50 replies to this topic

#1 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

I bought this LX-450 (landcruiser) for hunting about 6months ago.This cruiser's off-roading capability's are awesome!...and in comfort.It came factory with front and rear locking diff's..true 4-wheel drive (nocheezy limited-slip stuff) Climbs up-hill like a bull elk. A 2.5 in. lift with 33's in. tires get it off the ground a bitwith out effecting on road driving.Just wanted to share my new to me, hunting rig.Scott[Posted Image [img]http://i459.

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

Man, I'd be afraid of getting a scratch on that beauty. Very nice rig.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

Nice ride! And I agree with Braz.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,966 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

You're pushing snow under your rig. I'd hate to have to leave it in the sticks until the snow melted. Nice ride be careful. You know what they say about 4 wheel drive. "It will get you stuck twice as deep and twice as far away!" :)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

Make sure you have pictures of the first blood you get in the back of it. :)
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

Geezz someone is spoiled LOL...
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#7 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:41 PM

You're pushing snow under your rig. I'd hate to have to leave it in the sticks until the snow melted. Nice ride be careful. You know what they say about 4 wheel drive. "It will get you stuck twice as deep and twice as far away!" :)

x2. Invest in a good winch...
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#8 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

x2. Invest in a good winch...

Nice ride  +3  and more stuff like a Hi-lift jack, deadman, 2-300' of good rope+ some chain and terminal tackle, a good surplus tarp, survival kit and alot of things that I can't think of right now. My theory about 4WD is it's great for backing out of a 2WD kaStuck but if your 4WD kastuck you are in too deep. Don't listen to Thumper the blood washes right off that tan leather. If I took that beautiful rig hunting and scratched it or messed it up my wife would make sure I cleaned it up real good just before she shot me. :smiley_kewlpics:
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#9 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:14 AM

Man, I'd be afraid of getting a scratch on that beauty. Very nice rig.

Ya Braz, I was careful at first, then I realized why I bought it...to hunt, camp, expedition stuff.It is hard to tell in the pic's but it has a lot of scratches, and already ripped off rear fender flare,but I fixed it. It will get beat-up hunting but thats why I bought it....oh and a little bloody.Scott

#10 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:22 AM

Oh my god, that thing is way to pretty and nice to be a 'hunting' rig. I should show you some of the roads in areas we hunt, most are about 4 feet wide now from all of the mahogany growing into them. So it is brushing the hell out of the sides of your rig the whole lenth. And it doesn't buff out. I can see one huge advantage to a rig like that however... a sunroof. Talk about the ultimate shooting platform! Saves all of the turning around so the drivers side window is on the proper side to shoot squirrels from. Like the others said you'd better be careful in snow like that. That rig is way too light and with those really wide tires you can probably 'float' on top of the snow. That is dangerous as you might float for two miles, then break through. You'll be stuck till spring as it is really tough to get back on top of the snow. I like heavy pickups with narrow tires for snow.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#11 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:27 AM

You're pushing snow under your rig. I'd hate to have to leave it in the sticks until the snow melted. Nice ride be careful. You know what they say about 4 wheel drive. "It will get you stuck twice as deep and twice as far away!" :smiley_kewlpics:

Hey John, ya I have been snow wheelin for over 25 years, and learned what not to do.In that deep snow pic I was running 9 lbs of air for good flotation on top of snow...made it to top of ridge for lunch. I always bring shovel, food, water, air compresser and down sleeping bag (-25 bag). I had taken out 2nd and 3rd row seats so I can sleep in back....4in. thick pad...lots of comfort...dont have to count sheep.ScottPosted Image

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,166 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:37 AM

Looks nice .

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,966 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

I used to do lots of snow wheeling in my CJ5 as I had a set of Terra Tires that floated over the snow if you were sensible in you driving technique. I also had a well used winch and enough extra stuff that I couldn't even get into the back seat. I had to sleep except on the ground. We used to drive the Forrest Hill Baker Ranch Road to Soda Springs in the winter. That was exciting but was back in the late 60's early 70's. Fun stuff but I wouldn't think about that with my Expedition now. It's more like a tank on tires.

Time waits for no one--

#14 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

Here is the picture I was looking for...

