4 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:34 PM

I got the bases on, rings mounted and lapped, and scope all mounted on top of the wifes new 17 Remington today. I got the laser bore sighter dug out only to discover it wont work with the 17 caliber. I tried to line it up with something and tried to look down the bore with the bolt out ... that aint happening! I am just going to have to have to start up close to the target when I go to site it in and try to get it on paper. It may take a few more rounds to get it sighted in, but since I am breaking in the barrel it really doesn't matter.After I got it all put together I loaded up 100 rounds of 20 grain V-Max that should be brutal on squirrels or prairie dogs.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:52 AM

Heath, Just bore-sight it the normal way by looking down the barrel with the bolt out and then checking the scope. Clamp or somehow stabilize the rifle and find a reference point while looking through the bore of the rifle. Then check the scope and use the adjustment to line up the cross hairs. It will usually get you to within an inch or two at a hundred yards. The more you practice it the closer to center you'll get it. Plus if the scope is way off in the mounts it will point this out to you before you get to the range. :angry:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:51 AM

John,That sd typically how I do it, but with this 17 caliber I had trouble looking down the bore and aligning it with anything.... that's a pretty small hole

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,962 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:30 AM

I know it's small but a white golf ball or something bright across your yard works too. I guess it's small even your laser bore sighter won't fit. :angry:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:02 AM

I tried for almost 10 minutes to get lined up on a red dot and finally gave up mad ... it beat me. I will just start by shooting at a target that is fairly close and move it back as I get on paper. Since I already have a bore sighter I can justify spending $40 for one just for this rifle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users