39 replies to this topic

#1 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

I have a fanny pack, IWB holster, and shoulder holster. Normal carry is a S&W SW40VE or a Sig P220. For summer time, how do you guys carry? Concealment shirt, bellyband, what? For work a lot of times I have to wear a polo shirt with dockers pants, or even in summer time it is t-shirt and jeans. What do you guys do to carry concealed? Looking for recommended products and possibly even links. Fanny pack is not my ideal way to carry, would prefer an alternative.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

What about a pocket holster for your 38?Or there is always the cell pal. Never used it but it looks like a good option.

#3 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

My pocket holster for my SW638 is from Robert Mika http://www.frontiern...akim/pocket.htm for <$20Posted ImageI like most handgun owners have more holsters than guns! Just gotta keep trying to find one that fits the best. Course I am not allowed to carry CCW here, but can with my Nev CCW in several other states.
John in Tulare, Ca

#4 308fan

308fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, bbq.

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

Strong side hip. Ues a quality leather holster.
You can carry a concealed weapon in 28 states with the Utah non-resident firearms permit. Ask me how. I teach the class.NRA Certified Basic Pistol InstructorNRA Certified Range Safety OfficerUtah Certified Concealed Firearms InstructorEmail me at..... vande250@gmail.com

#5 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

I haven't started yet, but my plan is to use a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/It is supposed to be one of THE most comfortable IWB holsters and allows you tuck your shirt in if needed. During the HOT summer months here, unless I am at work, I wear shorts and T-shirts. I plan to use the Supertuck then as well. If it peoves to be too much at times, I may just go get a Kahr PM9 and pocket holster. :drinks:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#6 DocAmentler

DocAmentler

Plinker

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

90% of the time I carry in an IWB holster. It gives me the best concealment and is reasonably comfortable. I carry in either a TT Gunleather reinforced mouth IWB holster. Tim does GREAT work. His holsters are comparable to Milt Sparks VMII but the turn around time is FAR quicker. Two months to get a holster from TT Gunleather rather than 6-12 months from Milt Sparks.

#7 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:02 PM

This is my buddy that teaches the class. He lives near Sacremento in Anelope, Ca gives a great CCW class. Welcome home buddy. He just got back from Iraq. :good:

#8 308fan

308fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, bbq.

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:50 PM

Look at comp-tac and Milt Sparks. Milt Sparks is hands down the best.308fan
You can carry a concealed weapon in 28 states with the Utah non-resident firearms permit. Ask me how. I teach the class.NRA Certified Basic Pistol InstructorNRA Certified Range Safety OfficerUtah Certified Concealed Firearms InstructorEmail me at..... vande250@gmail.com

#9 Flaccid Barrel

Flaccid Barrel

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:18 PM

+1 on the Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Very comfortable and you almost forget that you have it on. I had to wait quite a bit to get it , I think that it was at least 3 months. Exactly how long the guy I placed the order said it would be; no more no less. Excellent craftsmanship. But a bit pricey relative to other options.By the way, D-Man, I thought I read on another thread here that you didn't have a CA CCW. Did something change for the better? (you don't have to answer that :D ) I just know that CA is a bit tougher than most states to get a CCW permit. Although, I guess while hunting or fishing for that matter the regs / law allows one to carry concealed.

#10 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:29 AM

Although, I guess while hunting or fishing for that matter the regs / law allows one to carry concealed.

I've heard that concealed carry was legal in Ca while fishing or in transport to or from fishing. I haven't heard anything until now regarding concealed carry while hunting. Anybody know a definitive answer on this?I use a cheapo belt holster for my xd45 while camping (CCW at my temporary place of residence) and carry chamber empty in my waders while fishing. I tried to figure out a retention system for cc using a holster while fishing but had no luck.
Watching the government rape the 4th to pillage the 2nd.

#11 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:13 AM

I do not have a CCW for California. Do have it in Utah and New Hampshire though. Working on getting one here in CA, but I do live in Los Angeles county which makes it almost impossible to get.Yes, you can carry concealed while hunting, and also while fishing if you have a valid CA hunting license in your possession. That is unless you are archery hunting, then it is a big time no-no! Don't forget the proper ammo while hunting in a buzzard zone though!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1

#12 Flaccid Barrel

Flaccid Barrel

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

I've heard that concealed carry was legal in Ca while fishing or in transport to or from fishing. I haven't heard anything until now regarding concealed carry while hunting. Anybody know a definitive answer on this

California penal code:12025. (a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm whenhe or she does any of the following...12027. Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of thefollowing... (g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, orother firearms capable of being concealed upon the person whileengaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearmsunloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishingexpedition.** I recommend verifying for yourself just to be safe or consulting legal expertise (eg. CA DOJ, attorney etc.) if there is any doubt.

