• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bwana

bwana

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:I like to hunt, shoot, reload, backpack, ski, and just about anything else you can do in the mountains. I also like sailing and other ocean sports.

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:39 PM

I just made a batch of this and thought I'd share it. Good eatin'!Junior's Good Eatin' Texas Elk ChiliSMHMakes 10 servings. Prep Time: 25 minutes3 pounds Elk Burger1 large white onions, chopped 3 large jalapeno, minced5 cloves garlic, minced5 whole New Mexico green chiles, roasted6 tablespoons chili powder1 tablespoon cumin, ground2 teaspoons mexican oregano2 teaspoons salt1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped12 oz beer2 ounces tequila3 whole chipotle pepper in adobe sauce, in adobo sauce5 cups beef stock1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved1/4 cup cilantro, chopped, for garnish1/4 cup white onions, minced, for garnish1/2 cup sour cream, for garnishPre-heat a large heavy pot (such as a cast iron Dutch Oven) over high heat. Add the meat and sear, stirring, until no longer pink.Lower the heat to medium-high. Add the onions, jalapenos, garlic, chiles, and chili powder, and cook, stirring constantly, until theonions are wilted and start to color, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 20seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the beer and tequila and cook, stirring to deglaze the pan. Add thechipotles and adobo sauce and 4 cups of the stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer partially covered, stirringoccasionally, until the meat is very tender, 2 to 3 hours, adding the remaining cup of stock as needed if the chili becomes too dry orthick. When the meat is tender and the chili is ready, add the cornstarch here, 1 teaspoon at a time, tothicken to the desired consistency, stirring well and cooking after the additon of each before adding more.Remove from the heat and correct the seasoning, to taste. Skim any fat from the surface.Ladle into bowls and garnish each with cilantro, chopped onions, and a dollop of sour cream. Serve with hot cornbread.Elk burger or a combination of Elk Burger with Elk Sausage (Italian, Breakfast, or both) yields excellent results.Original recipe calls for 1/4 cup to 6 tablespoons masa harina instead of cornstarchI often use a mix of fresh Jalapeno's and Serranos for a slightly different flavor.Canned roasted green chilies work well as substitute for freshCanned tomatoes work well as substitute for freshThis is a spicy chili. If you want to dial the heat back, reduce the amounts of Adobo Chiles, Jalapeno's/Serrano's, and Chili Powderused and season it to your taste.Soups, Stews & Gumbos, Game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users