20 replies to this topic

#1 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

I just recieved a shot gun from my brother inlaw that he had cut the barrel on. He was trying to go the cheap route of changing the choke pattern and well killed it. The gun is not a great gun (Revelation 12g pump) but was free to me. The gun still shoots but not for hunting anymore unless I get a new barrel. Here is my question, since the barrel is cut is it illegal or can it be cut down more for a home defence gun and if so, to what in Kalifornia?

#2 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

As long as it's not shorter than 18 inches. If it's 20" that would be better, and don't let that keep you from hunting with it. #4 Buckshot will do just fine when calling at night out of that barrel!

#3 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

Legal length of the barrel is 18" measured from the face of the bolt, with the action cocked. And a minimum overall length of 26".

#4 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:11 AM

I think that the Revelation shotgun was sold by Western Auto and was made by Mossberg if my old memory serves me right. You may be able to buy a Mossberg barrel that would work or send the barrel to someone that can put a screw in choke in it if it is of legal length. Do a search or as a previous poster said just use it for home defense, no need for a choke if it is shooting bad guys coming at you with #4 buck at 15 yards. I think the guns sold new for less than a $100.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#5 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:33 PM

follow up question. Do I need to transfer registration to make it legal? A sheriff friend of mine said no because long rifles have a time frame on registrations. He said they are only registered for two years then it expires and that hand guns are the only ones that are reg. for life. This does not sound right to me, what is the truth?

#6 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

You and your brother-in-law need to do a "Private Party Transfer" with your local dealer.

#7 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

how about this, are these legal in Cali? With it being that short is it any good. P.S. it sounds like the other gun may need to go away, my brother inlaw bought it at a garage sale and no he did not have it registered either. Some times I wonder what he is thinking or do I really want to know what goes through his head.http://serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

#8 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

Not in Cally for the shorty and a ton of paperwork for other states. That shorty is like buying a Machine Gun. I think you can buy a 18.5" barrel for that Revelation/Mossburg for $80. A old long gun that wasn't registered when it was first sold isn't in the system.

#9 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:29 PM

Yea, I think if it were me, I'd just keep that old shotgun. Nobody knows if you just got it or have had it for years and years, and no way to prove it either way.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#10 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:40 PM

Don't bother with the "transfer". Waste of money for a gun that is not registered. Just have fun with it!

#11 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:57 PM

so should I not make a home defence with it? I dont want to get in trouble for shooting someone with it in my own house even if it was a legal kill. If this is not a great gun I dont want to spend the money on it for hunting. I will just get another for that.

#12 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

If it's a legal length, use it for home defense and really close varmints! I take mine when I hunt for close shots and for when walking down the trail.

#13 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Thank You guys for all your help.

#14 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:51 PM

Wondering minds want to know. What is the overall length of the shotgun, and what is the length of the barrel, from the bolt fact to the barrel end?
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#15 OldBlue70

OldBlue70

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:08 PM

46 1/2 inches now had 3/4 inch cut off and it was a 30 inch barrel

#16 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

Yep, no problem, you are way over the legal limit. If you really want a choke, take it to a gunsmith and have the barrel threaded for screw on chokes.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#17 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

i have an old mossberg pump. never been through a dealer,a friend of my dad's gave it to him for money owed and my dad gave it to me a few years later. bottom line don't do paperwork you can walk into any gun store and order a barrel and install it yourself with no tools or have a gunsmith put a choke on it and just use it for what ever you want as long as you're not breaking the law.i wouldn't worry to much about it. you can hunt with it or not up to you. as has been said before don't waste your money for transfer and you'll still be able to hunt with it if you want,that shotgun is probably 20 years old if not more dont worry about it. ;)
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#18 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

They probably just cut the poly-choke off of it, alot of those old guns had one and they wanted to get rid of the ugly thing. It may be cheaper to buy a new barrel $120 or so than to have the old one machined and put in screw-in chokes. JMHO

#19 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,201 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:56 PM

buzzrd is right thats a mossyberg. I bought a new 28' barrel with screw in chokes years ago for 150 and it had a vent rib to.Those poly chokes are ugly.

#20 Sydwaiz

Sydwaiz

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:07 PM

Stick a wooden dowel down the barrel with the action closed. Mark it with a pen then meausure it. If it's over 18" you are good to go. It should only cost about $125 to have it threaded and that includes chokes. I sent my vent rib 870 barrel out and had it shortened, new bead installed and shipped back with 3 new chokes for $125. Sure, it's more than the gun is worth but atleast you'll be able to use it for a variety of things.

#21 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

how about this, are these legal in Cali? With it being that short is it any good. P.S. it sounds like the other gun may need to go away, my brother inlaw bought it at a garage sale and no he did not have it registered either. Some times I wonder what he is thinking or do I really want to know what goes through his head.http://serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

I believe those can be legal, if you create a trust and do some other paperwork. It is technically an AOW (any-other-weapon) and not a short barrelled shotgun. I don't think you really want to do all that though, especially if you want to use it for home-defense. Can you imagine the headlines on that? "Man kills innocent intruder with super-short puppy & Kindergartener killing shotgun!"Also, I hate to be a stickler here guys, but unless that shotgun is 50 years old, you are advocating for him to break the law by not doing a face to face private party transfer. Unless of course, the brother in law gave it to the OP's sister, who then gave it to her parent, who then in turn gave it to the OP. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users