• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:12 AM

I just picked up my first new center fire rifle since 1975 (Howa .243, green Hogue, 24" ssbb) and need to put a scope on it. Looks like I'll be going with a Swift 4-12x40 with some Leupold 2 piece mounts and rings. The Leupold website and a few other sites have listings for which mount to order to fit the Howa. What I can't figure out is what height rings to order.Would it be safe to just use a recomendation from the Leupold site for any 1" tube 40mm objective scope when selecting ring height?

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:43 AM

Medium rings usually fit the 40-42mm scopes.

#3 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I spent some more time surfing and finally ordered the Swift 4-12x40 with some Leupold 2 piece mounts and medium heighth rings. There are certain advantages to purchasing your own Christmas presents ;)

#4 1895

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

Microtus, If you have some modeling clay and a dial caliper you can find the height needed. Roll the modeling clay into two small balls and place on the top of the action over the tapped holes for your base. Set the scope on top of the two balls of modeling clay, keep level and push down until your objective end of the scope is just above contact with the barrel. Remove the scope and two balls of modeling clay and measure the thickness of the clay between the scope and reciever with your caliper. You now know the minium height you need. Keep the scope level with the action so you get a accurate minimum measurement. Best wishes.

#5 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:48 PM

Interesting idea thanks. I already ordered the scope/mount and rings which should be here on the 30th. If the scope rides a little too high I can always order a shorter set and go from there. I've got a trip planned for the Mendocino NF a few days later but it's going to have to be #4 buck until I find some range time.Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow :pirashoot:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users