#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:55 AM

I have not posted much about this rifle,so thought I'd share my experiences and a few pics...This was my second air rifle.My first was the Umarex 850 CO2 .177. I decided after hunting with the CO2 .177, I needed something with more punch mainly for jackrabbits.Posted ImageI had a difficult time at first shooting this Springer accurately...then I learned about how hold sensitive springers were,and practiced with a relaxed hold. I now really enjoy shooting this rifle and interesting is that I shoot it better off hand or hunting in the field than off a bench..!! It really likes the RWS Superdome 14.5 gr pellets. I'm not much of a paper puncher except for sighting in or testing on the chrony, so I think I'm more focused in the field. (???). Longest shot on a rabbit so far is 45 yards...and it was anchored with one shot..I don't use the bi-pod as it was useless in the terrain I hunt. The R( came with the Beeman 4x12x40AO scope and I like the fine crosshairs for holdover at longer ranges.(That just takes practice).Posted ImageIt is really devastating on squirrels. Hit this one from 25 yards,and almost took his head off...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageIn this vid,I was testing my scope mounted camera....you can hear the pellet hit the chain link fence 45 yards away beyond the corrals...Posted ImageI've neglected this rifle in favor of my Disco and tuned 850,so now I'm just going to rotate these rifles hunting for awhile. I use to carry both the 850/Beeman into the field,but when I got the Disco, all that changed...LOL...

#2 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:15 AM

Those photos are making me homesick Crazyhorse. I lived in the San Diego area 60 years and moved up here from 13405 Los Coches Road East in El Cajon in 1998. Spent many great days in them thar hills. I have a piece of junk Gamo .17 cal that I will give to the first grand kid to make the trip up here to see me. I also have a Beeman R9 Goldfinger in .20 cal that I haven't shot much. I'm really getting interested in the Discovery everyone is raving about. I live in the no-lead zone and if things keep going the way they have been air guns my be our only option in the future. :crazy: Woo
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

Nice write up Rich. It's hard to beat the R9 Goldfingers for a walk around hunting springer. They are very accurate after learning to use an artillery hold. It's also hard to beat the fine Rekord triggers they come with. For weight, accuracy and longevity I don't think you can beat these guns. I have two myself one in .177 and .20 caliber. They didn't make a .22 when I purchased mine. But I know if I had to reach for a gun I could trust to get the job done it would be the Beeman R9 Goldfinger. There is something fun about just being able to cock the gun insert pellet and shoot. No pumps or tanks to worry about. Don't get me wrong I like my PCP airguns as well as my old Sheridan. But for the power and accuracy you get from one stroke it just doesn't get any easier.Woo, you should make yourself a silent pellet trap and start shooting yours around the house. It really take a few hundred pellets to work the gun in properly and it is great for keeping your shooting eye in tune. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:08 PM

Those photos are making me homesick Crazyhorse. I lived in the San Diego area 60 years and moved up here from 13405 Los Coches Road East in El Cajon in 1998. Spent many great days in them thar hills. I have a piece of junk Gamo .17 cal that I will give to the first grand kid to make the trip up here to see me. I also have a Beeman R9 Goldfinger in .20 cal that I haven't shot much. I'm really getting interested in the Discovery everyone is raving about. I live in the no-lead zone and if things keep going the way they have been air guns my be our only option in the future. :014: Woo

We live just off Old Hwy 80 in Flinn Springs...not much changed around here since 73'...My R9 is the Double Gold as they did not have a .22 in the GoldFinger whan I got mine..I bought my Disco .22 from MAC 1 with his tune...really great buy...very accurate...get just over 25 full power shots on a 2000 psi fill....have the pump,but getting a tank soon...good idea to put a mil dot scope on if you buy one.....it has range beyond 80 yards...Have a Merry Xmas..!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users