#1 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:27 PM

End of January I'm flying to Bosie Idaho to hunt. I'll be flying South West.I've checked their web page about their policy.Just interested in some personal experiences ?

#2 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

Never flown SW but I've been all over the US, Mex. and So. America with shotguns. You need a good sturdy lockable case for the guns. Be prepared to open and show that they are unloaded to the person checking them in. Get there early. Have never carried ammo (always buy it there) but I'm sure somebody will chime in. I've heard if you are taking reloads you may want to put them in a store bought box and have something lockable for the ammo separately.

#3 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:20 AM

Any of the airlines' websites will let you know what the rules are. A lockable hard case is a must. Alaska Airlines requires that the bolt be removed from a rifle but kept in the case. I put the bolt in a Zip Lock bag. I always break down my shotguns when flying. I've put on a lot of air miles flying to trapshooting tournaments in the past but some rules have changed. When you enter the airport make sure the case is locked and the guns inside meet all of the requirements. The ticket agent at the counter will ask you to open the case and show that the gun is unloaded and the gun is incapable of being fired without either reassembling it or putting the bolt back in. You will then sign a statement that the gun is unloaded and a copy will be placed inside the case and you will be given a copy to keep in your possession. You will then be told to lock the case but to stand by for a bit until the gun is cleared by airport security. They may come out and ask you for the key to the case so they can inspect it out of your presence. In Portland you carry the gun case over to where airport security will do all of this and they ask yo for the key every time but it's faster than waiting by the ticket counter for 45 minutes. When you get to your destination, unless they've screwed up, your gun(s) will not come out with the regular baggage. You will have to go to the airline's office by the baggage claim and claim your gun case. You'd better have your stub and sometimes they ask for your ID. No matter how much pains you've taken to sight in your rifle you'd better check the sighting before hunting. More than once some clown with airport security has messed with my scope. No point in complaining just be prepared for it. On a trip to Phoenix a couple of years ago the scope on my Sako was turned off of zero by a couple of inches. I checked it and had the zeros marked so it was no big deal to correct but on a trip to King Salmon, Alaska to hunt caribou someone at Mark Air cranked my scope to max adjustment from zero. I took a limited amount of ammo and had to borrow a rifle to shoot my caribou. Mark Air also lost my meat boxes and my caribou spoiled before they found it. Crappiest airline I've ever flown with. They serve all of the Alaskan frontier communities like Kotzebue, Nome and Point Barrow. You're allowed one box of ammo and it can be the box you purchased it in or a suitable plastic box specifically designed for ammo. You have to pack it separate from the gun and it can go in your suitcase. In this day and age it's a PITA to travel with a firearm but it's only a small part of the trip. Now days if I plan to hunt and it's not too far I just drive but I'm retired and I have the time.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

It's a pretty easy process, just make sure you declare the firearm as soon as you get to the counter.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

Just don't yell out, "I HAVE A GUN!" :)

#6 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

If I get the urge to yell out I'll remind them of my 1st amendment protection. :)

#7 elkguys

elkguys

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy all outdoors and hunting with my son.enjoy meeting fellow outdoors people as we travel

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

have a locke har case the ticket person will sen you to a person that will open the case an check the guns.be empty ammo in the store bought box then lock it up agin when you get to where your going have your ide and the ticket stub.be sure to always give your self extra time to arrive and to pick up guns.the tuffest airport I have been so far is norfolk vir due to all the milatery there.best of luck

#8 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:37 AM

Just don't yell out, "I HAVE A GUN!" :smiley_kewlpics:

LOL...Good advice. In a low voice I always say, "I have a firearm to declare." I've actually thought about making that remark, John.

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

If I get the urge to yell out I'll remind them of my 1st amendment protection. :smiley_kewlpics:

Your 1st Amendment doesn't protect you from doing saying that, especially if you ask the judges here in CA.You won't have any problem with ammo in hard cases. As a reloader I have very few factory boxes. I fly a few times each year with my ammo in my checked luggage in a hard plastic case. Never had anyone look twice at it.

#10 squirrelduster

squirrelduster

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

Your 1st Amendment doesn't protect you from doing saying that, especially if you ask the judges here in CA.You won't have any problem with ammo in hard cases. As a reloader I have very few factory boxes. I fly a few times each year with my ammo in my checked luggage in a hard plastic case. Never had anyone look twice at it.

I fly a couple of times a year with my rifle and have never had any trouble.Biggest thing is a real good hard case for your firearm. I prefer an aluminum unit. Mine has dents so I know they are really careful when they handle it. I use an plastic 20 round box for my ammo and put it in the case with the rifle.I fly out of SFO and Sacramento and have noticed that Sacramento is more tolerant of guns. I have flown on US air, United and Northwest and not had any problems.