I do not have a CCW for California. Do have it in Utah and New Hampshire though. Working on getting one here in CA, but I do live in Los Angeles county which makes it almost impossible to get.

D-manLA county is one of the toughest counties in the state to obtain a CCW statistically speaking. I commend you on exercising your Constitutional right and wish you success. I've been thinking about the Utah permit myself but I hardly go out of state and don't know if it is worthwhile for me. Just glad that it affords the bearer a fairly broad range of states where one can carry.

#13 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

California penal code:12025. (a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm whenhe or she does any of the following...12027. Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of thefollowing... (g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, orother firearms capable of being concealed upon the person whileengaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearmsunloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishingexpedition.** I recommend verifying for yourself just to be safe or consulting legal expertise (eg. CA DOJ, attorney etc.) if there is any doubt.D-manLA county is one of the toughest counties in the state to obtain a CCW statistically speaking. I commend you on exercising your Constitutional right and wish you success. I've been thinking about the Utah permit myself but I hardly go out of state and don't know if it is worthwhile for me. Just glad that it affords the bearer a fairly broad range of states where one can carry.

I do have a small chance as my local PD issues CCWs here instead of having to go to the LASD to get one. Have to have all my ducks in a row before I apply though.Darren

#14 sertshark

sertshark

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

Summer: 38 S&W 442 Airweight with Nemesis Pocket Holster (great for shorts)Winter: Glock 23 with Glock holster. Bought the Serpa, but it's hard to remember the retention since I've drawn a handgun about a million times without that type of pushbutton retention. I am considering the Gould & Goodrich concealment holster. The retention is a release that's in the area I am used to releasing retentions devices. It's new and pretty nice.

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

http://www.comp-tac.com/

#16 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:11 AM

My JMG Holster just arrived yesterday. It is the tuckable model with the sweat liner (IWB 7.0). Very good fit and finish for my Sig P220 (and also fits my S&W SW40VE as well). There is going to be a bit of a break in period as the leather is still stiff. However, for the price point it is a great holster. There was another member of the board that recommended the site and I agree with them on that holster!http://www.jmgholsters.com/Darren

#17 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:13 AM

Can you post some pics Darren? Of the holster itself as well as how concealed it is when worn.I just ordered my Crossbreed Supertuck this weekend (ouch $85) but I might try these guys later if I don't like the Supertuck.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#18 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

If you want real concealment, get the belly band as I can carry my full size .40 S&W in that without anyone knowing I have it. This works pretty good, but you can still pick up a bit of the gun handle because of where it sits. Working on moving it around to decide between appendix carry, small of the back, or strong side hip. Will post some pictures later on once I take some. On the belly band, I was skeptical at first, but really love it, and it is very comfortable to carry with. Your Taurus compact .45 would work great in that, and you can carry a spare mag without anyone knowing it.Darren

#19 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:51 PM

I don't know about those belly bands. My belly is big enough as it is. :lol: My CCW instructor had a belly band that she used but she was petite with a flat stomach. She had her PM9 right up front and no one knew. I think a standard IWB should work fine for me and I am hoping the Supertuck is as nice everyone say's. The good thing is it comes with a two week trial period as well as a lifetime warranty. :lol:

#20 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

Can I ask just a general question? I'm not trying to stir controversy or anything - what makes a person want to have a CCW in general? I know this is probably a personal preference question, more than anything else, but I just wanted to ask ---
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#21 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

Can I ask just a general question? I'm not trying to stir controversy or anything - what makes a person want to have a CCW in general? I know this is probably a personal preference question, more than anything else, but I just wanted to ask ---

Stuff like this ...

