15 replies to this topic

#1 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:26 AM

Where do I go when I need advise? CPC of course! Seems you guys always have a wealth of knowledge to share. So here is the deal; I need to get a Christmas present for my father-in-law. He mentioned to my wife that he would like a couple good flashlights. He wants smaller ones, to keep in his truck. (one for him and one for his wife) He lives way out in the boonies of Montana so he can hit odd weather while driving as well as power outages, etc. I don't want to spend too much on him. :roflmao3[1]: I'd like to keep the total around $50 for both flashlights. I guess if we need to spend more we could get one of the other kids to go in with us. That would bump the budget to $100 for both. So what are your thoughts gentlemen?

#2 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

I found these: http://www.cabelas.c...=0041169517765aPrice is right- not sure about these thoughhttp://www.cabelas.c...e...&id=0021019The small one is too cheap to go in with another family member but the larger one is too much!

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:57 AM

What about a nice LED headlamp? http://www.rei.com/s...&...&button.y=0The light lasts long and if your out in the snow you can have the convenience of a head lamp to take care of other chores.

#4 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:05 AM

I found these: http://www.cabelas.c...=0041169517765aPrice is right- not sure about these thoughhttp://www.cabelas.c...e...&id=0021019The small one is too cheap to go in with another family member but the larger one is too much!

I have 3 G2's :lol: but understand the battery life is way short. They're designed more for tactical use, short on/off cycles. They can get warm too. I get the sense you just looking for general use / throw it in the truck type light. "C" size maglight might fit the bill. in my truck I just tossed in a hand powered light like the type you crank or grip to charge the capacitor. I find that I don't use a flashlight enough in a vehicle to put one in there with batteries as when I need it, it's always dead. :lol: Here's a crude site that might be helpful. (it only works w/ IE)

#5 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

If they are just emergency flashlights then you really don't need anything fancy. I'd aim for battery life over brightness... The AA sized LED Maglites are cheap, reliable, and have good battery life. I also use a Garrity LED model K009 that runs on 3 AAA batteries (the lithium Energizers I installed last deer season are still going strong) and I've been VERY happy with it.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#6 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:23 AM

I've got 2 LED flashlights and love them. One is brighter than the other though. Make sure you get one with lots of Lumens. Lumens is a legitimate measure unlike candlepower which can be subjective.

#7 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:34 AM

http://www.costco.co...?...topnav=&s=1What about these? Seems like a nice set. It is a bit more than I wanted to spend on the old fart but I can deal with it. (shipping is included in the price) He is all show and no go. I have small maglites in my trucks. They are all you need. (I have a larger one too) But he wants something cool. ($$$- he isn't paying for it!)

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,482 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

Jeff, you could always get the old fart a lump of coal and a candle. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

http://www.costco.co...?...topnav=&s=1What about these? Seems like a nice set. It is a bit more than I wanted to spend on the old fart but I can deal with it. (shipping is included in the price) He is all show and no go. I have small maglites in my trucks. They are all you need. (I have a larger one too) But he wants something cool. ($$$- he isn't paying for it!)

Those look pretty good. I have some Cyclops tacticool ones i picked up at Costco a couple years ago for like $20 (they use c123 batteries and don't last long and get HOT). All the ones that us the C123 batteries are for tactical use and not long duration or emergency use. I too prefer maglites (I keep a 4D in my Jeep and a 3C by my bed). You can get the maglites with LED lights in them now and they are better, but still use regular batteries. Maybe you could get him like a bunch of the LED Maglites in different sizes. Sometimes people just don't know any better and you have to show them. :lol: Plus it's a Christmas present, YOU get to choose what he gets. :lol:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#10 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:12 PM

There was a product review of the one LED flashlights that Sam's Club sells along with a few other brands. The Sams Club one was a piece of junk and the battery holder broke easilly making the flashlight useless. The article was written by Dennis Beaver who is an attorney in Bakersfield. He writes a column called You and the Law about legal questions but occassionally tests products and writes about them. I believe one of the products he recommended was the Duracell LED. If you can find that article, there were several good tips in it for choosing the best LED flashlights. It was in the Sunday December 7, 2008 Hanford Sentinel but I do not know when it appeared in other papers.

#11 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

WalMart has a very nice, aluminum bodied, compact, bright (110+ lumens) flashlight. It's probably less than 4" long and comes with two CR2 batteries. It's sold in the sporting goods section and it says "Coleman" on the side of it. I didn't know Coleman made them. Last time I checked, they were $23.00 each. Super deal for such a bright little light.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#12 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:18 PM

+1 on the LEDAnother "accessory" in this category is the plain-jane chem-light (cyalume break-n-shake).

#13 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:54 AM

45 LED flashlight. Brightens up ur night!Somewhat unusual. Somewhat cheap!link to 45 LED flashlight

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#14 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

Get him these: http://www.maglite.com/D_Cell_LED.aspManly flashlights that also serve as a nightstick. :smiley-funny-post-sign:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#15 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:59 PM

Next time in Walmart,check out the "Metal Gear" from Dorcy.Single LED.Comes with 3 AAA batteries.Was about $18.00.About 6" long.Bright suckers.Used one at work during the canning season.Did a torture test.....passed pretty good.
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#16 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:56 PM

here's the one on my list!! SIDEWINDER...http://www.californi...showtopic=10769

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users