9 replies to this topic

#1 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:24 AM

Cold and snow on the way i went to my spot where it's quiet let out my friends chickens and tossed out some food .Sitting in my truck about 5 minutes and the fun started . All birds where taken from the 20 to 25 yrd's off the fence as they looked for scraps spent an hour and did alright every 10 minutes they came back took 7 shots varmint hunter with 17cal rws misterkuglen are right on at this range so much fun .Posted ImageAs i was leaving a lone crow flew in and sat a top a 70 ft long dead pine i had the AA410 loaded with a 18.1 JSB heavy he gave me time and i took it at 50 yrds out and 70 ft up no wind i felt real good about this as i slowly squeezed the trigger . Three small belly feathers and he was gone lack of hold over cost me a crow at a fun range it would have been a nice cherry in this morning bag but i have no complaints .Got six fresh brown eggs to boot . .Snow .football and some stale corn muffins all weekend should bring in more starlings winter in NY ain't so bad ,got a few greenheads yesterday also on a new blind . How i love my airguns

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:07 AM

Nice shooting Chris! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Too bad about the crow but you have to try to find out. Those starlings can be pretty wary. I have to hide in the long grass and shoot into the pasture so that they can see me. I have been using my Monsoon so that I don't have to move to cock it, just pull the trigger. You have to protect the chicken feed at all cost! :popcorn:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

Thanks john went back around noon to split some wood and got 4 more starlings and 3 more english sparrows knot a bad day 9 starlings and 4 english sparrows. At 40 cents a pound you must arm yourself

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:52 PM

I just hate when they take the food without asking. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Good job on the starlings and English sparrows, Knot. My buddy and I are going out hunting English sparrows tomorrow morning with our air rifles -- if the wind isn't too bad. It's been pretty darn windy here this weekend. I bought a used R9 Goldfinger .177 that I can't wait to try out. So far, from testing on my indoor 10 yard range, the R9 seems to love CPL's, FTS, JSB Predators and JSB Heavies. Doesn't seem to group JSB Exact 8.4 gr as well. We'll see how it does farther out. RA

#6 carspidey

carspidey

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:just got interested in air rifle shooting (rifles were always an interest to me though)...

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:08 PM

What's up RA? How was your hunting trip?I wanted to know what do you do with the birds you kill (hopefully not a dumb question)? And if you ended up going, how was your Goldfinger?

#7 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

Thanks RA today and hour of cigar smoking and sports radio brought 4 more starlings went out in the woods when they stop comming in and got 2 big tree rats with the AA410 fun shooting. The starling have no choice but to take the easy food even if it means losing a few for the team here the ground has been covered with snow and ice for weeks so the food is scarce and with high temps in the 30's they burn food fast .Sat, sun and monday at the chicken coop turned out 15 starlings and 7 sparrows The pest birds i gather up and put in a pile in the woods for the feral cats and raccoons and i'am sure a fox here and there it lasts about 2 days ,The tree rats i use for crow bait if i don't eat them

#8 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

Nice shooting! :doh[1]:

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

Good work Chris. Sounds like fun at the old chicken ranch! :doh[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#10 SOcal

SOcal

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

The Knot - Nice shooting, but random question, where did you get the camo tape for your rifle?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users