13 replies to this topic

#1 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:53 AM

Hi everyone~ Got two Pheasant last season and not too familiar with how a simple way to eat them is?? Anyone got any suggestions??? Thank you

#2 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:26 PM

Simple way.... 350 in the oven .. Season like you would chicken or any other bird... Lay some bacon over the bird and cook til done.. Deep fried... 3 to 3 1/2 mins per lb.. Season how you like. and put the bird in :D Southern fried.. Cut into pieces. leg, thigh, breast etc, dip in egg/milk mix, lay into a dry mix of flour, and your favrite seasonings, use a spoon to get the mix all over... coat well... Place in skillet on medium heat with enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan with about 1/4 in of oil. Lay pieces in and place a lid on, you can let the lid hang over the edge a bit so there is a small opening... Turn ever so often and its done when its golden brown and doesnt bleed when poked .
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:08 PM

I just toss them in the crock pot with a bottle of Italian salad dressing. :D
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,356 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:18 PM

I like that crock pot idea. It works with all sorts of game.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

CoyoteHuntress- how long in the oven for the first idea? Thank you, they all sound good.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,356 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:00 PM

About 20 to 30 minutes a pound.

Time waits for no one--

#7 outdoorsman

outdoorsman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:41 AM

Debone meat, flour and fry till golden brown. Place cooked meat into 9 x13 baking dish and pour 1 lrg. can of cream of mushroom soup (thinned down a bit with milk) over meat. Bake at 350 for about 30 min. Serve over rice or mash potatoes. My wife and kids love it!

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,356 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

I think that bird might be a bit under done at 30 minutes. The recipe I found for mushroom sauce said the prep time was 30 minutes but the cook time was 1.5 hours.

Time waits for no one--

#9 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

SJ Deboned meat is cooked by frying it first I think.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,356 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

Stupid me didn't see deboned. :smiley-sorry:

Time waits for no one--

#11 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

We forgive you SJ, you get one beings it's a new year. You used up your limit for the year on the first day. :smiley-sorry:
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#12 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:47 PM

:roflmao3[1]: ;) ;) :flag:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#13 stubby3

stubby3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:pheasant hunting,deer hunting, varmint hunting, fishing.paper punching, cooking wild game smoker cooking. makeing my own salami,sausage and reloading shotgun and rifle.

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:45 PM

this one isn't simple but it makes excellent table fare. if you like chowder. pheasant chowder 4 oz bacon chopped [ or more if desired] 1/2 cup chopped celery 1 cup chopped onion 1/2 cup diced or shredded carrots 8 oz fresh sliced mushrooms 3 large potatoes peeled and cubed [ note i used 2 bags 1-1/2 lb each frozen hashbrowns] its easier 2- 14 oz cans chicken broth 4 cans cream soup [ i used c of mushroom, c of celery,c of chicken and c of onion ] 1 bay leaf 2 good sized pinches of oregano 1 tsp paprika 3 tbsp parsley 2 good shakes of chipotle tobasco sauce[ note its less than 1/2 as hot as regular tobasco with a smokey flavor] 2 boiled and deboned pheasants diced [save broth from boiling to add to the chowder] salt and pepper to taste Brown bacon until crisp remove bacon from pan and then saute onions and mushrooms in the bacon grease until done. Combine all ingredients in 1 pan including the broth from boiling the pheasants. cook over low heat until potatoes are done.note remove bay leaf b4 serving dish up and enjoy i have made double and triple batches for larger groups. don't hesitate to add something you think might add to the flavor BUT sample it b4 adding ingredients so you can compare b4 and after tastes when you add new ingredients.EXAMPLE i have added a pint of cream or sour cream and it excellent. NOTE pheasant can be replaced with chicken or turkey if you prefer, we have used all 3 and their all good. they all work excellent. if i could get guineas i would try them because they are excellent table fare also. mel

#14 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

I tried this one out after letting the bird sit in the frig for 5 days. I think next time I will wait 7 days.Golden Roast Pheasant 1 OrangeS&p to taste1/4 ts Paprika3 Sprigs parsley3 Slices bacon1/2 c Golden raisins1 Pheasant,2.5lb1/2 ts Dried sage3 Garlic cloves4 tb Butter,room temp1 c Dry white winePreheat oven 350 degrees F Squeeze juice of 1/2 the orange into cavity and over skin of bird. Rub bird inside and out with blend of next 3 items( s&p, paprika and sage). Cut remaining orange in half and place in cavity with garlic and parsley. Spread butter over breast of bird and place, breast side up, in shallow pan. Place bacon over breast. Cover with foil and bake 45 min. Heat wine to boiling over high heat. Add raisins, remove from heat and let stand for 45 min. Remove foil and pour wine mixture over pheasant. Bake uncovered, basting frequently, until juice runs clear when a thigh is pierced (about 45min) Remove pheasant with bacon to platter. Spoon some raisin sauce over top and pour remainder into sauce boat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users