10 replies to this topic

#1 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

I'm seeing quite a few carbon wound paintball tanks up for sale here for pretty cheap, and was wondering if anyone here uses them. I see many of them are 4500 psi, and have an output preset to 400psi, but I'd want to use it on a Disco, so obviously need alot more pressure. Can the valves on these tanks be adjusted or modified to put out 2000 psi for our use?

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,153 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

No. From what I have read the max they can output is 800 PSI.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

Look over this site...should answer your questions...http://www.jdsairman.com/.and this..http://www.jdsairman.../DISCOVERY.html

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

I seen his stuff on the Yellow forum. But a 53 cubic inch tank doesn't give much in the way of refills. Especially at only 3000 psi. I'd get a mini AirHog tank that holds 4500 psi and 9.5 cubic feet of air. This is the one I fill from my 88 cubic foot tanks and carry with me. http://www.airhog.com/mini_tanks.htm

Time waits for no one--

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

He has a 72 cu in tank as well...that's 6-8 fills in a Disco at 2000 psi......good "field tank...Rich

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,153 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

That's still not as practical for me as both my Air Arms 410ERB and FX Monsoon need more air. If I never planned on going above a Disco it would be alright. Nothing wrong with his stuff just doesn't hold enough pressure for my needs and further expansion of my airgun stable. :signs121fj:

Time waits for no one--

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

Gotcha...but for a Disco...not a bad set up....When I hunt,I pump mine to 2000 psi and only shoot about 5-10 shots....so guess it all depends on how you use the rifle....hunting or plinking...

#8 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

Well, think I'll just use one of the four scuba tanks I have lying around for the job. One of my HP120's should be good for quite a few fills. Can't carry it with me into the field, but I generally don't take that many shots while hunting around here anyway...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#9 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:28 PM

Look over this site...should answer your questions...http://www.jdsairman.com/.and this..http://www.jdsairman.../DISCOVERY.html

Rich,Thanks for the info on the link. I've been looking for a site that will just sale the regulator head that I can install in my old paint ball tank. Mc

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:22 AM

Your welcome..I've been searching for tank options....something to fit in my day pack for some overnight hunts in the spring...looks like the 72 cu in aluminum tank will satisfy that.....Side note:If the latest HPA conversion being developed for the Umarex 850 .22 cal by a tuner in Texas works out,I may go that route as I already have a 2nd 850 to convert.. ...the prototype tests at 887/900 FPS on 14.3 gr .22...if the new regulator works out,it will shoot in the 930's and it is anticipated the bulk tank on that gun will yield 100 shots...that will be huge for a factory stock rifle selling presently for around $200....the conversion may cost around $250-$300....so total cost will still be half the cost of the high end PCP's....and it already is an 8 shot bolt action repeater...Neat thing is you won't need a pump...just get the rifle bulk tanks filled...(I do that on my CO2 version...)Here is a pic of one owned by an airguner in Nebraska...this is an earlier conversion done last year...note the HPA tank...(set up for scuba fill)..many options available for these rifles...in either .177 or .22..Posted ImageThis is my tuned CO2 .177....the CO2 paint ball tank yields 500 shots on a fill....!!! It shoots 810 FPS...Posted Image

#11 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

Rich,Thanks for the update on the 850. That is one Sweeeeeeet looking Airgun! I have a 73cu. in. tank that I have left over from my paintball days. I'll just buy the regulator head switch it out and use it as a fill tank for my Disco out in the field. If and when I buy a higher presure PCP I will have to think about getting one of those HP carbon wrapped tanks and regs. Until then though this should work.Mc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users