10 replies to this topic

#1 USNGOAT

USNGOAT

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:40 PM

Fellas,I went to the Del Mar gun show today to check things out and maybe stumble on a deal. For the most part I was not impressed. Some time ago this show use to be really decent but over time coupled with the implementation of laws it has weakened. Nothing really jumping out as a good deal. Now I will be the first to admit that there are many things I would not know as a deal to begin with but it really seemed that way. One thing I wished I knew more about today though and I am asking you all for your opinion.A man was selling a Yougoslavian 8mm Mouser for 300 dollars. Now he claimed it had never been issued and to be honest it was seemingly believable. There was still alot of cosmaline remaining on the gun and the barrel was pretty full of it aswell. Now that is not really the place to BS anyone as there are many in the crowd that would see thru a trick. But if there happened to be a few flaws in the barrel you would not be able to see until the barrell was cleaned then it is too late. He claimed the gun to be unissued for it's life time. It came with the ammo houlster that would go on your belt, the sling, bayonnett and original cleaning kit. All numbers were matching. The numbers on the barrell, bolt and stock were all the same. The second time I stopped by to look at the gun it was close to the end of the show and he was willing to take 250 cash for it. Again I was not familiar enough with the gun to take the chance. I liked the fact that the gun had all matching numbers and was claimed to not been shot. What do you think? Was it worth the money he was asking for it? I think it would look really sharp with a scope and bipod but for that matter what gun doesn't right? Lastly of the WWII firearms out there in circulation what are a couple considered to be better in quality and shooting than the rest. I think one would make a nice addition to any gun collection. Thanks guys.Amos

#2 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:47 PM

What model and year was it? Also, did you look for wear on the bolt, bolt face, reciever rails, crown, cleaning rod, etc? It would be very hard to tell if an old rifle like that had never been shot or just shot a little bit without a thourough cleaning and inspection. That said, there are Yugo Mausers currently being sold in excellent condition by Mitchel's Mausers that look almost new.I purchased a VERY nice 1939 Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 at Big 5 in Woodland. I had spent the better part of a year searching Bay Area Big 5 stores for the "right" one and I had just dropped off a couple of tons of harvested walnuts in Woodland when I decided to stop and take a look at that store. $79 on sale and I snatched it up very quickly. :) I had a gunsmith check it out for headspace etc after I cleaned it up. He said in his opinion it had never been fired beyond the factory and showed very little or no wear anywhere including the bore etc. Everything matches, all parts were included, and bluing was 99%, not refurbished in any way. (I have since refinished the stock and added a scope)So it IS possible to find rifles like that, they're out there. Hylander has seen this rifle in person and I even allowed him to touch it, just a little. :lol:Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 bwana

bwana

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:I like to hunt, shoot, reload, backpack, ski, and just about anything else you can do in the mountains. I also like sailing and other ocean sports.

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:08 PM

I went to the Del Mar gun show on Saturday and was pretty unimpressed as well. $8 to get in and $10 to park. I renewed my NRA membership and got a free ticket and my daughter (under 12) got in free, so I guess it wasn?t all bad. I was hoping to pick up some needed reloading components and found very little in the way of that there. I only found one booth selling any reasonable quantity and all they had for sale was a few bottles of powder, some miscellaneous unnamed rifle bullets packaged in plastic bags, and a small selection of pistol bullets. There were several big vendors selling loaded ammunition however. I guess people around here don?t reload so much. I was also hoping that some local gun clubs or hunting clubs would have booths there, but no dice.The prices for the guns there also seemed pretty high, at least from what I?m used to from the gun shows in Colorado. $300 for a Yugoslavian Mauser definitely seems high, especially since it?s packed with cosmoline and you can't really get a good look at it. I bought an old Enfield for $150 at a gun show a few years ago that looked pristine. Afterwards I went to get the headspace checked and found that it was way out of whack. You gotta be careful at gun shows, especially with surplus guns.You might want to check out Gunbroker.com or someplace like that and see if you can get a better deal. Check these out: Yugoslavian MauserYugoslavian Mauser 2Yugoslavian Mauser 3It looks like they might be selling for a lot less there. Also Guntests just did an article on 8mm surplus rifles. I forget which one they picked, but I?d be happy to dig it up, scan it, and email it to you if you want.Cheers,Scott
Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and doesn't die. . .

#4 bwana

bwana

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:I like to hunt, shoot, reload, backpack, ski, and just about anything else you can do in the mountains. I also like sailing and other ocean sports.

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:56 PM

Hey Stiffneck,How does that Mosin/Nagant shoot? Is it accurate?Cheers,Scott

#5 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:40 AM

bwana, I've shot numberous sub-MOA 3-shot groups at 100 yards, and even in front of witnesses. Using a 5-inch black bullseye, I typically get 2/3" to 3/4" 3-shot groups with Sellier & Bellot 174gr "Match" BTHP shooting from a bench with sand bags. I'd say that's accurate! :angry: At times I'm tempted to put a larger scope on it just for testing, but it shoots so well as it is I don't want to mess with it!

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:45 AM

We used to have some pictures of those groups on the old forum. That is a good shooting rifle that Ben has cleaned up nicely. I still like your shot of it with the coyote and the gun on shooting sticks. :angry:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:13 AM

I think I still have that pic around somewhere. Here it is.Posted Image

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:23 AM

I think that picture says it all. It works. :angry:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 bwana

bwana

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:31 AM

That's some great accuracy from a surplus rifle. I like the camo tape on it. I wonder how many other varmint hunters are taking coyotes with mosin/nagants? My guess would be not that many.

#10 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:43 AM

It's just a camo slip cover, not tape. I've only shot one coyote with it, it's kinda heavy and kumbersome hiking around. But fun. :angry:

#11 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:56 AM

Yes, that was a suicidal coyote. It was out in NV and this was my last stand for the day. I sat near the top of a bowl and started calling into the bowl, which was directly down wind. I didn't have my head net on, nor my hat because I was sweaty after a long hike and a bunch of unsuccessful stands. After a few sets of Sceery Jackrabbit, this coyote appears at about 100 yards and sneaks under a barbed wire fence. He is trotting at a fast pace directly towards me and directly down wind from me. I figured this was crazy and he'd scent me any second, but no he kept charging. When he was about 25 yards out I whistled, barked, and yelled be the coyote would not stop. He wasn't even phased. It isn't easy to see a charging coyote in your scope from that close because their body is bouncing up and down and all I saw was head, feet, head, feet. I quickly aimed and fired when I saw solid fur. The 174gr BTHP entered his front chest almost at his neck and passed all the way thru his torso nearly blowing off his left rear leg. There were a few small exit wounds in his belly either from bullet or bone fragments blowing up. I paced off the distance and came up with 13 steps from my stand. He never had a clue I was there. If I had brought the bayonett, i could have waited another second or two and stuck him! So, using unconventional tactics, and an unconventional rifle, I was able to nail one coyote on this trip when I least expected it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users