• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

Well, ordered and received two SCBA tanks. One of the tanks is an 88 CF and the other is a 66 CF. Also got the adapter hose and fittings to fill the gun. Took the tanks over to the local fire extinguisher company and they were happy to fill them while I waited. Seems they fill tanks for the paintball crowd also. The fill was $9.50 for the large tank and $7.50 for the small tank. After I get that batch of Korean pellets on Friday, I am done, done, done buying stuff to support the air gun addiction for the rest of the year. B) The guy at the fire extinguisher company verified that the tanks were dated as the guy at Joe's Air Tanks represented them and were in good condition. Have to find some O-rings for the filler probe. I got careless and nicked the O-rings now I can't pump it fast enough to get ahead of the leak around the probe.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#2 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Airguns, Inventing and Fishing

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

:signs1180lq: This is me when I say I'm not going to spend any money for a while on airguns!It has been my experience that the o-rings get nicked often and you should get some extras to keep with you. I just ordered some and it took about 1 month to get them from Pyr/Air. Back ordered forever. In fact I'm still waiting but they are on the way. I'm talking about the air probes that have the two o-rings like the Koren guns use.Good luck and thanks for the laugh about not spending money. :signs1180lq:
If you kill it eat it!

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

I put a little silicone grease on those o rings it sure makes them less likely to get damaged.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

I use the silicon grease but they seem to get blowed out after a day of shooting. I'm talking about 20 fills maybe 30. I try to be very careful but it still happens. I think I will play with different o-rings to see if I can get a better one then what they come with or what I can buy at present. They make some pretty good o-ring material now days. I will post up if I find anything better.
If you kill it eat it!

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

Thanks that would be a great help. Have you tried getting o rings from Mac1?

Time waits for no one--

#6 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:09 PM

No I haven't and that's a good idea. Tim will probably know if some are available or not. I try not to over lube either. Maybe I'm not putting enough on. I just like to make it wet looking without build up. What da you think? I fill pretty slow but maybe a bit quicker then I should. The compression chamber doesn't get warm so I'm doing it kind of slow. Some say slower the better and that might be most of my problem. I have to do more shooting to find out. LOL It's raining here so I'll shoot inside.
If you kill it eat it!

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:17 PM

You don't want to get it to warm filling it you might want to slow it down a bit more. When filling a PCP airgun, fill the airgun slowly, no more than 100 psi per second. If you fill too fast, the reservoir will heat up from the pressurized air, which isn't especially good for the seals in your airgun. Make sure you use quality fitting. Many folks erroneously use 4-ball quick release fittings, and you need 6-ball fittings that are rated for the pressures you are dealing with. Once the desired fill pressure is achieved, close the pressure valve and bleed off the excess air in the hose by opening the bleed-off valve. This will release the excess air still trapped in the hose, allowing you to remove the probe from the gun without damaging it. Only fill your airgun to the manufacturer's suggested limit. The valve in your airgun is made to work at that optimum pressure.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users