9 replies to this topic

#1 Augnmike

Augnmike

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:39 PM

I have a chance to buy a Leupold VX III 6.5x20x40 gloss finish, center dot reticle. Excellent condition for $375. What do you guys think of the price and what predator/varmint use would it have?Thanks, Mike

#2 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:16 PM

I have the 6.5X20X40 on my R700 22-250. Purchased it, sent it back to Leupold and had the target dot reticle installed along With tactical turrets, the entire package cost me near $1000.00 eight years ago. The scope has performed perfectly and its easy to see the difference between this scope and an inexpensive one. If that Leupold is in good shape buy it, you won't be disappointed.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:31 PM

Well, my latest price list of scopes is at work and I'm at home right now. However, I am going to "guess" that scope is in the $600 range or there abouts brand new. Maybe more, so can go from there.As far as hunting purposes, I believe it would make a good varmint scope, but not a good predator one. The field of view would be about as small as a straw (slight exageration), & I would imagine the eye relief would be too short for my liking. I also think the light gathering may be considerably less. Which all adds up to not being the best choice for predators IMHO. But good for varmints though. If hunting for both predator & varmints it may be ok, or might want something more in the middle?! One of my 223's wears a 4 1/2 x 14 Leupold VXIII, & even the 4 1/2 pwr is too high for me. Also it's eye relief is approx 1/2" less (than a 3x9), which is a lot to me. HOWEVER, I would prefer it over the 6.5x20 if I had my druthers. To me the perfect "coyote" scope is something more like a 2x7, 2 1/2x8 or a 3x9. The 3x9 Zeiss is my favorite for predators. That low power is needed quite often & I do not want anything higher than 3x on the low end. I believe Burris makes a 3x12 & may be good for both types of hunting, but I have no experience with it.Good Luck in Your DecisionFrankWell, so much for my price "guess"... LOL

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:47 PM

That scope would be Leupold 55144 and it has 30mm tube so you'll need the big rings. But that's a good price. This is the cheapest I could find it at Bud's and he always has the best scope prices.Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm LR Gloss Dot (55144) $613.55 It's a nice scope but maybe a bit high powered for coyote hunting. It is a great choice for squirrel and varmint hunting. You might not care for the gloss finish for coyote hunting too. The gloss is pretty shiny and you'll get some reflections. But for the price of the scope you can buy it and put it on a varmint gun latter.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:24 PM

I know a lot of dead Coyotes that would disagree with you guys about the effectiveness of this scope on predators. I have shot them from 75 yards to 400+ yards, no problem. Even took a Bobcat at close to 500 yards as it was walking away from me. I don't know about the 30mm rings though, mine is 1" and plenty bright.

#6 RayGun

RayGun

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:01 PM

Hey, I'm with the majority here. I have a couple fine crosshair scopes with dots and even tried them on predator rifles a couple times. Always came back to heavier (duplex type) crosshairs. On moving animals with a variety of background shades and shapes, the fine lines and dots got lost in the image too often. Not saying they were impossible tu use, only that I found them less effective than I liked.That's my 2 bits worth.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:35 PM

Is it a side focus?

Only one BIG problem with Leupold side focus scopes. Leupold states you must rack the focus fully forward then back to focus each time you adjust it or it will changing your point of aim. I wasn't aware of this when I bought my overly expensive Leupold Varmint Reticle scopes. I'm not crazy about their solution. :angry:

The side-focus models demand that you compensate for lash. Each time you adjust focus/parallax on these scopes, you need to rotate the side knob ALL the way back to the infinity stop and then work back slowly to best target focus. This "dial-back" procedure is straight from Leupold's engineers.

From 6mm.com

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:18 PM

I don't know about the scope or the price but the target dot I got one on my yote rifle (22-250) and I love it. Some times things happen fast and I notice a lot of rifles scopes have so much stuff going on in the reticles like mil dots or range finding stuff, but when you got a dog up in your face or what ever its nice put the dot on the dog and shoot. I would get it if you can afford it sounds like a nice scope but the only thing is the gloss can stand out like a sore thumb on those sunny days.

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:03 AM

OOPS, correction... I said mine (4 1/2x14 Leupold) was the newer VXIII, but is wrong. It is the "Vari" X III with the adjustable objective on the front of the scope (where it belongs). LOL I knew the newer VX's were coming out (Jan 2005) so quickly bought their existing older(sorta) model. It's a good scope, but for predator hunting the crosshairs are too fine especially in poor light. My 3x9 Zeiss Conquest (ZPlex?) with extra thick outside cross hairs are substantially better IMHO. Unbelievable actually how much easier I am on a dog with it over my 4 1/2 x 14.Good Luck in Your DecisionFrank

#10 Augnmike

Augnmike

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:51 AM

Scope turns out to be the Vari-X III not the VX III. I already have a Vari-X so I am going to pass on the scope. Price may still be ok but not the deal I thought it might be. It is a side focus though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users