7 replies to this topic

#1 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

I'm looking for the right AR15 upper for my build. Do any of you have experiance with the E.R. Shaw 20 inch Heavy barrel? The price is right, but is the quality right?

#2 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:56 PM

Don't know about ER Shaw barrels. How much are they asking for that barrel?

#3 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

I'm looking for the right AR15 upper for my build. Do any of you have experiance with the E.R. Shaw 20 inch Heavy barrel? The price is right, but is the quality right?

Red dog I have a 24 inch ER Shaw on my AR it shoots well with factory ammo. I called ER Shaw directly and talked to them before ordering from a vendor. I have a few ER Shaw barrels on my rim fires and they shoot excellent. No White oak barrel but for the price worth it in my opinion Just my :welcomeani: Robert

#4 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:23 PM

Fakawee- The complete upper is $575.00 they way I want it. 20 inch flat top, aluminum free floating hand guards, heavy barrel, with the detatchable carry handle.Fishwrestler- Thanks for the input, what kind of groups are you getting with that 24 inch?

#5 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

Fishwrestler- Thanks for the input, what kind of groups are you getting with that 24 inch?

Red Dog, I was getting under an inch. I just traded the whole gun for two new shotguns. After I built it it and shot it I decided it wasn't what I wanted. Robert

#6 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:31 PM

[quote name='Red Dog' date='Dec 30 2008, 05:23 PM' post='119757']Fakawee- The complete upper is $575.00 they way I want it. 20 inch flat top, aluminum free floating hand guards, heavy barrel, with the detatchable carry handle.That sounds fairly reasonable to me. A while ago, I spoke to my gunsmith in Riverside about replacing the Stag barrel on my Super Varminter that I use for target shooting. It shoots sub-half inch groups but I want better! He says some of the best barrels for AR-15's are Hart's or Krieger's but they go for more than $500.00 just for the barrel. I don't know what you are planning on shooting or what your goals are for your build but $575.00 for all that, doesn't sound too bad to me.

#7 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

I don't know what you are planning on shooting or what your goals are for your build but $575.00 for all that, doesn't sound too bad to me.

I'm wanting sub MOA. I'll be using it for coyotes and squeeks. I'm about to place my order, I just want to get any more input if there is any to get before I make my final decision.

#8 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:29 PM

i ordered the 20 hbar fluted flat top upper for mine dont have it yet its gonna take another 8 weeks before i see it.it is an er shaw.i ordered it cause a guy i work with has the 24 in. er shaw from model1sales and he has shot water bottles at 200 yards with it consistently and its been on his ar for 2 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users