3 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:10 PM

Who makes the media with the smallest grain? I am using corn cob media (green) right now and it's not much fun trying to empty it out of these 17 Remington cases!

#2 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:35 PM

SBF,The walnut shell media is usually smaller.To get the media out of 17 cal cases hold the cases against the tub of the cleaner while it's running. That shakes the media out of the ones that aren't just jam-packed pretty fast. :lol: To make the task more agreeable you can meditate on what it would be like if you were shooting a 14 or 10 caliber while you're processing the 17s. :o Caution! :o If 14 or 10 caliber starts to sound like a good idea, stop this meditating schmidt immediately! A17Shooter

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:33 AM

Thanks, as soon as my reloading supply guy gets back Iwill got get some walnut media.I can only imagine the headache with a 10 or 14 caliber ... I think I will stick with the 17!

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:29 AM

Heath, look at the walnut media too for size. Some of it has clumps in it or the pieces are just not small enough. I use some geology sieves and screen mine anyway. But a plain old kitchen sieve will work too. I've had some bigger pieces wedge in my cases before I started sieving them and I had thought I got everything out. I can tell Gary knows his stuff because he knows the vibratory tumbler trick for dislodging the media from the cases. Oh yeah do it back into the tumbler too other wise you have a mess. :lol: I have used a rotary sifter for the past few years and it works very well. One of my older Lyman tumblers has a plug you removed from the bowl to release the media. If you can stand the noise it shakes everything out of the cases. :)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users