#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:17 AM

When I first hunted with my Beeman R9, I never liked walking around with a pellet loaded/rifle cocked....so that was a disadvantage if I came up on a rabbit, (I'd have to load/cock,then shoot....)But there is a little trick I think you can do with most spring guns...just open breech part way without cocking,insert pellet and close breech.Works on my R9..as breech opens just enough to pre-load a pellet....then,when ready to shoot,all I have to do is cock the rifle and fire without having to load a pellet...Posted ImageWatcha think...??? :smiley_kewlpics:

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:14 AM

I think that's my secret and you stole it! :smiley_kewlpics: I hate carrying them cocked too. I know it won't hurt them but just something I grew up doing. :1rock1oo:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 socalmatt

socalmatt

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:51 AM

I haven't hunted with a springer in years but when I did, I would do the same thing. I never liked the idea of walking around for a long period of time with the spring compressed. It wasn't from a safety stand point, just didn't want to ruin the spring in my gun. Many times I would spot a rabbit then cock the gun, put the cross hairs on em and they would move away before I could shoot. When this happens you can de cock a spring piston rifle by breaking open the barrel all the way down until it stops, just like you do when cocking it. Then take the safety off. Make sure that you are holding the barrel firmly because you are going to release the cocked spring and you need to control the barrel or it will slam shut. Now with a good grip on the barrel pull the barrel down just a bit more and squeeze the trigger. You will feel the spring release and the barrel will now be under pressure just like if you were cocking it. Just ride the barrel up and close it. Now you can go find another rabbit with out leaving the gun cocked. If you all ready knew this sorry, I just thought I share.
Join the NRA

#4 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

Right on - Now its my "secret"!

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:58 AM

Matt, I always cringed doing that. I have a nasty scare on my right little finger where a Daisey Red Ryder almost chopped the tip of my finger off when a friend pulled the trigger while I was cocking the gun. I've always been squeamish doing that with a break barrel. I thought it might jump out of my hands and bite me! :harhar1[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#6 socalmatt

socalmatt

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

I here you on that one ShooterJohn. I don"t want anyone to get hurt trying something I recommended. Just to clarify don't put your fingers anywhere near the loading port and the trigger at the same time. When you de cock an air rifle one hand will be at the end of the barrel, and the other around the pistol grip. If you do it this way its very safe. Its a one man operation. Don't have anyone else hold the rifle or pull the trigger. I'm sorry if this confuses the issue. If so dont attempt and just disregard what I'm saying.
Join the NRA

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

No you had it right. Just being once bitten I'm chicken it will happen again. I've had my hands caught in animal traps and they didn't hurt as much as the Red Ryder did when it put the smack down on my finger. :harhar1[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#8 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

Thats one thing that I have always liked about hunting with my Theoben Eleminator is that I don't have to worry about it take a spring set and can keep it loaded and cocked for a quick shot. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Beeman RX2 in .22 so I can have the best of all worlds, rekord trigger, power, and gas piston power plant. Maybe with the $$$ I just saved on refinancing my house. :D

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

That would be a great investment and fun to shoot. :D

Time waits for no one--

#10 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:25 PM

Yeh I think I will order one through Tim over at Mac 1 in the next month or two and have him install a LDC on the muzzle. I like quiet... :D

#11 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

Crazyhorse, that's a good tip. Pre-loading a pellet without cocking is definitely helpful when hunting. I was preloading constantly on a hunt with my R7 yesterday and the main thing I liked is that once you spot your quarry, you don't have to take your eyes off it to load a pellet and cock the rifle. You can just cock it while at all times watching your prey. We were shooting English sparrows and they're pretty darn small and easy to lose in the trees if you take your eyes off them to load a pellet. RA

#12 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:23 PM

That's the idea...keeping your eyes on the prey...plus less hand movement,the better....!!

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

What's the big deal just fire it into the ground thier you go un cocked . If I am pigeon hunting and walking a long barn I will walk around with it cocked.

#14 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

True..but depends on the game... walking around for hours with it cocked is another matter...over time,the spring can be compromised...

#15 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:02 AM

I've been watching posts here on these airguns..I never imagined how much they've changed or have gotten better & more intricate over the years...sheesh, I was thought the Daisy air rifles were it! and the multi-pump models were for the rich kids!!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

They are and they were. :smiley-sorry:

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users