• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carspidey

carspidey

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:just got interested in air rifle shooting (rifles were always an interest to me though)...

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

Hello everybody... I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a quick question...I am in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California...I am not into hunting yet (scares my wife... :D), for now i just bought an air rifle to practice target shooting...The rifle i bought is a Gamo Big Cat 1200... what do you guys think about it? What can I really do with it...? It is not an expensive rifle (my first), i bought it for $130.00... I've been reading some posts... and now I am interested in the Air Arms tx200 (outside of my price range)...What really is the difference between this gun and the one I got... I mean, is it a lot more accurate?I guess I had more than one question...And by the way... who else in this forum in from the SFV???THanks for you help!!!

#2 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:01 AM

Welcome to the forum..!! I'm not familiar with Gamo except they use a very light weight pellet to establish advertised velocities..(5 gr,or near that)...but while breaking it in, try different pellets as some pellets work better than others depending on the air rifle for accuracy.....I would suggest Crosman Lights Domes (7.9 GR) to start with...most spring guns are "hold sensitive" so don't grip forestock...just rest it in your hand....and follow thru each shot...hold sight picture until pellet hits target...You can take cottontails/squirrels out to 35 yards using either 7.9 gr or 10.2 gr pellets....Good luck and good shooting...Beeman R9 DG .22 calDiscovery .22 PCP (MAC 1 tuned)Umarex 850 Magnum .177 (Roald tuned)Umarex 850 Magnum .177 (factory stock)

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:41 AM

carspidey,Welcome to CPC! Congrats on taking the first step to a lifetime hobby of outdoor activity. The link below will take you to a Pellet Sampler that would be a fairly cheap way to obtain a selection of pellets to try in your new Gamo. I assume that it is a .177 caliber. The Internet is a great place to find information on your new hobby. The link to Straight Shooters is also interesting. They have done a lot of independent testing and have it posted on their catalog site. Also of interest is the Pellet Sampler that they assemble for the convenience of people testing a new gun.RWS Pellet SamplerStraight ShootersGood luck with the Gamo and keep us posted on your progress.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#4 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

I have a very similar gamo gun .It's the varmint hunter it is a very nice shooter don't oil anything on the gun it dosn't need it and it will destroy your seals .I have run many pellets through it rws meisterkugeln wad cutter http://www.airgundep...sterkugeln.html are deadly accurate till 40 yrd's enough to take tree rats and rabbitts with head shots great for rats and pest birds . Small groups at 30 yards on targets off a rest after you break it in about 1000 shots send it for a tune to Rich- http://home.comcast....agin/index.html you may never shoot another gun :D the diffrence after the tune is well worth the 60 or so dollors he is a talented gamo man, enjoy it its a great starting point. Shoot safe and often chris

#5 carspidey

carspidey

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:just got interested in air rifle shooting (rifles were always an interest to me though)...

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

Thanks all for your input... It is really appreciated...Just a few more questions... do you think it is worth it to tune a 130 dollar rifle? Will I notice the difference on my rifle (gamo big cat .177) after tuning? Or should I save some money and get me a better one?Like I said, I have shot my rifle twice so far (about 50 to 60 pellets each time)... Twice i was able to get 1/2" groups from a rest I built out of a paper box and a blanket at 14 yards... I used Gamo Match .177 pellets, and at this distance the pellet went through an inch thick plywood...So far, I am really enjoying the shooting... it is fun... maybe the more i shoot the rifle, the more i'll understand why it needs tuning or why i would need a better gun...One more thing... if I want something that shoots accurately at 100 to 300 yards, is this when I need to start thinking about buying a real rifle (like a riffle that shoots bullets)?Thanks again for your input...

#6 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:27 PM

Welcome to the group.. :) For 100 to 300 yards Id get a 223.. Up in Rocklin at the SPortsman Warehouse they are under 300.00 and are great for when you want to jump up to a rifle.. Bullets are cheap, can be bought in bulk, and they are accurate :)
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users