8 replies to this topic

#1 howah

howah

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

Have anyone tried the new Leupold STD Long Range base 1pc. that comes in 20 moa. Ive been wanting to get a moa base but not sure if i really need it cause its a 308 winchester and its used for big game hunting which i limit shooting distance to 600 yard if conditions are met. my scope have elevation up to 500 yard only with the current setup. Howa hogue sporter 22" 308, weaver base, warne low rings, nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 mildot, rifle cant device.

#2 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

If you're a clicker like me, then it's a plus. Is it a Picatinny style base? I'm not familiar with it. I have one of their 20MOA MK-4 base on my 308 and it's good stuff.

#3 howah

howah

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:32 PM

its a standard dove tail base with 20moa built in like the pic attach. i also like clicking mines too.

#4 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

What's the price on that thing. I prefered Picatinny style over the conventional one. They're pricey but more robust and bullet proof when you married it with Tactical rings.

#5 howah

howah

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:36 PM

i think it runs $22.99 dollar plus you have to get the rings that is 24.99 which i a an extra set. egw 20 moa base for my rifle price for 39.99I guess i'll get a egw when the time comes. What do you guys think of the weaver v24 for long range hunting.

#6 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

Get the EGW, then buy the Burris Tactical ring.Weaver V24 is an excellent scope!. I use to own the V16 and it's a great scope for the money. The tracking is very accurate. My only complaint is the lack of eye relief. For your 308 though, it will be perfect.

#7 howah

howah

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

i am getting second thoughts on my warne vertical rings......honestly, i fell the my nikon isn't tracking right too. i dialed in for a buck lasered at 380yrds which was a heart shot when examine, return it to zero, the next day i shot this 4x3 blacktail at 200yrds 7 times before it left into the thicker cover. the deer wasn't dead yet. it took a 9mm to the neck to end it. back home i went to the range with the same batch of reload and it made a nice .75 3 shot group but was low 2". so at 200yrds it be around 10" i guess. after each shot i kept placing the crosshair higher. i've hit the deer 3 times but way low out of the kill zone. i need something with high power but also has lots of internal adjustment also considering horizontal rings.

#8 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

What model Nikon is this? Have you verified your scopes clicks? Is it in inches or MOA! Manufacturers usually specified this on the manual that came with the scope. You still have to verified it in the field though. One way to find out is to perform box test. Here's how I do it. I have these posted a while back.http://www.californi...?showtopic=4887

#9 howah

howah

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:09 PM

i previous had a burris ff2 on it that track pretty well but it didnt have a tactical knob on it. ill try that method out. the scope on the rifle right now is a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 mildot , the knobs give out moa readings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users