• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 carspidey

carspidey

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:just got interested in air rifle shooting (rifles were always an interest to me though)...

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

As most of you know, right now I am enjoying the Gamo Big Cat... but after reading many posts I am considering saving for the Beeman R9... but I had a few questions...First, what is the difference between the R9 and the R9 double Gold? Are they the same gun, but only that it comes with a scope and a muzzle break?Also, what caliber should I get and why? I noticed that with .177 i get more fps than the .20, but both have the same muzzle energy... Right now I am not that interested in hunting yet... I want the rifle more for target shooting, but I really would like to have good accuracy...Thanks...Also, can you post some pics that show how the gun shoots... I rememeber I saw a post where SJ showed how his R9 shoots at 50 yards... Thanks again...

#2 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:20 AM

The R9 in either .177/.20 cal is very good accurate air rifle...it is priced lower than the R9 Double Gold or Goldfinger at $395.00 without optional scope..but the base R9 has open sights..for target shooting I recommend the .177 caliber...you won't be disappointed.....it shoots in the range of 930 FPS depending on pellet you use..The R9 Double Gold .22 is priced higher at $499.00 without optional scope...and is not equipped with open sights..you need a scope with this rifle....it shoots at 740 FPS using 14.3 GR pellets....Below is a field "test" target from last May for my R9 DG .22 and my Umarex CO2 850 .177 at 50 yards. The R9 groups are bottom of target (note I jerked one shot with the R9).... I sight in all my air rifles around 25 yards...when I test them in the field at longer ranges,my goal is to hit within a 2" circle,not to try for very small groups because I hunt and hitting consistantly within the 2" gets the job done on rabbits....for squirrels I strive for hitting within a 1" circle (using a different target)On this day I was shooting into a head wind of 6-8 mph using my sniper sticks from kneeling....I guess you can say I shot approx 1" groups that day..??? I was trying to "hold" on the black dot in center of circle...Posted ImageIn contrast,this target below is a "sight in" target for my Umarex 850 and grids/dots are 1".I use this rifle for squirrels and it is an 8 shot bolt action repeater...Posted ImageThis is probably the best I can do with the Umarex...I was actually trying for the smallest group I could get shooting from sitting using a camera tripod at 25 yards...Grids 1" and red dots 1/2"...have not tried this with the R9..Posted Image

#3 carspidey

carspidey

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:just got interested in air rifle shooting (rifles were always an interest to me though)...

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

Thanks...You are like the fourth, fifth person who has told me to get the R9 in .177 and I won't be dissapointed... I guess that will be my choice then... :DIt would be nice guys if you had more pics of targets you have shot with your R9...Oh... just one more question... what's the difference between the goldfinger and the double gold...??? I know Straight Shoothers has the Double Gold...

#4 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:27 AM

Oh... just one more question... what's the difference between the goldfinger and the double gold...??? I know Straight Shoothers has the Double Gold...

The Goldfinger is obsolete and no longer sold by Beeman. It was replaced by the Double Gold. Both have gold anodized triggers, muzzle brake and no iron sights. The Goldfingers originally were paired with a Bushnell Banner scope. The Double Golds have been paired with Chinese scopes with a Beeman logo on them, although I've heard that this month Beeman will start shipping out Double Golds with the better Bushnell Banner scopes again. Beeman's catalog also lists something called a "Precision Gold" and I think that comes with a different scope than the Double Gold, but I don't know much about it. As Crazyhorse says, another option is that you could buy a standard R9 with iron sights and fit it with a mount and scope later. The advantage is that you would get into an R9 cheaper initially so you could start shooting it, and eventually you'd end up adding a better scope and mounts than what comes on the Double Gold combo. However, be aware that the barrels on iron sight guns are slightly drooped on purpose at the Weirauch factory. But the Double Gold and Goldfinger guns that come with no iron sights are not factory drooped. I was told this by the gunsmith at Beeman's Huntington Beach shop with regard to my iron sighted R7 last summer. I had him straighten my barrel to remove the droop. It shoots like a dream. By the way, that's another good reason to buy a Beeman/Weirauch. Since you live in Los Angeles, if you need your gun serviced (e.g., new spring or seals or if you want it "Super Tuned"), you can just drive it down to Beeman in Huntington Beach and drop it off and you won't have to worry about your rifle being damaged in shipping. Plus, they're extremely cool there. Although they don't advertise this, if you take your rifle down in person, they'll often agree to work on it while you wait if they're not too busy. Just call in advance to see if you can schedule an appointment with the gunsmith. You can sometimes find good deals on used R9's on the Yellow Forum. Here's the link, then go to the Classifieds section. http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/Cheers,RA

#5 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:47 AM

Since you have a .17 cal already you should try giving a diffrent cal a try . I don't know if it possible and the cash isn't there right now but when it is i will call tim at MAC1 and my 22 cal disco will become a 25 cal fast . That would leave me sitting pretty my gamo VH would take care of pest birds and rats around the house i can use myAA 410 for long range rabbits , treerats and crows dropped a TR from 67 yards the other day the JSB 18.1 went right through it's head 2 holes no blood and he folded up . And if tim can upgrade my disco to 25 cal i can use it for big varmints . JMO but shooting paper is only fun for sighting in then it's camo time. I only hunt varmints so having the 3 cals has it's purposes. If paper is all you crave a .20 cal would give you a little more pop and flavor shooting two .17's could get redundant and if you buy a beeman you will never shoot your untuned gamo anyway JMO again . Happy hunting while you save theres lots of guns out there

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,969 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:11 AM

Chris I agree with you. I've been thinking about having my Disco converted to .25cal too. I see it being done on a regular basis now. That's true about the Beeman and not shooting the Gamo again too.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 carspidey

carspidey

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:35 PM

Thanks everybody for the very good information...I guess if I get the R9 (not the double gold) I know I get the barrel drooped, which can be fixed if I drive to HB... which is not too far, I guess...And maybe, once I am ready to get it, it would be nice to go to HB and buy it there instead of buying through StraightShooters.com... I might have a better feel for what I really want...I think you guys are right, once I get the R9 I won't be shooting the Gamo (although I was thinking of tuning the Gamo first before i buy the R9)...Also, if I get the Double Gold, I might want to wait until they make them with the better scopes again...Now, about the caliber I want to get... now I am going to have to think about it :)...Finally, now I might be out of a job in two months (bad news at work) i might have to check where the money i get goes...Again, thanks everybody for the great information you guys give... it is greatly appreciated...

#8 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:35 PM

You won't necessarily have to get a drooped barrel adjusted by Beeman's shop. There are scope mounts available that will adjust for barrel droop, and that's what most people do. My friend was headed to the Beeman Huntington Beach shop to have warranty work done on his HW97k so I tagged along and got my R7's barrel adjusted at the same time. Cheers and good luck on the job front,RA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users