8 replies to this topic

#1 dull

dull

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

I have a cheap Boito Over/Under shotgun. I've heard bad reviews about them but its what I have to work with for the time being. Sometimes it is hard to break open and even have to break it over my knee. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a solution (besides getting a new shotgun). I opened it up and noticed the hammer springs are wound really tight when the hammers are cocked---comrpessed all the way and some snaking in the spring. I was wondering if I took some coils off this would help? Thanks.

#2 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:07 AM

try diffrent shells, like some with brass base, don't mess with the springs, stephen

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:53 PM

take it to a smith.

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

I heard they are tight like that because hot loads will loosen them up over time. It should lose up after a few hundred rounds.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:52 PM

Have you contacted the manufacturers?

#6 Moonclip

Moonclip

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:18 AM

I don't think Boito is in business anymore or is imported to the USA anymore. I don't know if any of the parts from other Brazilian makers are interchangeable ie. the iga/stoeger condor. Many double barrel shotguns when new seem stiff to me.

#7 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

take it to a smith.

Yup.......Some gunsmiths specialize in shotguns. Check at your local trap, skeet or sporting clays facility for a reference.Having to break open a loaded shotgun over your knee is dangerous.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#8 dull

dull

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

I have a cheap Boito Over/Under shotgun. I've heard bad reviews about them but its what I have to work with for the time being. Sometimes it is hard to break open and even have to break it over my knee. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a solution (besides getting a new shotgun). I opened it up and noticed the hammer springs are wound really tight when the hammers are cocked---comrpessed all the way and some snaking in the spring. I was wondering if I took some coils off this would help? Thanks.

A late thanks to you guys....sorted out the problem myself. In case anyone has similar issue: Per advice didn't touch the springs. I noticed drag marks from the firing pins on the primers after breaking open the gun. So what I did was pull em out, clean everything up (all old gunk/grease) and I polished the firing pins with a fine grinding wheel and buffer-----rounded out the tips of the firing pins and polished up the sides some and now they slide by without digging in the primers and it works just fine.

#9 Skyshadow

Skyshadow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

What have you been cleaning with?I had a stubborn safety on a 20 ga. that I have that finally just resolved itself out of the blue when I started using CLP instead of Hoppe's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users