To the Guy Who Mugged Me Downtown (Downtown, Savannah) Reply to: pers-982078099@ craigslist. org Date: 2009-01-06, 3:43AM EST I was the white guy with the black Burrberry jacket that you demanded I hand over shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend. You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings. I hope you somehow come across this message. I'd like to apologize. I didn't expect you to dog poop your pants when I drew my pistol after you took my jacket. Truth is, I was wearing the jacket for a reason that evening, and it wasn't that cold outside. You see, my girlfriend had just bought me that Kimber 1911 .45 ACP pistol for Christmas, and we had just picked up a shoulder holster for it that evening. Beautiful pistol, eh? It's a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head, isn't it? I know it probably wasn't a great deal of fun walking back to wherever you'd come from with that brown sludge flopping about in your pants. I'm sure it was even worse since you also ended up leaving your shoes, cellphone, and wallet with me. I couldn't have you calling up any of your buddies to come help you try to mug us again. I took the liberty of calling your mother, or "Momma" as you had her listed in your cell, and explaining to her your situation. I also bought myself some gas on your card. I gave your shoes to one of the homeless guys over by Vinnie Van Go Go's, along with all of the cash in your wallet, then I threw the wallet itself in a dumpster. I called a bunch of phone sex numbers from your cell. They'll be on your bill in case you'd like to know which ones. Alltel recently shut down the line, and I've only had the phone for a little over a day now, so I don't know what's going on with that. I hope they haven't permanently cut off your service. I was about to make some threatening phone calls to the DA's office with it. Oh well. So, about your pants. I know that I was a little rough on you when you did this whole attempted mugging thing, so I'd like to make it up to you. I'm sure you've already washed your pants, so I'd like to help you out. I'd like to reimburse you for the detergent you used on the pants. What brand did you use, and was it liquid or powder? I'd also like to apologize for not killing you and instead making you walk back home humiliated. I'm hoping that you'll reconsider your choice of path in life. Next time you might not be so lucky. If you read this message, email me and we'll do lunch and laundry. Peace! - Alex

#22 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:56 PM

LOL Heath...ok, I get that, and I have my own reasons for wanting a CCW, but was just checking for other people's experiences on this Board of what may be driving them towards the decision or made the decision. Over my 35+ years of hunting/fishing, I've come across maybe 2 bad incidents where it could've have gotten really bad and wish I was armed a bit differently if it came down to it - but the matter dissolved and realized it may have made the situation worse. However, I also understand that world is not getting much better, and with the economy the way it is, the worst in people will emerge, so for me personally I'm struggling with it a bit.

#23 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

It is a tool, that without a CCW is not available to you. You make the choice to pull the weapon or not, in whatever situation you are in. But without it as a choice, you have far fewer choices. Just a side note, some family friends of ours live right next door to the house in Covina where the Christmas Eve massacre happened. Spent last night with them just helping them try to recover from the shock of what went on, as well as all of their neighbors. If one person had been carrying, a lot fewer then 9 people would be dead right now.Also, below are a couple of pictures of my new holster. JMG Holsters has one other holster that has a 15 degree cant with the clip offset, but it isn't tuckable. If he offered that, it would be the perfect IWB holster IMHO.Darren

Attached Files

#24 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

D-Man..sorry to hear and that is a very good example of why. I think it hit it on the head ..giving you "the choice"..thanks. Always like hearing what people of this board have to say - it's a great community of people on this board.

#25 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:10 PM

Virginia Tech would have been a different story if a few of those students were packing ...

#26 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

John, please remove this link if you feel it's inappropriate to post on this board, but did find this .org for people like me having questions (again, I don't have experience with this .org - if it's a good place to go for research )http://californiaccw.org/

#27 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

There was a holster made in the early 90's that was nothing more then a leather pouch sort of like a leather pocket protector. it was fairly universal as long as you got a size that was big enough for your hand gun. it was ambidextrous and you could use it on the sides. infront like a belly band or in the small of your back. It was very comfortable cheap and durable. the bigest disadvantage was next to no retention at all. can't for the life of me remember what it was called. again it was an inside the waistband holster that was built like a leather pocket protector. and cliped onto your waist band or belt.
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

#28 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

I wouldn't post my Good Cause specifics on a forum, but here is why I think CCW is a NEED:Basically to me it is insurance or a safety device. You can look at it just like car insurance, homeowners insurance etc. I have NEVER (knocking on wood) had a claim against my car or homeowners insurance. But, in the event I do NEED them, it could be horrible and devastating if I didn't have them.Being a safety device also fits. Having a fire extinguisher in your home or car is just good preparedness. Again, I have NEVER (knocking on wood again) had to use my fire extinguishers but in a time of need, you will be glad they are available.I can't imagine being in that rare situation where you NEED a CCW to save your own life or that of your loved ones. I would hate to have something happen and KNOW that I didn't put forward the effort (it is a long tedious process to get your CCW) to do all I can to survive or protect my loved ones.One last thing about that website you linked. I think the largest and best website for California CCW is www.calccw.comI frequent it often and the guys there are VERY informative and educated on all things CCW pertaining to our state.

#29 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for that other link. I've been searching the County and City sites for CCW process and am still trying to find the answers

#30 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

What county and city do you live in? Will be happy to help you find out the process for your area.Also, been doing holster research. Does anyone use the Galco Skyops holster? Galco has been building great holsters for years, and that looks like just the ticket for me. Curious to hear others thoughts on it.Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users