6 replies to this topic

#1 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

As 98% of my experience is with handguns and rifles, I am tapping the expertise on here regarding number 4 steel shot. Soon I will be doing some hunting in a shotgun only area that is located in the buzzard zone. Went over to Bass Pro this morning and picked up a box of number 4 steel shot. It 2 3/4" chambering and states velocity at 1375 fps. Will that work for yotes? Should I take it back and go for number 2 shot instead? From what I have seen on here, number 4 shot with a full choke is what everyone seems to using.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#2 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

My experience with this stuff is limited, but here goes.1. I think what most folks use is LEAD #4 BUCK (not #4 shot as that's different).2. I also think you will find Steel NOT recommended for Yotes unless you happen to be REALLY close (within 20yds or LESS).3. You are better off just getting some Hevi-shot or Remington Wingmaster in T-shot size. It's expensive, but a proven killer. Plus, how many shots are you going to take? The Coyote is worth at LEAST $3 per shot after all the time, money and effort you put into the opportunity to shoot one.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

Yep - #4 definitely different than #4 buck.#4 shot is .130" and 135 pellets per oz in lead - 192 pellets/oz steel#4 buck is .24" and 21 pellets/oz - I've never seen buckshot in steel.I use #4 shot for jack rabbits, pheasant and ducks so I don't tear them up for good eating.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#4 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:11 PM

I would take that shot back unless you are hunting ducks. I would exchange it for some Hevi-shot dead coyote since it was designed for hunting yotes and works good. It is non toxic so you can use it in the buzzard zone. It is a little more pricey, but you aren't blazing away when hunting yotes so it should last awhile.

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

#4 steel is comparable to #6 lead so you'd better load heavier. I'd forget about steel altogether and get some of the heavier than lead non-toxic ammo.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

If you want a decent steel load for predators, get some T shot in the longest hull your gun will shoot. I have taken coyotes out to 40 yards with steel T, but I don't recommend it.

#7 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

Just cough up the 35 dollars for the dead coyote rounds.You should have a dead dog for each round,that stuff is wicked!
Don't be stupid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users