22 Long Rifle (LR) cartridges, beginning in 2009.The Winchester SUPER-X® lead-free bullets are well-suited for practice and ideal for small game, varmint and pest control. They are designed for maximum expansion and they are extremely accurate. These products use a patented technology to achieve a totally lead-free bullet.“Winchester Ammunition engineers our products for hunters and target shooters to assure they have quality, high-performance ammunition that also complies with local regulations in their hunting and shooting areas” said Greg Kosteck, Director of Marketing for Winchester Ammunition.These three rounds join Winchester’s wide selection of traditional lead projective rimfire products designed for precision target shooting, silhouettes, plinking, small-game, varmint hunting and pest control.The new SUPER-X .22 Win. Mag features: * Muzzle velocity of 2,200 feet per second * Bullet weight: 28 grain JHP * Rounds per box: 50 rd. plastic pack * Symbol: X22MHLF * Availability: January 2009The new SUPER-X .22 Long Rifle * Muzzle velocity of 1650 FPS * Bullet weight: 30 grain THP (tin hollow-point) & TRN (tin round nose) * Rounds per box: 50 rd plastic pack * Symbol: X22LRHLF & X22LRLF * Availability: March 2009

Time waits for no one--

#55 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:21 AM

All I can say right now is that its still in R&D and they are working hard to get it here ASAP.............Thank you Justin Karr

So it's not available yet, right?
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#56 cell4soul

cell4soul

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I'm going to buy a 17 hmr (first), I have an AR and a 22-250 for the bigger stuff so the 22 mag will have to wait for a while.

I think you should remember your family...........so, since your brother already has a 17 HMR, buy the 22 MAG for him and the 17 HMR for yourself. I think that would be the clear solution.

#57 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

17 HMR period. The 22 mag is nice but I prefer the 17. The green ammo for the 22 mag sucks. Just find a lead ok area to shoot in.

#58 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

UPDATE!!!!! talked to justin at ole boys today and " guess what my LEAD FREE 17hmr ammo should be in around the middle of next mounth.so now you all know 17hmr lead free is on it's way. i cann't wait to get some blood on the barrel.

Well it's past the middle of next month and no report on the lead free 17 HMR???? Now we get to wait till next month right? Then the month after. ect. ect. blah blah.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#59 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

you know bzzrd i was just talking to justin today about this very thing.i was told he would call monday and get me some info.when i get a update you will to, good enough? oh ya what's up with the blah blah blah......

#60 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

Buy them both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users