#11 sertshark

sertshark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

Yes make sure you tell them. I packed my knife away in my checked baggage one time (as I always do). This was right after Dulles Airport just reopened after 9-11 (I think it was the last Airport to reoopen). The security was crazy for Dulles because you fly right passed the pentagon. The waiting area for Dulles was even separated by temporary walls from all the other waiting areas. EVERYONE had to empty their carryons, not just random people. When we were checking in, they asked if I had anything. I said "Yes, I have a knife" thinking she meant in my checked baggage. Both agents next to her turned to me and said "You have a knife?!" And I was trying to tell them "No, no, no. In my BAGGAGE." They were like "In your BAGGAGE?!!!" And they kept interrupting me and talking over each other saying "Sir, you cannot have a knife", and "Where is the BAGGAGE?!!" and etc. Finally they stopped talking long enough for me to tell them I misunderstood. I thought for a second I was gonna end up naked in some back room with a bright light on me. Actually, that sounds like a good time now that I think about it. :signbummer8tl: "No sir, I have no weapons here."

#12 sdaly

sdaly

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:01 AM

I've flown many times with pistols, rifles, and shotguns. Never had a problem with any of them. Just check the particular airline's policies. You go to the check-in counter, declare your guns, then they have to ask you to open the case so they can inspect it. This is where it get fun. You flip open the case for them to inspect and the airline clerk stares at it with an uneasy look to "inspect" it (never had them actually pick it up or check that it's unloaded--I think they're afraid to touch it or even be near it), then they toss in some sort of inspection card on top of your gun and then they ask you to lock up the case. Meanwhile everyone else in line has an uneasy look on their faces too because they all saw the guns too. Then you either put the locked gun case in your checked luggage (for small pistol cases) or they ask you to go stand in another TSA security line for long gun cases and you check it just like any other luggage.A funny encounter I had one time, as I'm standing in the check-in line with 2 hard-side long-gun cases in my hands and a woman in line in front of me, with her son of maybe 8 years old, she turns to me and says, "Oh, guitar cases, are you a musician?" I just smiled and said, "No, these are just my four shotguns." Her eyes bugged out and she just said, "Oh." Then she turned around and never looked at me again.

#13 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:02 PM

Get to the counter a little early. On my trip to Africa the United ticket agent had no idea how to check in rifles. I printed out all their baggage regulations and showed them to her as it made it easier for her to find them in her computer. The guns must be in a lockable hard case and ammunition must be in a lockable case also. You are allowed 11 Lbs (5 kilos) of ammunition and they must be in fiber, plastic or metal packaging that holds the cartridges seperately (like a factory box). I bought a small metal cash box and locked my ammunition in it inside my suitcase. When you check the guncase they are supposed to ask you if the guns are unloaded and they may ask you to show them that there at the counter. They will give you a red tag that says "unloaded firearms" on it. You put it inside your guncase. Do not allow them to hang the tag on the outside of the guncase as that's a violation of federal regulations. They will then direct you to take your gun to TSA where they will take it behind the screen and inspect it. You are not allowed back there. They will ask you for the key to lock the case. Make sure that you get the key back afterwards, do not let them keep a key to the case as federal regulations require you to have the only key.Carry at least two keys for your case. One in your pocket and one in your carry on bag. In Boise you will probably have to pick your guncase up from the special handling section of baggage claim as they usuually don't put them on the carousel.

#14 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

End of January I'm flying to Bosie Idaho to hunt. I'll be flying South West.I've checked their web page about their policy.Just interested in some personal experiences ?

My Buddy (Also a CPC member) I'm visiting . We were planning on a couple all day hunting trips at his new place in Oregon. Well he has since been in a serious car wreck ,driving at high speed and hit "Black Ice" He rolled his truck(just bought it) several times,(totaled it) some how he managed to pull him self out. He broke several ribs,collapsed his lung and broke his pelvis in 6 places.I'm devastated this is my life time hunting partner we've been friends since we were 8 years old. He bought a hunters mansion in Oregon High desert 45+ acres mentioned he could shoot any firearm out his front or back yard at any time........... With those kind of injuries does any CPC member have a clue of recovery time? He lives by himself? His name is Tim can this post be a prayer request for a wounded CPC member?

#15 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:43 PM

What is his screen name on here?

#16 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

What is his screen name on here?

We have a Colt 45 and I think he is from down south. My buddy handle is similar to that? Maybe 45 colt. He rarely used this service.

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

Could it be .45 COLT?

#18 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

Could it be .45 COLT?

John it probably is him. I know his system is AOL and I think you had to do some thing special or give him special instructions.I'm devastated,and my buddy has been humbled.

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:53 PM

That's him then Larry. Sorry to hear about his accident.

#20 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

That's him then Larry. Sorry to hear about his accident.

Thanks John . It could and can happen to us. "All eyes upon safety"

#21 hydehunter

hydehunter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:hunting and shooting

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:36 AM

4of us flew to Wash. a few years ago for a match and when we opened our gun cases a woman behind us yelled they have guns and are going to kill us what a idiot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users