Attached Files

"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#15 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

Nice ride  +3  and more stuff like a Hi-lift jack, deadman, 2-300' of good rope+ some chain and terminal tackle, a good surplus tarp, survival kit and alot of things that I can't think of right now. My theory about 4WD is it's great for backing out of a 2WD kaStuck but if your 4WD kastuck you are in too deep. Don't listen to Thumper the blood washes right off that tan leather. If I took that beautiful rig hunting and scratched it or messed it up my wife would make sure I cleaned it up real good just before she shot me. :smiley_kewlpics:

WIFE SAID DONT SCRATCH IT!!!But on our camping trip the trail got tight and sraped some oak tree limbs...she said "Well thats why we bought it"Boy I got out of that one...yikes

#16 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:43 AM

Its about time!!! lol

#17 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

Here is the picture I was looking for...

Yes Pogo, we think alike!

#18 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:50 AM

WIFE SAID DONT SCRATCH IT!!!But on our camping trip the trail got tight and sraped some oak tree limbs...she said "Well thats why we bought it"Boy I got out of that one...yikes

Ha! I know the drill - 2 years ago when my wife was in need of a new car she was "so-so" on everything we tried... untill she sat in an H-3. As she smiled at me in the back seat I immediately said - "o.k. but I get to use this for what it is made to do".A couple of scratches later I'm still married and today she is going out into the forrest with me for the first time.... no hunting tho'. Oh well I'll take what I can get.

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,966 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:53 AM

Here are a couple of pictures of bzzrd feedr's SAV "Squirrel Assault Vehicle."Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageWouldn't want to sleep in it but shooting out of it is great.

Time waits for no one--

#20 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

I used to do lots of snow wheeling in my CJ5 as I had a set of Terra Tires that floated over the snow if you were sensible in you driving technique. I also had a well used winch and enough extra stuff that I couldn't even get into the back seat. I had to sleep except on the ground. We used to drive the Forrest Hill Baker Ranch Road to Soda Springs in the winter. That was exciting but was back in the late 60's early 70's. Fun stuff but I wouldn't think about that with my Expedition now. It's more like a tank on tires.

Soda springs road is a blast! Did a little hunting there this deer season (and blue grouse) but came up short :harhar1[1]: We were thinking about getting a expedition 4x4, but yes they are just to wide, long and heavy for what we want to do...but the space would of been nice to have.

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,966 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

I can show you a place that has blue grouse but it's farther up Hwy 80 and on the other side. :harhar1[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#22 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:11 AM

Here are a couple of pictures of bzzrd feedr's SAV "Squirrel Assault Vehicle."Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageWouldn't want to sleep in it but shooting out of it is great.

WOW that's cool!!!!I like that set up.

#23 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:16 PM

I thought it is illegal to shoot in a vehicle? :harhar1[1]:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#24 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

That bottom picture looks very familar, must be in Surprise Valley. Nice setup, when I get old and retire I'd like to have a setup like that! Have the time to just blast away all day, reload all night.

#25 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:38 PM

Ha! I know the drill - 2 years ago when my wife was in need of a new car she was "so-so" on everything we tried... untill she sat in an H-3. As she smiled at me in the back seat I immediately said - "o.k. but I get to use this for what it is made to do".A couple of scratches later I'm still married and today she is going out into the forrest with me for the first time.... no hunting tho'. Oh well I'll take what I can get.

With my wifes blessing, I took our GMC Sierra 2500 HD to Utah hunting when it was only 5 months old. It cost me a fortune to get it detailed when I got back. Now that the truck is 3 years old, she doesn't give me that much fuzz anymore. It's my mobile shooting platform now. :harhar1[1]: I'm still being carefull though!!!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#26 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:21 PM

I can show you a place that has blue grouse but it's farther up Hwy 80 and on the other side. ;)

Shooter John that would be great, blue grouse is one bird ive not taken yet...missed two in sep.Would like to put a couple in the freezer.I :harhar1[1]: would love to know.Thanks...Scott

#27 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,966 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

I thought it is illegal to shoot in a vehicle? :harhar1[1]:

It is except when it's on private property with NO public access. ;)

Time waits for no one--

#28 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

:D Had to pull this pic up from one of your threads. :D Since we are talking about being spoiled while out camping/hunting. http://www.californi...d...ost&id=1942 :D
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#29 woodsman44

woodsman44

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

Now thats spoiled!!! :D

#30 jim d

jim d

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

I can show you a place that has blue grouse but it's farther up Hwy 80 and on the other side. :roflmao3[1]:

John,please don't tell people there is good hunting up in this area, there are enough people up there already. I hunted this area this year for deer season and counted 32 vehicles and campsites opening morning within a half mile of my campsite. The whole area was swamped with ATVs, road hunters and tree stands. I set my tree stand up 10 days before the opening weekend and by opening morning there were four stands within 100 yds of mine. Needless to say I didn't use my stand opening weekend. :roflmao3[1]:-----just kidding John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users