#1 Nitro

Nitro

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:rifles, shotguns, shooting

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:17 PM

I have used several sizes of shot and various shotguns and I now use 1 1/4 oz (by weight) of #2 lead shot in a short (21 inch) true cylinder barrel. If the range is longer than 20 yards a full choked gun will work on skunks for up to 70 yards. The only problem I have is to find a decent reload recipe. Most of the loading data is for smaller shot and 1 1/4 oz of #2 takes up the same volume as a 1 3/8 load of 7 1/2.I am using a Blue Magic hull with 4756 and a WAA12R wad and it works ok but I am still searching for the ideal load. I have also used HS6 and a SP12 but the load I was using wasn't listed anywhere so I discontiued using it.1 1/4 oz of #2 shot will kill a skunk like right now, works on racoons too. Bigger shot suffers from too few pellets if the range increases and lighter shot runs out of energy too soon. Please note #2 shot is not kind to anything in it's way, either vermin or buildings, so aim carefully.Also; any true cylinder barrel shorter than 21 inches scatters too much for varmit work.

#2 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:09 PM

skunks, cats, or even dogs 20 gage, full choke, 28 inch barrel, high base bird shot. It works for me.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

I only need one pellet to kill skunks. :signs684mh: Posted ImageWell sometimes two pellets. :D Posted Image

#4 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

SJ you left out what it takes you to get clean after :signs684mh:

#5 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:13 PM

about 32 grains of 4756 is a good load, I use 27 grins of 800x, with 1 1/4 oz, if you have to leave a few of them #2's out to get a good crimp the skunks won't never tell!! :good: stephen

#6 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

I love it. :good: :good: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users